Author Topic: Staged Military Photo Ops Suddenly Awesome  (Read 7446 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Staged Military Photo Ops Suddenly Awesome
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »
How pathetic is this?

"We were pre-screened, asked by officials “Who voted for Obama?”, and then those who raised their hands were shuffled to the front of the receiving line. They even handed out digital cameras and asked them to hold them up."

What a crapweasel.

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2009/04/14/staged-military-photo-ops-suddenly-awesome/

Staged Military Photo Ops Suddenly Awesome
posted at 6:54 am on April 14, 2009 by Jim Treacher
Send to a Friend | regular view

Back in 2003, the left was astonished and dismayed that George W. Bush got such a warm Thanksgiving welcome from our troops in Iraq, even after he was evil enough to send our troops to Iraq. So what did our friends on the port side do? Oh, the usual: They concocted a controversy out of whole cloth.

“Hey, that Thanksgiving turkey Bush was carrying looked pretty fake. Wait a second, I know… It was plastic! What a perfect metaphor for this whole fake war! Plastic turkey, plastic president. Am I right, people?”

They weren’t right. They didn’t even bother to find out if they were. But that didn’t stop this weird, fact-free, too-good-to-check meme from oozing through the Internet until it finally dripped onto the desks of our finest bastion of journalistic certitude, the New York Times. Here’s what Richard L. Berke said about it on July 4, 2004, in the middle of a thumbsucker about John Kerry (remember him?) trying to find some way to grab the nation’s attention. Kerry was having a tough time because, well, he’s John Kerry. But also because the wicked and nefarious George Bush kept stealing the spotlight:

And how does Mr. Kerry top the suspense-filled plot line of this White House, which regularly negotiates hairpin turns? Just last week, the handover of Iraq happened two days earlier than expected.

There are also the manufactured surprises, like Mr. Bush’s cloak-and-dagger Thanksgiving trip to Baghdad, which drew praise even from Democrats. (The public relations bonanza fizzled after the press reported that Mr. Bush had posed with a mouth-watering - but fake - turkey.)

It took a week for the NYT to issue a correction, but at least they finally did:

An article last Sunday about surprises in politics referred incorrectly to the turkey carried by President Bush during his unannounced visit to American troops in Baghdad over Thanksgiving. It was real, not fake.

Which would seem to be no small matter, considering that this “fact” was being used far and wide to triumphantly prove the fundamental fakeness of the Bush administration. But then, this is the same newspaper that, just two months later, would run the headline “Memos on Bush Are Fake but Accurate, Typist Says.” Fake, real, accurate, inaccurate… whatever!

Despite the NYT’s correction, the meme of “Bush’s plastic turkey proves he sucks and stuff” survives to this day, still popping up occasionally on the Internet and in “reputable” publications all over the world. Just ask the great Tim Blair, who has served as Turkey-Tracker #1 ever since the first outbreak of this particular form of mental illness.

Which brings us to 2009, and a new president who’s on record as saying our troops in Afghanistan are “just air-raiding villages and killing civilians” indiscriminately. A president who opposed the Iraq War and, during his brief, stepping-stone tenure as a senator, voted against the surge. A president who’s even more image-conscious than most (mainly because it’s his one and only qualification for the job), and who’s obviously stung by the rather lukewarm reception he’s received from military audiences in the early days of his presidency.

So you’re the president, you’re making a surprise visit to Iraq, and you want to look good. But so far, the troops haven’t really been falling all over themselves whenever you glide into the room. What do you do? How do you shut up those pundits who dare to take note of reality? Well, according to Macsmind:

…about that “surprise visit”.

It wasn’t. The visit was communicated a full 24 hours in advance and a small contingent of soldiers - not screaming hordes - were rustled into a meeting place at Camp Victory.

Got this email from a sergeant that was there.

We were pre-screened, asked by officials “Who voted for Obama?”, and then those who raised their hands were shuffled to the front of the receiving line. They even handed out digital cameras and asked them to hold them up.

Take a look at the picture at AP and notice all the cameras are the same models. Coincidence? I think not.

How do you make sure a crowd likes you? Screen out anybody who didn’t vote for you. Even if they’re serving their country under your watch.

