Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101486 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
CT too...  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
That was going to be my guess. Funny how two of the most anti-gun states, IL and MA, have such large gun manufacturing industries.

You'd think those companies would have some sort of self-defense philosophy, huh?  Sad. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2012, 12:41:21 AM »
I've never understood the concept of running a business Ina locals that is unfriendly to your product.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2012, 02:08:54 AM »
I've never understood the concept of running a business Ina locals that is unfriendly to your product.....

I figure it must be their way of giving the middle finger to them.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
It's my understanding that a lot of the plants predate a lot of the anti-gun stupidity and that the locations of many of the plants are located in relatively close proximity to the raw materials and/or convenient transport for those materials. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
It's my understanding that a lot of the plants predate a lot of the anti-gun stupidity
This.

and that the locations of many of the plants are located in relatively close proximity to the raw materials and/or convenient transport for those materials. 
Not really a factor these days.  Transpo is cheap.  Labor is expensive.

Chris

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
Not really a factor these days.  Transpo is cheap.  Labor is expensive.

Chris

True.  Though there was a time that being close to the ore, coal, railroads, and/or great lakes was a factor. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
This is true....but had Colt, Remington, or S&W moved to Texas decades ago, they would be so much better off than they are now...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
I figure it must be their way of giving the middle finger to them.

The capitalist in me says moving those jobs out of those states gives them both middle fingers. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
Most of 'em are union shops, too.

I'm looking forward to the day when Ruger shuts down the CT plant and moves everything to AZ, when the union up there gets too uppity or CT passes some stupid ban that crosses the line.  Gone are the days of Bill Ruger's 10 round idiocy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Lies Bare did move out of Illinois over politics, but they are just a drop in the bucket.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Lies Bare did move out of Illinois over politics, but they are just a drop in the bucket.

I can't figure out if that's a "damn you autocorrect!" or if you got a bad service from them.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Oh my... :O
I got owned by autocorrect
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »
Oh my... :O
I got owned by autocorrect

:rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »

Just across the bridge into Iowa, wasn't it?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »

And to steal this from Ron Thomas who posted this today on FB:

"URGENT ALERT – YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

CULLERTON TO INTRODUCE NEAR TOTAL GUN BAN ON JANUARY 2ND

The ISRA has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton will introduce a so called “assault weapons” ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its “lame duck” session."

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=86exi4bab&v=001mlQdTtwnjRDahckam4bGLxIbLfeFoyy__NjfukosErM6MPUP8j6ONIRSJbFQvJbUs63si2hhfguEl8Z30HnE7D1dTg3MRnBAoH-ABkVwdkumC7RehzveGXtBiMqVP23z8vSi6htNi4mkZRxj8BWCeioP5_x2t64FCnofEwFh25Dh6M53g1MeZ-fpVoyakQbpExdnEwbZF0F6G3kiI0n7a6eYvSGKc-BKRKnsHnWEhrhlFDsyjilnor_xjbo5ll_9
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »
I was told today (by a normally reliable person) that the various firearms manufacturers are holding off building new guns while waiting to see what new regs might be coming.

I haven't seen or heard anything to back that up; has anyone here heard anything like that?

Personally, I'd think the manufacturers would be cranking them out the door as fast as possible - make the money while the making's good.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
Cliffh: This is probably true for new guns being developed, but I don't think the gunmakers are slowing current production down at all. If it looks like an anti-gun bill is likely to pass (never underestimate the GOP'S power to cave), then production might slow....just enought to use up parts inventory & sell what they can before the ban....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
Cliff, seeker:  I disagree.

I heard rumors in 1994 of firms cranking out AR lowers and serializing them prior to the ban going into effect, so that they could still be sold as pre-94, pre-ban rifles.

Also, pre-86, MG makers were cranking out product to beat the deadline.

I expect Magpul will not make another non-black windowed pmag for at least a year... either until the proposed ban is defeated, or until they decide to shift to making 10rd mags.  They will lease tens of thousands of additional square feet of warehouse space and stock it to the rafters with "pre-ban" magazines to sell.

