Author Topic: GOP has won 50 state special elections since Obama was elected  (Read 1571 times)

Desertdog

• friends
This is the first time I have heard this story.  I wonder if the Dems are aware of this fact,  If so, I think they may start to get worried.

Change: GOP has won 50 state special elections since Obama was elected
By: Mark Hemingway
Commentary Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Change-GOP-has-won-50-state-special-elections-since-Obama-was-elected-87344267.html?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=twitter+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A

Last night, Republican John Tholl won a special election to the New Hampshire House of Representatives, "after running a campaign based on lower taxes, less spending and smaller government," according to the Republican State Leadership Committee.

But Tholl's election marks another milestone. While everybody has been focused on the potential of a GOP takeover at the national level, Republicans have been winning lots of state elections under the radar:

Since November of 2008, Republicans have won 50 state legislative special elections across the country. Republicans have now gained 13 seats that were previously held by Democrats in the same time period. ... The organization also delivered new Republican majorities in the Montana, Oklahoma and Tennessee state senates, as well as an unprecedented majority in the Tennessee House of Representatives

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Change-GOP-has-won-50-state-special-elections-since-Obama-was-elected-87344267.html?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=twitter+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A#ixzz0htAkvx3o

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: GOP has won 50 state special elections since Obama was elected
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:58:52 PM »
How many special elections have Dems won?

I really have no idea how many special elections are happening, so that 50 seems without much context.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »
How many special elections have Dems won?

I really have no idea how many special elections are happening, so that 50 seems without much context.

That's my question.  It's hard to tell how the Republicans are doing without seeing the Democrats scorecard as well..
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
Well, last month in the township I live in, which is typically demonrat, we had a special election for supervisor and two trustees,

All of which were tossed out on their collective ears after less than a year in office.

Election results?

(1) Republican for Supervisor:   57.5%   :O
(1) Democrat  for Supervisor:   16.5%   =D
(3) Independents:                  26% (collectively)

Results for the trustees were about the same.

What was also unusual, was that there was about 65% turnout (quite high)

"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »
A poll released two days ago showed former WI governor Tommy Thompson (R) beating incumbent US Senator Russ Feingold in the senate race, and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker (R) beating Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D) for governor, and both by substantial margins. That's encouraging.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
If Republicans do well in the mid-term elections, I hope they don't decide to start governing more like Democrats . . . again.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
If Republicans do well in the mid-term elections, I hope they don't decide to start governing more like Democrats . . . again.

I do not hold any hope in that regard.  The same folks will be in charge of the party.  Fool me once, shame on you...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BMacklem

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »
That may be true, but at least they're not going to try and shove some ridiculous healthcare bill down our throats. (I hope)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
In Michigan the R's now control the senate and the D's the house and the governor's office.  This november don't be surprised when the Guv is either Pete Hoekstra (now the federal house) or Rick Snyder, both conservative R's.  Snyder is a bidnis guy.  I think the house goes back to a R majority.  If that happens, we'll see major tax reform...maybe even the FairTax and Michigan will begin a comeback.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw