Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101487 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
I suppose some of those are used guns, but how many do you suppose were new AR-15 types  ???  =|

Don't forget the Ak's. to completely empty the inventory of every online retailer inside of a week that had to be a good number of units.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
Just picture Diane Finestein nekkid [barf]

...bound in duct tape, in a concrete cell of some unmarked safe-house of the resistance...

I'm pretty good at turning most anything into a "happy thought" if I try hard enough.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
Cliff, seeker:  I disagree.

I heard rumors in 1994 of firms cranking out AR lowers and serializing them prior to the ban going into effect, so that they could still be sold as pre-94, pre-ban rifles.

Personally, I'd think the manufacturers would be cranking them out the door as fast as possible - make the money while the making's good.

Too bad we disagree, especially since it seems we were both thinking along the same lines..... ;)

I've wanted a 1911 since '75, first time I shot one.  But only because of what it is and it's history, not because I thought it to be an accurate, reliable shooter - without a bunch of work.  Bragging rights, if you will.  If I were to ever get one, it'd most likely be my BBQ gun, not my daily carry gun.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
Went in Academy for some hoppes and CLP, and checked the ammo situation.  Almost no auto handgun ammo (plenty of .380 though), plenty of hunting rifle amo.  No, I mean not a single round, AR or AK ammo.  They had some defensive .45 and 6 boxes of Tula (which I snatched up).
Interesting seeing such a lack of ammo in the stores.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
I noticed when buying new furniture for one of my AKs that most sources were sold out.

I finally managed to find what I wanted at Cabelas of all places, but I did have to pay about $20 more than their sold-out competitors.   =( 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
I noticed when buying new furniture for one of my AKs that most sources were sold out.

I finally managed to find what I wanted at Cabelas of all places, but I did have to pay about $20 more than their sold-out competitors.   =( 

You can make that up when you sell the old furniture.... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

Oddly, the Cabelas in Kansas City still has tons of ammo, including lots of .223, 9mm, 7.62x39.

Limit 10 boxes per customer, though.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »
Scout,

That's the plan.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
Gun show in Lubbock last weekend was wall-to-wall people and parking was non-existent.  Event promotors said their attendance was double the best show they'd ever had.  Given the crowd I had to fight through I'm surprised it wasn't triple or more.

Prices?  Redonkulous.  pMags for $60-70?  Gag.  Plain old A2 Rock Rivers for $1700-1800!!??  Yeesh.  Rock River's suggested retail on the A2 is a mere $1020 and a month ago you could buy them in truckload quatities for $700-ish.  This is getting outta hand.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:50:41 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »
Went to the local shop that specializes in AR's the other day....

Empty....

Totally empty....

Of guns, that is.   Except one oddball SBR'd AR, and there was someone asking about it....    Only to be told that three other people have their names on it, just waiting for the paperwork from ATF....  Whoever gets it first, I guess....

They had a couple of glock pistols, looked like trade-ins, but they looked to have been ridden hard and put away wet....

He had some cases of PMC .45 auto, saw two of them walk out the door in the 15 mins I was there.

They had some accessories, mostly sights, sling mounts, that kinda stuff...   

Had maybe a dozen M2 PMags, split between 20 and 30 rounders....    $30 for the 30's, when they'd been 15 before this whole mess started....

They said that they were working on getting more stock, but didn't know when it was coming in, etc....   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
Went to the local shop that specializes in AR's the other day....

Empty....

Totally empty....

Of guns, that is.   Except one oddball SBR'd AR, and there was someone asking about it....    Only to be told that three other people have their names on it, just waiting for the paperwork from ATF....  Whoever gets it first, I guess....

They had a couple of glock pistols, looked like trade-ins, but they looked to have been ridden hard and put away wet....

He had some cases of PMC .45 auto, saw two of them walk out the door in the 15 mins I was there.

They had some accessories, mostly sights, sling mounts, that kinda stuff...   

Had maybe a dozen M2 PMags, split between 20 and 30 rounders....    $30 for the 30's, when they'd been 15 before this whole mess started....

They said that they were working on getting more stock, but didn't know when it was coming in, etc....   

ATF does not allow multiple applications for the same NFA item. What the shop might have meant is whoever came in with the money for the gun and ready to fill out a Form 4 and $200 to the ATF would get it, but it's only "first come first serve" from the gunshop's end of things, no such thing as an "ATF race" for something like that.  ???
I promise not to duck.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
Went in Academy for some hoppes and CLP, and checked the ammo situation.  Almost no auto handgun ammo (plenty of .380 though), plenty of hunting rifle amo.  No, I mean not a single round, AR or AK ammo.  They had some defensive .45 and 6 boxes of Tula (which I snatched up).
Interesting seeing such a lack of ammo in the stores.

I stopped by my local Academy last Sunday and it was very similar. Not a single round of .223 or 7.62x39 to be seen.  The only .22lr I saw was ratshot, and there was just a little 9mm SD ammo, no FMJ range ammo.  There was a moderate supply of .40S&W, .45ACP and .380ACP.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
ATF does not allow multiple applications for the same NFA item. What the shop might have meant is whoever came in with the money for the gun and ready to fill out a Form 4 and $200 to the ATF would get it, but it's only "first come first serve" from the gunshop's end of things, no such thing as an "ATF race" for something like that.  ???