Glock and the other polymer wunderine makers will do the same.  Mags and frames.
--Lysander Spooner

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
AZR: Thanks for agreeing with me....  =D

To clarify, I don't think the gun companies are going to do much in the way of R&D or introducing new products. Instead, they'll make as much of their current production as they can make & sell. If any (unlikely) bans look likely to pass, they'll have enough warning to do a final production push to use up parts inventory before they're forced to switch production over to non-banned items. And R&D will develop products that will legally skirt the ban....just like they did in 1994.....

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
I wonder if these banners will be smarter this time around.

The 10rd capacity limit created two inadvertent drawbacks they hadn't planned on:

1. If I'm a criminal and want to do a drive-by or a school shooting, then I want lots of rounds.  But if I'm limited to 10rds before a reload, then I want the 10 biggest rounds I can get.  So, I'll run 45acp or 10mm instead of 9mm.

2. If I am a new potential gun owner and shopping for a gun that I might carry or use to protect myself, will I choose the 10rd 9mm handgun that is 6 inches tall, or the 10rd 9mm handgun that is 4.5 inches tall?  I'm gonna choose the one I can carry and conceal more easily.  And as a new gun owner that begins carrying and learning the law and learning self defense techniques, I'm going to learn that the law is nothing but a mockery of force and how stupid gun control is, which is why the 2004 sunset happened.

Feinstein won't put an automatic sunset in this second one.

But will she address the capacity and cartridge size disparity?  What about folks that will shove 12rds of 9mm into a 10rd .40 magazine and stick that in their 9mm platform firearm that was limited to 10rds?  No deliberate shrinking of gun designs to optimize size to magazine capacity?

Has anyone ever had an ATF technology branch ruling on filling a 10rd .40 magazine with 9mm and inserting that into a 9mm handgun?  Is that "manufacturing post-ban" of a high capacity magazine?

I also hope the 1911 fad doesn't come roaring back again.  Ugh.   [barf]

I think the AWB created the 1911 mystique.  When limited to 10rds or less, the 1911 ain't that bad.  Except for its inherent need to be fine tuned on the feed/extraction stroke to work with anything but ball. 

I take out my dad's Sig, or my XD's, or my Beretta, or my CZ, or the Glock 21 I used to have, or my friend's Glocks, or even my brother's Smith SD... it'll run hollowpoints.  Or flatnose bullets.

But... my Charles Daly 1911.  Or my Sig GSR 1911.  Or my Colt 1991.  Or my Colt XSE LW Commander.  Or my dad's Kimber 9mm.  All of 'em required extractor tension tuning (and the GSR never ran right due to frame geometry defects).  They'll run for several thousand rounds, and then loosen up slowly again.  And then they'll start slowly failing with hollowpoints or flatnosed bullets again.

Yes, the trigger is awesome. 

But to me, it just isn't worth the rest of the platform's liabilities.  Double-plus so when you bring capacity into the argument also, but even still so when you live within the constraints of a 10rd ban.

I don't see a lot of 1911's on the face of gunrags recently, and this is good.  But I suspect they'll be back on there again if a new capacity ban is enacted. 

Frankly, if there is a new ban, I'd love to see a new cartridge come out in the G21/XD45 sized wunderpistol offerings... a 250 to 300 gr .475 diameter at 800fps.  Call it the .475 PoliSlayer, or Liberator, or the .475 Declaration, or something equally menacing.  Design it to fit the G20/G21 mag well with 10rds fitting it naturally, just barely. 
--Lysander Spooner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
They already have .45 super.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
They already have .45 super.

It's gotta NATURALLY fit 10 rounds. 
--Lysander Spooner

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
I wonder if these banners will be smarter this time around.

The 10rd capacity limit created two inadvertent drawbacks they hadn't planned on:

1. If I'm a criminal and want to do a drive-by or a school shooting, then I want lots of rounds.  But if I'm limited to 10rds before a reload, then I want the 10 biggest rounds I can get.  So, I'll run 45acp or 10mm instead of 9mm.

You're kidding, right? Criminals don't care what gun they use, unless they need someting super small for concealability.  I know cops that have picked up criminals with guns with the wrong size ammunition in them, magazines jammed in backwards, rounds in the magazines backwards, 2 or 3 rounds in a 15 round magazine, and some other brilliant ones.
If they're limited by the magazine size, they'll just carry some new york reloads. 
JD

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
1911 "fad"? I don't know of many fads that have lasted 107 years.