Author Topic: Thank GOODNESS! Deficits don't actually matter  (Read 2001 times)

Hutch

• friend
Thank GOODNESS! Deficits don't actually matter
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »
And here I spent all this time being worried and all.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100322/galbraith

Basic premise, since the US controls the dollar, we can print all we want.  Deficit spending is an unalloyed blessing, and the chickens will NEVER come home to roost.  Would that this were so....
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Thank GOODNESS! Deficits don't actually matter
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »
He's an unrepentant Keynesian.

Also, apparently a moron.

Governments and banks are the two entities with the power to create something from nothing.

WOW. Really? I didn't expect to read one of the stupidest statements in my life today.

Let me retort:

Mr. Galbraith, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Good lord! I read this article and it's as though REAL prices and values mean nothing! He's technically correct that we can just create money and pay our entitlement commitments, but that's because massive inflation will cut the value of the benefit payments. But, hey, you're getting paid the amount we promised!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
Social Security and Medicare also replace private insurance with cheap and efficient public administration.

I cannot begin to express the magnitude of stupidity in this article...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
So why do they need taxes then? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »

You, sir, win 1 innernetz.

Print your tax money and leave MY money alone! =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Social Security and Medicare also replace private insurance with cheap and efficient public administration.
I cannot begin to express the magnitude of stupidity in this article...

I thought it was comedy. 

No, really.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
The result of a life spent within paneled studies.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:56:58 PM »
They haven't mattered for a long time now.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »

My friend thinks that we might as well replace all taxes with inflation. Reason being, the government can effectively raise taxes for whatever they want whenever they want anyway, by inflating, so what's the point of the formalized tax rates? And nobody sees inflation for the tax that it is.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
About James K. Galbraith
James K. Galbraith is the author of The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too.

No, you don't abandon free market principles unless you intend to save the free market.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »

That was essentially the dumbest economic commentary I have heard in many years.  If you try to replace prudent government spending vs revenue with the printing press, you have massive inflation.  That's bad.  Anyone that passed Econ 101 should understand that.   Heck, anyone that showed up for more than two class sessions should know that is bad.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.