Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101490 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
From what I have heard, the local stores are still getting regular shipments of ammo, but it sells as soon as it hits the shelf.  WalMart has per person limits, but everyone calls the people they know and it still disappears fast

No it sells BEFORE it hits the shelves.

Been hitting up the stores and WalMart every day. Walked into WalMart the other night and went straight back to the gun counter (at our WM about 9PM or so is a good time to check because the consumer goods trailer(s) have usually just been unloaded and sorted by about that time) and they had a tiny bit of .22LR 100rd boxes of Remington Golden Bullets so I was able to cajole the sporting goods cashier to go back and fetch the box and it was gone RIGHT THERE. Three boxes to me, three boxes to the guy beside me, and three boxes to the guy ahead of me and three boxes to one of the guy's wife who was shopping with him.

It never hit the shelf, just straight out of the shipping carton and into our hands.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
My XM193 ordered from Natchez showed up yesterday. Was supposed to be 'adult signature required', but UPS left it at the door of my empty house - not complaining, just noting. So my AR is finally complete and ready to shoot. For a short while, at least - 500 rounds won't last long, once I have the opportunity to go shooting.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
No relief in sight.

This is the Sun Prairie WalMart's ammo shelf as of last evening.  The little sign says customers can only purchase 3 boxes per day.

On the 5th shelf from the bottom, at far right, are plain brown boxes of Olin (Winchester) military grade 12 gauge 00 Buckshot.  Price was $4.67 each.

I bought three boxes to feed my 870Mk1, and rotated it to nightstand duty instead of the sidefolder AK. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
And here's the ammo shelf at Walmart at Decatur and Charleston in Las Vegas as of yesterday.

Got a few long guns, though.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
That's pretty much what our Wally World looks like. 

Last I was buy looking for ammo, instead of gawking at the empty shelves, they actually had good stock of 7.62x39.  Russian, $5.something for 20, not a bad price.

Picked up a pound of Winchester 231 this paycheck.  Next time, another 1000 primers, hopefully.  Or maybe I'll spring for that pump 12 gauge...
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
With the shortage on ammo & guns, I think I'm going to do something I've needed to do for a long time....buy some quality, non-nylon holsters. I need a good CCW rig or two for my XD9sc and good field holsters for my Blackhawk & K-38.

Any recommendations for a lightweight shoulder holster (leather or Kydex) for an XDsc?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
Stopped by the local "Large Hill of the Male Goose" this afternoon.  They had one AR (a Colt in .22LR), lots of shotguns and bolt-action rifles.  Lots of rifle ammo.  .243, .270, 7MM, 300WSSM, and some .30-06.  Lots of Shotgun and .40 S&W.  3 boxes of 22Short and all the 17HMR you could carry and then some.

They also appear to have picked the wrong time to get out of re-loading (they used to have 2-3 aisles of both shotgun and metallic, now it's one side of a 20ft aisle mostly Winchester brass and wads, no dies and only one Hornady Lock and Load press.)

While I was there a guy came and in ask "Where's the .22 ammo".   Apparently he's been under a rock since December, because the look on his face as the clerk explained to him what's been going on was priceless (Especially the part where he pointed to the giant empty space on the wall rack of guns.)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2013, 09:47:51 PM »
I had a surreal time tonight at a LGS when my son and I were looking at deer rifles for him.
There was an elderly man asking a younger man about what kind of buckshot was good for home defense. The younger guy wasn't sure, I chimed in and told him No 1 is probably the best if you can find it but 00 is pretty much the go to standard.
Then we got into a conversation...
The old man was looking to get whatever he can for home defense while he still can. He said he can't understand why there is no ammo available.
I told him "Obama."
He aid he thought something else was going on a bit more sinister.
The younger man (probably mid 40s I'm guessing) starting talking about Homeland Security and disarmament plans.
The old man started voicing his worries about obamacare.
These guys were pretty worked up.
I had to excuse myself because my son was there and I try to shield him from all of the crap going on in our country as much as I can...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »
Oh crap oh crap oh crap.