Could be that I misunderstood what he was saying...  Wasn't 100% paying attention to their conversation....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:39 AM »
This makes me feel hopeful that folks maybe won't turn around and hand over things they JUST spent good money for. Also makes a statement to the number of folks who are opposed to the proposed bans.

Gun stores here are unable to keep things in stock either.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

birdman

• friend
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:17 AM »
This makes me feel hopeful that folks maybe won't turn around and hand over things they JUST spent good money for. Also makes a statement to the number of folks who are opposed to the proposed bans.

I agree.  I'm hopeful because I've also seen every range (and my dad told me its the same back home) I've been to lately has been packed to the gills, mainly with folks new to the sport.  I've also seen a large number of us that are old to the sport (referring to all firearm activities in that sense, as the word fits best here) offering advice (I've had three different couples ask me for recommendations and also ask me to teach them basic safety and marksmanship in the past month), helping out, providing facts for argument, etc.

This is good:
1. Proof once again Americans in general do not like being told what they can and can't do.
2. People purchasing at even marked up prices in this economy, or forgoing "normal" purchases to obtain firearms and ammunition means if a confiscation occurs, they will likely at least passively resist, as who wants to "lose" thousands of dollars
3. More people are learning that shooting can be entertaining/cathartic/useful as a skill
4. More households are armed...I would bet crime stats will be depressed downward across the nation (likely a function of how readily new arms can be obtained from a state to state basis) meaning our population will be safer, and providing even more statistical ammunition to support the real conclusions--more guns, less crime.  Criminals have got to be viewing this massive buy-up as bad for their profession, especially burglars.
In the same vein that airplane hijackings have been eliminated as terrorists now know the passengers will violently resist, I would get we see massive reduction in home invasions over the next months.
5. More people will be firearm owners and know basic firearm safety, meaning the population as a whole will be statistically moving toward our side, and the taboo will start to crack.

I read an odd calculation, assuming an average firearm plus ammunition purchase value with these prices of $1000 for each NICS check, that means in about 6 weeks, nearly $5 billion was spent on firearms and ammunition.  Since normal non-food/living expense/vehicle purchasing in the US is about $50 billion per month, that means that firearms are accounting for nearly 5 PERCENT of the consumer goods economy, which is crazy!  It also means that if you assume an average car payment of $300/month per household, and 100 million households, that means that on average one in six households is spending more on firearms than transportation!  Those are dominating economic stats.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »

I would like to know if these are "new shooters" or just people that had already owned guns.  Either way it is still a good thing, but politically, I would prefer if it were an influx of new people getting into it. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
We're seeing a LOT of range activity too, Birdman.

We had to cancel several classes in the months leading up to the holidays due to lack of attendance. Our first two classes since the gun ban news hit are this weekend and I've had to turn folks away simply because we don't have enough study materials. All of our January classes are filling up. And I'm starting my women's personal defense program on Feb 2 (six week program) and it's filling up fast.

And for the record, our classes are the same price now as they were in 2012. In fact, we're giving discounts to folks who sign up for more than one course.

SteveS - The First Steps pistol course I'm assisting with tomorrow, there are 12 folks who've recently purchased their first handguns. Also have two entire families who are coming: husband, wife, and teenage kids.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
people like Mrs smith may remember I said to stock up on mags/ammo/"guns" on the day after the election.
I wasn't able to follow my own advice :'(
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
people like Mrs smith may remember I said to stock up on mags/ammo/"guns" on the day after the election.

Me neither....and I just blew 200rds getting my wife & her friends through the TX CHL course....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
I wasn't able to follow my own advice

Me too

I had to burn off off the ammo i had, because of a PCS move.

What really scare is almost no ammo available, to stock up!

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:57 PM »
I remember, Gunsmith.  =)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:57 PM »
Weirdly, I have been considering EBRs and pistols very little over the last month.
I have plenty of mags and ammo, and EBRs.
I did add a mag extension to an 870 that I have, just because I always wanted to and there is no demand pressure on shotgun magazine extensions (yet).
I spent about 20 hours of my free time researching scopes for long range shooting and ordered my first mildot scope and mildot calculator. Next item will probably be a wind meter.

There's still plenty of very useful stuff to be had out there if you consider 'assault weapons' to be the proverbial 'canary in the coal mine.'

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:52:37 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »

After which election?

I started getting serious after Nov. 2006.

Weirdly, I have been considering EBRs and pistols very little over the last month.

Likewise.  Just glad I started when I did.  "Plenty"?  Well, no, but enough, hopefully.

I did add a mag extension to an 870 that I have, just because I always wanted to and there is no demand pressure on shotgun magazine extensions (yet).

Squirm, squirm.  I'm going to try to scare up enough cash, real soon now, for a basic 12 gauge pump.  I've got my mental eye on an Wally World H&R Pardner Protector.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:35:01 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
I spent about 20 hours of my free time researching scopes for long range shooting and ordered my first mildot scope and mildot calculator. Next item will probably be a wind meter.

There's still plenty of very useful stuff to be had out there if you consider 'assault weapons' to be the proverbial 'canary in the coal mine.'

What scope did you order?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?