Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101486 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #325 on: February 08, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
Midway had an expected date of yesterday to get CCI mini-mags back in stock.  Over the day it changed to overdue.  Today it changed to February 2014  =|

*expletive deleted*ck!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Midway had an expected date of yesterday to get CCI mini-mags back in stock.  Over the day it changed to overdue.  Today it changed to February 2014  =|

Yeah, this is why I foresee ammo stockpiling being hugely popular for the next few decades. People will remember a drought like this. Besides, "prepping" has become a lot more mainstream, anyway. Ammo's just another side of that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »

What size?  100 pack and 500 pack look to be in Mid-April.  The 5000 pack is 2014.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
47.6 cents per round.  No thank you.
Yeah, in the last 12 months I've bought M855 for cheaper.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
Yeah, this is why I foresee ammo stockpiling being hugely popular for the next few decades. People will remember a drought like this. Besides, "prepping" has become a lot more mainstream, anyway. Ammo's just another side of that.

I suspect it'll take at least three years for us to build stocks back to normal level across the board. Shortages will take a year to handle, hoarding will take a year to sort out, and "restocking the shelves" will take another year. With heavy overlap in all directions. I suspect widely available but slightly elevated prices as folks like us here stock up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
What size?  100 pack and 500 pack look to be in Mid-April.  The 5000 pack is 2014.

I only looked at the 5K.  Good to know!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #334 on: February 08, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
47.6 cents per round.  No thank you.

Oh!  Oh!  I could make a killing.

No, I think not.

Has stuff (other than gun related stuff) just taken a jump in prices?  I'm seeing some weird pricing on computer stuff at our distributor, and in Dell's reseller config page.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:21:11 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #335 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
I just went by Farm & Fleet (Blain's, not Mill's and not Fleet Farm).

Local rumor is correct, all that's left in metallic cartridges was a couple boxes of some hunting round, and some boxes of dollar per round social purposes .40.  No .22.  No nothing.  Lots of various shotgun shells.

Quote from: me
So, the stories I hear about F&F being out are true

A guy I chatted with said a local gunshop place was selling steel cased Russian .223 for $20, for a 20 round box.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:21:54 PM by lee n. field »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #336 on: February 08, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »
Huh, I have a few thousand rounds of cheap bulk pack .22. I wonder if I could gun broker it for enough to get a RIA 1911. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #337 on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
Huh, I have a few thousand rounds of cheap bulk pack .22. I wonder if I could gun broker it for enough to get a RIA 1911. :)

If I didn't already open my box of 500, and didn't live in CA, I would seriously consider turning a tidy profit on it on Ebay or somewhere. I've got enough other ammo and components to shoot that I wouldn't miss shooting the .22 at all before .22 ammo becomes available again at normal prices.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #338 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
Don't know if you could get much for it on eBay, since they won't let you sell evil live ammo there after the VA Tech shootings.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #340 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
Don't know if you could get much for it on eBay, since they won't let you sell evil live ammo there after the VA Tech shootings.   ;)

Alright, AmmoB ay then. :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #341 on: February 08, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
I have a personal axe to grind with eBay, hence my throwing that out there, Ben.

I used to come home with oodles of once-fired brass every weekend when I worked as a range officer.

I'd tumble it, sort it, and sell it for a tidy sum on eBay - until they decreed I was what was wrong with their vision of (for?) America. 

Bastages.   :mad:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #342 on: February 09, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
I just went by Farm & Fleet (Blain's, not Mill's and not Fleet Farm).

Local rumor is correct, all that's left in metallic cartridges was a couple boxes of some hunting round, and some boxes of dollar per round social purposes .40.  No .22.  No nothing.  Lots of various shotgun shells.

Walmart, later the same day, same situation.

.22-250, a couple boxes each of .380 and .22 Short, a box of .17 rimfire.  Shotgun stuff.  Empty shelves otherwise.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #343 on: February 09, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
My LGS was actually pretty well stocked with ammo, he had at least a few boxes of pretty much everything but .22rf. He even had 2 ARs (one was a consignment).
He even had 2 Crickett .22 rf youth rifles. He only had one when the grandson and I left =D
Of course by the time we get home its freaking raining.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »
It quit raining for a bit.

One more consumer of ammo added to the masses.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
It quit raining for a bit.

One more consumer of ammo added to the masses.

That'll make ya smile, I don't care who ya are!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2013, 04:14:31 AM »
Cross posted from elsewhere - Natchez Shooting Supply has at least some .223/5.56mm rounds in - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAXM193IC, a 500-round box of XM193 (55gr) for $325 (plus about $20 shipping to VA). More might be available, but I wouldn't swear to it. 1 a day per customer. I've got an order in for mine - at least I can see how my AR shoots, or I will be able to before too much longer.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
Saturday I stopped at a gun shop in Lebanon, TN (I had to drive there for other reasons and noticed the place while passing through). They had EBR's of various sort in stock, but holy crap the prices!  Used WASR's on consignment for $1K, to give you an idea.  They did have AR mags (Magpul and otherwise) for non-stupid prices, but ammo was scarce just like everywhere else.

I don't want to buy any more guns. Most of my itches are scratched.  If anything I'm probably going to sell one soon, but dammit I'd like to be able to buy some 9mm, .22lr and .223 without having to take out a mortgage.  :facepalm:
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »
Stopped at two locations in Lebanon, OR today (Lebanon, OR was originally settled by folks from Lebanon, TN, btw), a local Bi-Mart and Wally World.  Only uncommon or underutilized calibers available.  Some .17 HMR and .410 shot shells, expensive .243 and 30.06.  Small amounts of 12 ga and 20 ga.  Not a drop of .22 or larger that is normally in demand.
One guy buying a bolt rifle at Wally World.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »
Stopped by a small gun shop here yesterday.  They had gotten in several AR's they ordered the week before the school shooting from Stag.  They said Stag is no longer taking orders for 2013.  They said they had a Sig 556 also, but sold it within minutes of opening.  They did have a Yugo looking AK pistol for $875.  I think J&G sales has the same one for about $800. 

From what I have heard, the local stores are still getting regular shipments of ammo, but it sells as soon as it hits the shelf.  WalMart has per person limits, but everyone calls the people they know and it still disappears fast.  I've heard Academy is still getting AR's also and selling at regular prices, but they sell them as soon as they get them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge