Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101486 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2013, 05:15:13 AM »
If you get some XDm 9mm mags let me know. My brother needs some.

Was able to place an order for 3x19rd mags with Springfield Armory for $34 each. Of course, they did say that it could take 6-8 weeks to get them.

Everywhere that had them cheaper (one place advertised $27 each) was out of stock, most of them said no backorders permitted.

I'll let you know when (if?) they come in.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
We're officially in weird times.

Good friend at church asked me for handgun purchase advice.  I've know him for 10+ years.  Never would have thought he'd be interested.  He was as disinterested in guns for me to wonder if there might be something in his background to make him a prohibited possessor (he was a druggie in his heathen days).

He hasn't even got his Illinois FOID yet.  I had to tell him he's way behind behind in the process, in a very weird market.

(I'll find something to loan him once he gets his FOID, if it comes to that.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »
No idea about guns at the moment, but you can't find ammo around here. We had a private class this weekend for a group of church guys (the Church paid for the training) and we require them to bring 200 rounds. Three of the guys called me this week asking if I knew where to find some (.380, 40 & 45). I called four stores before I found one that had any in stock. I'm running low on 9mm too, and can't find it. Bass Pro's out, all four of our bigger LGS are out. I asked a friend who manages one of the LGS to put back six boxes for me when he gets the next shipment. He only did it because I send him business and made me swear not to tell anyone he was holding it for me.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »
A church group doing some range time. That just warms the cockles.  =)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »
It does, doesn't it? They contacted us and asked us to do a security evaluation of the Church, then provide training to half a dozen men with concealed carry permits. I contacted a gun rights lawyer in GA and asked about the law.

It’s nice to hear from you.  You would not infer this from reading the statute, but the State of Georgia has taken the position (and the courts have agreed) that a person can, upon arrival at church, “notify security or management” of the weapon and follow directions for it, which can include keeping it secured in the holster.  Who qualifies as “security or management” of a church is going to vary from institution to institution

These guys will now be "security" per a Church policy written specifically for this situation. They did well in training and are excited to do more. We're working up another course for them in which we'll actually go to the sanctuary and train with airsoft guns. This whole things is being kept quiet, both within the church and outside of our training group - no sense in challenging the naysayers. Incidentally, this is one of the bigger churches in SAV, not some storefront operation. It really does warm the heart.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:26 AM »
One of my wife's former employees was her pastors wife's personal security at her church.  Armed to boot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
That brings up another thing. Ammo for classes. Anywhere from 200 to 250 is common or even up to 600+ rds for a major carbine class. People that scheduled training months ago, arranging hotel rooms, transportation, time off, etc and not being able to do their class? It used to not be a problem to sign up for say, a EAG class out in AZ and fly out there with your guns and gear and have the ammo drop shipped directly to the host.

And we cant even say "Use a .22 instead" cause you cant get any! I shoot lots of .22 (4 rifles and 3 pistols) and I have had to curtail that because I cant replace what I use
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
I actually saw .22lr ammo in a store yesterday!  Except it was $45 for a brick of 500 Fiochi standard velocity :(

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
I actually saw .22lr ammo in a store yesterday!  Except it was $45 for a brick of 500 Fiochi standard velocity :(

And I bet it didnt last long.

I hear tell that 10/22s are going for $400 plus on Gunbroker. Insane!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
I've had two people who were never particularly interested in guns approach me about buying handguns recently.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
I've had two people who were never particularly interested in guns approach me about buying handguns recently.

I've had one do that.  Most of my friends/acquaintances are either anti or pro, not many undecided, so for one to make plans to purchase is fairly significant.

Chris

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
They're coming out of the woodwork (or closet?). Can't recall exactly how many friends and coworkers have asked, but it's a half dozen or so.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2013, 10:49:11 PM »
I was at the range over the weekend.  There was a group of four men in their late 60's maybe early 70's by my estimation. In speaking with them, they told me that they had all lived in the same dorm together at Harvard.  One of them was a shooter, and the other three were seeking help in deciding on what their first gun would be.   
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
I just spent several hours this weekend giving hands on instruction and some advice I a bran new shooter. In his late 40s and tired of being defenseless.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
They're coming out of the woodwork (or closet?). Can't recall exactly how many friends and coworkers have asked, but it's a half dozen or so.

Same for me.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
Ran by the gunshop on Sat.  No 22LR at all.  Only a smattering of the high-dollar stuff in both 9mm and 45 acp.  .223/5.56 FMJ??  Fuggedaboutit.  What little they can get in is mostly pre-sold.