Flopping Aces and Redstate have followed up on this. Will they be the only ones? Will the American press try to confirm or debunk this claim? Will it make its way to the hallowed halls of the NYT?

Guess it all depends on how eager they really are to flush out a fake turkey.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Staged Military Photo Ops Suddenly Awesome
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
I guess we could call him a "fake turkey" if you like.  I prefer "Spokesmodel-in-Chief." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
Ahh Fudge Stick.

How pathetic is this?

Pretty gosh darn pathetic . . .  

Ya know when I saw that photo I was thinking God damn what does every service member bring a digital camera to Iraq? I went ATV riding in sand dunes and managed to distroy my digital camera in less than an hour. I counted like 15 but chalked it up to US Service members being excited to meet / see / take a picture of the President, hell I didn't like Bush but I still would have been excited if I got to meet him. Can someone please, please tell me this didn't happen and let us retain some dignity to the office of POTUS.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »
"We were pre-screened, asked by officials “Who voted for Obama?”, and then those who raised their hands were shuffled to the front of the receiving line. They even handed out digital cameras and asked them to hold them up."
We're supposed to have a secret ballot in this country . . . since when is it proper for an emissary of the Commander-In-Chief to ask service members who they voted for?

Maybe in the future they should be less than accurate in their responses.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
Obama just didn't want to get the Corps cold shoulder like at Camp Lejeune just recently   :laugh:  Makes for a lousy photo op.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »

Ya know when I saw that photo I was thinking God damn what does every service member bring a digital camera to Iraq?

In a word, YES.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »
In a word, YES.

Yeah, people tend to take cameras when they go overseas.  I would have expected them to just use the cameras on their phones, but I don't recall if phones work Over There or not.  I wasn't cool enough to have a cell phone back in those days.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
It's not just the US Army. I've read an article written by a former Russian soldier about his tour of duty in Chechnya. He advises future recruits to get at least a cheap digicam.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
In a word, YES.
But not the same exact model of camera.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Obama just didn't want to get the Corps cold shoulder like at Camp Lejeune just recently

Friggin' Marines. Don't they know that the C in C requires absolute loyalty?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »
I actually have a pretty nice waterproof, dust-proof Olympus cam that was in my calf pocket the whole time I was over there.  It lasted well.  (and is about the only thing those stupid pockets are good for).  Some cell phones work and some don't but you'll need a SIM card from a provider over there are the roaming charges are killer.

It was probably just Army PAO trying to make everything look good.  They tend to go overboard on that anyway. 

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 03:45:50 AM »
Why am I suddenly reminded of this: http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/crossed.asp
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

woodybrighton

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
These things are staged anyway nobody wants the unit clown saying or doing something that's going to be remembered. while civilians have a right to there own voice the chain of command wont appreciate it.
 I ended up in a sangar for most of blairs visit.
 nobody appreciates sniper humor :mad:
   Although they did give me  a really good field of fire =|

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
I guess we could call him a "fake turkey" if you like.  I prefer "Spokesmodel-in-Chief." 

i prefer Jive Turkey in chief  :angel:

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
I ended up in a sangar for most of blairs visit.
Did we gain another Englishman?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
Did we gain another Englishman?

I think we did. The Redcoats are growing in number all the time.

=D

Welcome, woodybrighton.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:43:36 AM »
Oh no... not another bloody Limey... :neener:
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »
Did they require the base to disarm (bolts out of weapons and secured) as happened during one of Clinton's Balkan visits?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »
hate to be a kill joy but heres a report from a guy who was there  he hates the annointed one but says the story was not true
http://fredtalk.fredericksburg.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=nationalpolitics&Number=1475556&Searchpage=1&Main=1474871&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post1475556
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »
Either of them could be lying.
D. R. ZINN

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »
true   but wildkat is as much an obama fan as rush is.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 04:27:05 PM »
Or, for that matter, they could both be telling the truth as they saw it.
D. R. ZINN

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »
true   funny thing when you get old that kinda thing makes sense to you. i would never have thought so as a young critter

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »
Well, in this case, the truth is not a matter of opinion. If they were both telling what they thought was the truth, that would make the second "guy who was there" wrong. But not a liar.
D. R. ZINN

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
was the first guy in the room?