Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101490 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
I saw the big boost in 1911 sales as IPSC got going hot and heavy, and that was way before the '94 Ban.

Ichiro Nagata and his red backgrounds in American Handgunner...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:49:02 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »
1911 "fad"? I don't know of many fads that have lasted 107 years.

Most cops hated automatics up until the 3rd gen S&W's and 1st gen Glocks came out in the 80's.  Government .45's included.

1911's weren't carried by many folks until they became flashy bling BBQ gun status symbols in the mid 90's.  The CCW movement revived them due to the thin profile and excellent trigger, and since firearms research was essentially a dead-end from a financial perspective (Can't innovate due to AWB and mag capacity restrictions), 1911 gunsmithing was the big high-dollar industry to jump into.

I remember being in Tacoma WA for college in 1996 to 2000, and TPD switched from Berettas to Kimber 1911's.  It was a big deal.  Here's a news article on it:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/Tacoma_ProCarry.htm

We’re the first major police department to transition to the 1911 in 50 years,” said Sgt. Mark Jenkins, the department’s range master and an instrumental player in the selection of the new guns.

Sgt Jenkins did about a year of research when tackling this issue... if some other major PD had chosen the 1911, he would have known about it.  Kimber has been milking the TPD choice for a decade or more now, off-and-on, in their marketing.  

PD's that issue service guns to officers typically don't choose the 1911 (with the exception of SWAT/HRT units).

I think Tacoma got:
1. A sweetheart deal from Kimber that made 1911's available to them for the price of Glocks and Sigs
2. Extra armorer training from Kimber, and already had a rangemaster/armorer that had a fetish for the 1911
3. A selection committee that got sucked into the regular guy 1911 propaganda in the wake of the AWB.

Otherwise, you'd have more PD's out there between 1950 and 2000 that issued 1911's.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
I think the AWB created the 1911 mystique.  When limited to 10rds or less, the 1911 ain't that bad.  Except for its inherent need to be fine tuned on the feed/extraction stroke to work with anything but ball. 

I take out my dad's Sig, or my XD's, or my Beretta, or my CZ, or the Glock 21 I used to have, or my friend's Glocks, or even my brother's Smith SD... it'll run hollowpoints.  Or flatnose bullets.

But... my Charles Daly 1911.  Or my Sig GSR 1911.  Or my Colt 1991.  Or my Colt XSE LW Commander.  Or my dad's Kimber 9mm.  All of 'em required extractor tension tuning (and the GSR never ran right due to frame geometry defects).  They'll run for several thousand rounds, and then loosen up slowly again.  And then they'll start slowly failing with hollowpoints or flatnosed bullets again.
Weird.  I've run a variety of Colts and Kimbers without ever running into this problem using ball, a variety of hollow points, truncated cone or SWC.  I'm warming up to several other designs, but I've never had a problem with 1911s in this regard.
Frankly, if there is a new ban, I'd love to see a new cartridge come out in the G21/XD45 sized wunderpistol offerings... a 250 to 300 gr .475 diameter at 800fps.  Call it the .475 PoliSlayer, or Liberator, or the .475 Declaration, or something equally menacing.  Design it to fit the G20/G21 mag well with 10rds fitting it naturally, just barely. 
That would be cool, but probably would have to end up being a weak sauce cartridge that existed only to make the magazines available.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
I'm not any kind of a 1911 expert by any possible stretch of the imagination. I've got 3 1911s A Kimber Custom II a Rock Island FS and a Rock Island compact. None of them have ever given me any trouble as to feeding ball HP or cast rn bullets. Any issues I've had have been magazine related. The factory magazine that came with the FS Rock Island doesn't like to feed my chosen SD HP load. Other than that I've had no problems with the dozen or so Kimber 7 rd mags I use.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
Oh, my. The dreaded 1911 vs. Glock topic.

Up next: .45 vs. 9 mm.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
Oh, my. The dreaded 1911 vs. Glock topic.

Up next: .45 vs. 9 mm.
How about we just call it even and go with a 9mm 1911?  [popcorn]
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
Short barrel 44mag unless your undies have lace on the hem.

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »

Chris
What undies?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »

Frankly, if there is a new ban, I'd love to see a new cartridge come out in the G21/XD45 sized wunderpistol offerings... a 250 to 300 gr .475 diameter at 800fps.  Call it the .475 PoliSlayer, or Liberator, or the .475 Declaration, or something equally menacing.  Design it to fit the G20/G21 mag well with 10rds fitting it naturally, just barely.  
Isn't that new wish list cartridge basically the 50 GI?
http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/50gi-chp.shtml
Okay, maybe that doesn't go heavy enough for you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:18:00 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »
How about we just call it even and go with a 9mm 1911?

Ooh, ooh!  How about the .45 GAP?!?!?!?!   Wundercartridge extraordinaire!   :rofl:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:02 PM »

Chris

I doubt I'd have much problem with a short barrel 44 mag, and my undies do happen to have lace on them.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
I doubt I'd have much problem with a short barrel 44 mag, and my undies do happen to have lace on them.

Do tell us more......about the  .44Mag, of course....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »
Do tell us more......about the  .44Mag, of course....

Just don't go into the long barrel versus short barrel debate.   :lol:

Anyone here have the Glock 10mm or 50GI?  AZredhawks idea of a large caliber has me thinking.  I was thinking the 50AE might fit that description also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
...my undies do happen to have lace on them.

Oh, behave!

Most cops hated automatics up until the 3rd gen S&W's and 1st gen Glocks came out in the 80's.  Government .45's included....

PD's that issue service guns to officers typically don't choose the 1911 (with the exception of SWAT/HRT units)....

Otherwise, you'd have more PD's out there between 1950 and 2000 that issued 1911's.

If the 1911 "fad" was begun by the high-cap ban, which didn't affect cops, why are you talking about what police carry? And what does 1950 have to do with it? And doesn't the use of 1911s by SWAT units militate against your point? Are SWAT units deliberately choosing mediocre guns, or could it have something to do with SWAT units having the training/mindset to not be freaked out by a cocked hammer? (Which indicates a problem with police, not the gun they're not using.)

1911's weren't carried by many folks until they became flashy bling BBQ gun status symbols in the mid 90's.

How do you know that, and don't you think you're failing to take into account that most private citizens carrying a gun before the '90s wouldn't be talking about what they are carrying?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:10:57 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
Side note

It is very distracting for me to help Amanda try on holsters, particularly iwb

Shes always wearing something sexy.

Usually when I'm at full staff in a gun store it's because of the GUNS
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:07 AM »
Side note

Anything we can do to help?..... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:14 AM »
Side note

Just picture Diane Finestein nekkid [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »

What has been imagined cannot be un-imagined.  You sadistic bastige... dont'cha have any r'spect fer us innocent-minded folk 'round here!?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
can't do it. I just look at the face and I don't want to think any lower.  [barf]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
can't do it. I just look at the face and I don't want to think any lower.  [barf]

That's not her face...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »

{backing off the ban button}  Wow, I hope that image is seared into your brain for suggesting that.  :P =D :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
2.78 million NICS in December.  =)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/02/us-usa-guns-record-idUSBRE9010H020130102

I suppose some of those are used guns, but how many do you suppose were new AR-15 types  ???  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

This suggestion did not disturb me at all.  Now, if Larry had suggested Dianne Feinstein, the Senator from California, that would be cause for alarm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.