ARs's?  I saw seven on a rack that usually has 50-70.  The ones in stock were priced at full MSRP (or higher).  pMags were $49.95, limit two.  Middle-of-the-road SA handguns - Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger SC's, etc - were sparse.  Conceal-carry stuff like LCPs, Kahrs, Kimber Solos, XDS's and such were glaringly out of stock.  They didn't say how many, but the waiting list for an LCP is apparently pretty impressive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Ran by the gunshop on Sat.  No 22LR at all.  Only a smattering of the high-dollar stuff in both 9mm and 45 acp.  .223/5.56 FMJ??  Fuggedaboutit.  What little they can get in is mostly pre-sold.

ARs's?  I saw seven on a rack that usually has 50-70.  The ones in stock were priced at full MSRP (or higher).  pMags were $49.95, limit two.  Middle-of-the-road SA handguns - Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger SC's, etc - were sparse.  Conceal-carry stuff like LCPs, Kahrs, Kimber Solos, XDS's and such were glaringly out of stock.  They didn't say how many, but the waiting list for an LCP is apparently pretty impressive.

Brad
Even a rumor of an AR in stock and for sale at MSRP would cause traffic jams around here.  Where was this?  I was in a Walmart last evening ~ 6:00PM, and there were folks standing around the ammo case and nearby aisles, obviously waiting for something to be set out.  A little banter among them, no real tension.  Only autopistol ammo I saw was some .380.  Only .22 was ratshot.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:59 AM »
It does, doesn't it? They contacted us and asked us to do a security evaluation of the Church, then provide training to half a dozen men with concealed carry permits. I contacted a gun rights lawyer in GA and asked about the law.

These guys will now be "security" per a Church policy written specifically for this situation. They did well in training and are excited to do more. We're working up another course for them in which we'll actually go to the sanctuary and train with airsoft guns. This whole things is being kept quiet, both within the church and outside of our training group - no sense in challenging the naysayers. Incidentally, this is one of the bigger churches in SAV, not some storefront operation. It really does warm the heart.

My church is supposed to be putting together a security plan, too. We already have some CCW folks carrying in services, and I'll be one of them, soon.

And, yeah, all sub rosa.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:13 AM »
I was at the Walmart in Glen Ellyn yesterday.   This has always been good place to find cheap ammo, as not many people around here know they carry ammo.

At least, that's what I use to think.

They did have 2 boxes of 250rds of .45ACP from UMC for $103.  Some .17 HMR, .22Mag, .270, .30-30, a box of .30-06 and some .40S&W, along with the usual bolt-action hunting fodder.  Lots of shotgun ammo though.  No 9mm, .22LR, 7.62xanything, 5.56 and whole bunch of empty shelves.

I was depressed and happy at the same time.  =| :O
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2013, 03:28:48 AM »
My brother has told me that the local Cabelas is completely out of ammo of pretty much everything. He has also told me that one of his friends that works there said they are not just out of stock of .223 but that they will no longer be getting in. I think he is full of it. Probably actually means that where they order from is simply backordered like crazy.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »
The black market should be opening up any day now...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
The black market should be opening up any day now...
I figure right about the time credit card statements start coming in and the wives see the new balance hubby ran up in his "ZOMG GOTTA BUY ALL I CAN FIND!!!" spree.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
My brother has told me that the local Cabelas is completely out of ammo of pretty much everything. He has also told me that one of his friends that works there said they are not just out of stock of .223 but that they will no longer be getting in. I think he is full of it. Probably actually means that where they order from is simply backordered like crazy.
I was in the local cabelas on Sunday. The ammo shelves are bare.
No 9mm, .40,.45, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 30-06 of any kind. .22 is limited to oddball stuff like CB caps.
There are no .224" bullets except Berger VLDs, ditto for .308 bullets. A week earlier I bought 3 boxes of 168gr Hornady A-MAX bullets, a guy  was talking to was telling me the Hornady SST bullets were good for long range accuracy as well, and there were several boxes then.
The brass selection was very limited- likewise oddball stuff like .338 Lapua, 44-40, .222, etc.
I didn't check primers, but a week earlier, they only had magnum handgun primers in stock.

They had big holes in the gun racks where AR-15s used to reside. The Remington and Savage bolt action police/tactical models are all gone as well.

King of reminds me of a soviet era grocery store- shelves are empty, people are milling around hoping for something...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:57:07 AM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
CMP does have Aquila target .22LR but only for a case of 5000 at $315 plus $25 shipping. Anybody want to split a case? I'd like to try a few hundred before I commit to that much. I'll cover shipping to my house and turn it over for cost plus shipping to your house. Long as it's all legal and proper like to do so.

oops, wrong thread.  :facepalm:

I'll leave it here anyways.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

I dunno. Grafs is on a six week backlog and states on their website that until further notice they are not accepting backorders. I think it's gonna be a good while before manufacturers can catch up with demand.

I'm curious as to how this affects law enforcement. Do they get priority, or are they in line like everyone else? From a profit only standpoint, outlets like Cabela's would be the priority, since they likely buy more ammo than all US law enforcement combined.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."