I ordered a .243 rifle today for my son.
Local cabelas had lots of .243 brass and bullets last week, I figured I was good to go.
I saw a post on another forum that .243/7mm-08/300WM brass is gone- gone everywhere.
Sure enough, I checked cabelas site and Midway for these along with 270 and 30-06 and other than a few odd and expensive lots of Lapua, its all gone.

Barack Obama

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
They are starting to grab whatever is left.

If I find "They's" house, I'm going to be pretty well stocked up for a while.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

brimic

• friends
« Reply #360 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
I was almost wondering if 'they were buying -08 brass to neck up to .308, but .260 rem still seems to be available (for now).

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #361 on: February 26, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
I saw that Suomi 9mm stick mags are still available.  Drums too.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
I got 3 boxes of TulAmmo 9mm at my small-town Wally-World yesterday.....remarkable, considering that I haven't seen any there in 3 months & this WM is at the end of the distribution chain....

Lucky day.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »
I had been considering a new rifle this summer.  I don't *need* it for anything in particular, I just have some credit with Cabelas and thought a 308 carbine would be a neat addition to the safe.  However, with ammo hard to find and reloading components just as tough, I'm reconsidering.  I don't currently shoot anything in 30cal, so I'd need bullets and brass to reload 308.  I may need a different or at least more powder.

I'm starting to lean back towards a gun I was considering at the beginning of that thought process, the Ruger 77/44.  I already load and cast for 44mag, plus 44mag is still on the shelves in some places.  That gun checks several of the boxes I needed/wanted in a new gun (iron sights, carbine length, light/handy).  It lacks the power of the 308, but will handle anything I hunt in the Mid Atlantic.

I won't be buying anything before mid Spring or early Summer, so if things improve by then, I may go back to the 308, but I don't see that situation changing anytime soon.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
Stopped by the local "Large Hill of the Male Goose" this afternoon.  

They also appear to have picked the wrong time to get out of re-loading (they used to have 2-3 aisles of both shotgun and metallic, now it's one side of a 20ft aisle mostly Winchester brass and wads, no dies and only one Hornady Lock and Load press.)

That was my impression, last time I was in a GM*.  Handloading equipment was dwindling.

While I was there a guy came and in ask "Where's the .22 ammo".   Apparently he's been under a rock since December, because the look on his face as the clerk explained to him what's been going on was priceless (Especially the part where he pointed to the giant empty space on the wall rack of guns.)

When I was last in there (late Dec.) there was no giant empty space.  Plenty of hunting guns, but not a black rifle or wanna-be in sight.

I had a surreal time tonight at a LGS when my son and I were looking at deer rifles for him.
There was an elderly man asking a younger man about what kind of buckshot was good for home defense. The younger guy wasn't sure, I chimed in and told him No 1 is probably the best if you can find it but 00 is pretty much the go to standard.

Noted.

I went into Wally World to see about buying what I had had my eye on.  "That one there."  "Oooop, this is a 20.  Do you have the same thing in 12?"  I'm on the list, and nowhere near first on that list, if and when.

I told him "Obama."
He aid he thought something else was going on a bit more sinister.

0. & associates are sinister enough.

----edit to add----

*and it will probably be the last time I'm in one.  The superficially polished but cheap and soulless "gun mall" ambiance depresses me.  Just like the rest of the east Rockford commercial strip.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:12:16 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
I had been considering a new rifle this summer.  I don't *need* it for anything in particular, I just have some credit with Cabelas and thought a 308 carbine would be a neat addition to the safe.  However, with ammo hard to find and reloading components just as tough, I'm reconsidering.  I don't currently shoot anything in 30cal, so I'd need bullets and brass to reload 308.  I may need a different or at least more powder.

I'm starting to lean back towards a gun I was considering at the beginning of that thought process, the Ruger 77/44.  I already load and cast for 44mag, plus 44mag is still on the shelves in some places.  That gun checks several of the boxes I needed/wanted in a new gun (iron sights, carbine length, light/handy).  It lacks the power of the 308, but will handle anything I hunt in the Mid Atlantic.

I won't be buying anything before mid Spring or early Summer, so if things improve by then, I may go back to the 308, but I don't see that situation changing anytime soon.

Chris

I picked up two boxes of 44 mag last weekend.  It was about the only "common" ammo on the shelf at bass pro shops.  ALL the pistol ammo was cleaned out except 41mag, 357sig, and 500S&W. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
*and it will probably be the last time I'm in one.  The superficially polished but cheap and soulless "gun mall" ambiance depresses me.  Just like the rest of the east Rockford commercial strip.

Our local store is GM 'Gun World', but yeah I get that sort of feeling there as well. I go there occasionally to look at stuff, but I rarely buy anything.

Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #367 on: February 26, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
Random note, my local FFL has two RRA 16" AR's IN STOCK.  Yes, he is asking $1999, but if you want one now, and don't want to wait however long it takes, he's got them.

Just wanted to post it up.  PM me and ill send you his contact info (I was there last night picking up my XDS)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
Random note, my local FFL has two RRA 16" AR's IN STOCK.  Yes, he is asking $1999, but if you want one now, and don't want to wait however long it takes, he's got them.

Just wanted to post it up.  PM me and ill send you his contact info (I was there last night picking up my XDS)

There's also been a lot of anecdotal reports of guns at panic prices being on display, but not moving at gun shows. And handgun supplies/availability seems to be nearly not as bad.

I'm sure Cerro and others are running three shifts on uppers and lowers. Add to that a little hyperbole, chicken little, and media sensationalism, I'm beginning to suspect that the "two or three years of backorders" is really more like 6 months to a year.

The only long term fallout will be the 20% bump in ammo prices. Every time there's a panic, they tend to fall back only about 80-90% then plateau at their new normal. Although some of it is an actual "honest" increase in terms of inflation and metals commodity prices.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »
I hit both shops here in town today.  Both had thin stock of everything.  The better of the two shops looked like it was going out of business it had so little stock on hand compared to regular levels.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Random note, my local FFL has two RRA 16" AR's IN STOCK.  Yes, he is asking $1999, but if you want one now, and don't want to wait however long it takes, he's got them.

Just wanted to post it up.  PM me and ill send you his contact info (I was there last night picking up my XDS)
I hit 2 or 3 different gun shops in Houston last weekend.  Just about all had AR15's on display, but at higher prices.  $1500 and up.  Collector's Firearms had all sorts of semi-auto rifles on display include Uzi rifles and a couple FAL's.  I didn't ask for prices, but I am sure they weren't cheap.

For those interested, they had an older semi-auto 7.62X54R rifle on the shelf for $1100.  SVT I think, not a dragunov. I considered buying a rifle like that at one point to use the 54R ammo I have, but decided it was too much money.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:13:31 PM by MechAg94 »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #371 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »
the local wally world in Sparks NV only had some 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag.
They have had .40s&w these past few weeks/months but now even that is gone.
I sure hope the solar apocalypse doesn't happen - I think AJ Dual is right, after the panic subsides things will get somewhat back to normal and there will be ammo/guns at garage sales
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #372 on: February 26, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
Every shop I've been to lately seems to have more in stock now than they did.

I need a few more XD45 mags, a few XD-S mags... BCG... then when prices are a bit more normal, start stocking up on ammo
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #373 on: February 26, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
Every shop I've been to lately seems to have more in stock now than they did.

I need a few more XD45 mags, a few XD-S mags... BCG... then when prices are a bit more normal, start stocking up on ammo

I need XDS mags as well now...damn gun buying habit.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #374 on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »
Anyone else going to gunshops way more often than usual on the off chance they may have gotten a train car full of ammo in?

Barack Obama