Author Topic: Texas open carry bill submitted  (Read 9434 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Texas open carry bill submitted
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 10:32:41 PM »
Texas doesn't recognize my MN carry permit.  All the states between here and TX do.  So when I get to Texas I can only carry in my car or truck, or on certain private property. (not that big a deal, I just thought I'd add it to the pile.)

Use your MN permit to get a NH permit, which IS recognized in TX.  It'll cost something like $20 and involves a xerox of your CHL and DL, IIRC.

I used that trick to stay legal in AL & MS with my TX permit before reciprocity.

Ah, see that now. 

I still stand by my position.  I'll be more convinced about how free Texas is when unrestricted open carry or constitutional concealed carry hit the books. 

VA didn't allow CCW in restaurants until recently.  TX, no prob unless the owner is hinkey or they make 51% of their profits from booze.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »
Ah, see that now.  

I still stand by my position.  I'll be more convinced about how free Texas is when unrestricted open carry or constitutional concealed carry hit the books.  
I was always more concerned about how free Texas was when it came to people using guns in self defense.  In that area, our laws are pretty damn good and for the most part that extends to actual court decisions and application of the laws. 

It doesn't matter how free you are to carry a gun if you can't use it. 

We do have constitutional concealed carry in your vehicle.  Still working on the rest.  =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
The comment on reciprocity got me thinking also.  I know there is a bit of a history there, but I am not too familiar with it.  There was some political fighting between the DPS and Attorney General's office a while back I think.  I don't know where that stands right now or where we rank in recognizing other permits versus getting our permit recognized.  

On the list I found, Texas does honor permits from more states than states than honor Texas permits.  I'm not sure why Minnesota is partial.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/texas-ccw-state-laws.php
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:54:35 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:49 AM »
I was always more concerned about how free Texas was when it came to people using guns in self defense.  In that area, our laws are pretty damn good and for the most part that extends to actual court decisions and application of the laws. 

It doesn't matter how free you are to carry a gun if you can't use it. 

We do have constitutional concealed carry in your vehicle.  Still working on the rest.  =D

Joe Horn proved that you can pretty much whack criminals at will and not go to jail.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
Joe Horn proved that you can pretty much whack criminals at will and not go to jail.

You say that like it's a bad thing.......  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
Actually, the only thing Joe Horn really did wrong was open his big mouth to the 911 operator.  He was lucky that his shoot was witnessed by an out-of-uniform cop who testified that it was a good shoot. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
You say that like it's a bad thing.......  =|

Not at all.  One of the elements for the free society to work is for people to be able to defend thier lives and property freely.  Once you have that, legalizing certain activities should be a no brainer. 

Actually, the only thing Joe Horn really did wrong was open his big mouth to the 911 operator.  He was lucky that his shoot was witnessed by an out-of-uniform cop who testified that it was a good shoot. 

In alot of other states his comments would have gotten him a trial anyways.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2011, 11:44:18 PM »
The public hearing for HB2756 is set for Thursday Arpil 21, 2011 at 08:30; location E2.028.

Not sure if there's still room or time to get added to the speakers list - testifying is by "invitation" (you ask & they agree) only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »
Brad,

Not trying to bust balls and you are right that Texas doesn't deserve to be run down, but look below.

Ownership/Purchase license or permit of some sort required:

HI, DC, IL, IN (for a short while longer?), MD, MA, MI, NE, NJ, NY, NC, SD

A couple more have(had?) 1 gun a month rules (looking at you VA)

So, 13 or so out of 50 states are arguably worse on ownership and/or possession in some way than Texas is.

I guess the point this makes is that merely being no worse than Federal law for purchase and possession does not a "good" gun state make, it's almost a given considering how few of the states currently without such restrictions had any to get rid of in the first place.

Carry rights are now what really define a "pro-gun" jurisdiction in any meaningful way.

Judging by the regs of the majority of states (which includes Texas) not in the "bad" group the baseline for a truly "good" gun state versus "needs improvement" is now something like:

State pre-emption of local laws, more-or-less full reciprocity, no State-level NFA restrictions, Shall-Issue CC with permitless OC, (lightly limited to Federal "sensitive places" / minimal State analogs), and "Restaurant, if not Bar, Carry" plus Castle/Stand Your Ground laws.

If we look across the board that seems to be the "new standard" more or less.

That makes the ultimate goal, as based on the best laws in the various "Good" states be something like:

All of the above with AK-style Const. Carry (absolute reciprocity for all non-prohibited persons, visitors included, in the state), state preemption of all local weapons laws (to include knives and other non-firearms), CC/OC carry at 18 if not lower, few if any state-restricted locations (campus carry, public buildings must have security and provide storage if restricted), with possession and carry legal in public and in bars/restaurants unless intoxicated/impaired per driving regs, and absolute civil liability protection for justified use of force.

Though I might have missed some things.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »
HEY GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
HEY GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?

People making grossly erroneous comparisons because they are unable to properly seperate mutually exclusive issues.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB