Author Topic: Children banned from shooting events in 2012 ticket giveaway  (Read 7418 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Children banned from shooting events in 2012 ticket giveaway
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
London schoolchildren are eligible for 125,000 Olympic tickets but these will not include any featuring guns, as Games organisers and City Hall fear a backlash from the anti-gun lobby.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Eloi Breeding Program enters its final phase. After we have prohibited our youth from handling guns, we will now prohibit them from actually looking at guns.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

P5 Guy

Re: Children banned from shooting events in 2012 ticket giveaway
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
How much longer will shooting sports be tolerated in Olympic Competition?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Nevermind that the Olympics are a primitive martial competition to begin with.  Javelin, shot put, discus, wrestling, archery, tae kwon do, judo, boxing, fencing, et cetera.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:47:07 PM »
Are children allowed to watch war, cop or action movies? Are gun scenes cut?

My guess is that the answer is no, so they're allowed to see guns used in violence, but not in civilized competition.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
Well, Monkeyleg.

Reasonable people will suggest some forms of violence should be encouraged and accept-

Who am I kidding?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the Eloi Breeding Program enters its final phase. After we have prohibited our youth from handling guns, we will now prohibit them from actually looking at guns.

Shhh....don't let them know about the breeding program.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
don't let them know about the breeding program.

As long as they get their TV programs and their social services aren't cut too deeply they won't care.
If a bunch of them decide they need more "stuf" they just work up a flash mob and go take what ever they want.
Since the government won't/can't stop them it probably may be a viable alternative to increasing social services and handouts anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
Nevermind that the Olympics are a primitive martial competition to begin with.  Javelin, shot put, discus, wrestling, archery, tae kwon do, judo, boxing, fencing, et cetera.
And what of the subjectively-judged activities (I WON'T dignify them with the label "sports") such as figure skating, synchronized swimming, ski jumping (which has "style points"), rhythymic gymnastics, diving, etc.?

Silliness.

Many of the participants display genuine athleticism,  but they're certainly not competitive sports in any rational sense.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »
THe Olympics is nothing but a traditionalized sports event, brought down almost to the level of ritual by the participants. There's no point about arguing whether event X or event Y should have been included.

You've all should have seen this coming when they refused to include IPSC as a demonstration event a few years back.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
Back when I was in college, a friend wrote an essay about how someday, the PC-types would rule the world, and even gun-related language would be banned.  Phrases like "going off half-cocked,"  "the whole 9 yeards", and such would be banned as offensivly violent language.  The lib prof flunked him on the paper, of course.  Now...maybe a prediction for the future?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
Heaven forbid that the children realize that guns can be and are used to do things that aren't criminal and don't hurt people.

Now is this ban just for Brits or will all children be banned from attending live?

But Danny Bryan, founder of Communities Against Gun and Knife Crime said: "I agree with Boris. It is good kids should enjoy the Games but there's no way we should glorify guns."

So they can't go to the fencing competitions either.  That would just glorify swoards.

And I see it just pertains to the "free" tickets.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
Back when I was in college, a friend wrote an essay about how someday, the PC-types would rule the world, and even gun-related language would be banned.  Phrases like "going off half-cocked,"  "the whole 9 yeards", and such would be banned as offensivly violent language.  The lib prof flunked him on the paper, of course.  Now...maybe a prediction for the future?

How is "the whole 9 yards" a violent phrase?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »

Yeah. Last I knew, it referred to a mix-truck-load of cement.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
There are a couple of explanations of the origin of this phrase dating back to the age of sail, but the most common explanation today is that nine yards was reputedly the length of the ammo belt in a WWII fighter . . . IIRC, a P-51 Mustang.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
--Lysander Spooner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
I've always heard it explained as the ammo belt one.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-whole-nine-yards.html

Interesting read.

Interesting read, but the author (being a literary person) looked for the instances in print, rather than an obvious method which was to see if any of the possibilities (e.g. Ammo belt) actually WERE 9 yards.

For example, according to Wikipedia, the inner two M2's on a p-51D had 400 rounds of ammunition each, the outer four guns 270 rnds  The base diameter of a 50BMG is about 0.8" and in a belt they are 0.4" apart.  400 rounds is thus 480" and 270 rounds, 270-324".  Since 9 yards is 324", it seems REALLY FREAKIN COINCIDENTAL that the p-51's were carrying around 9 yards of ammo for 2/3rds of their armament, and since all the guns fired, the "whole nine yards" meant the outer guns would be dry. (btw, the spitfire used 303cal belts and 20mm drums, so that doesn't work).  Since none of the other explanations actually match up, why not conclude print is dumb and the most used explanation is actually the real one? 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
Interesting read, but the author (being a literary person) looked for the instances in print, rather than an obvious method which was to see if any of the possibilities (e.g. Ammo belt) actually WERE 9 yards.

For example, according to Wikipedia, the inner two M2's on a p-51D had 400 rounds of ammunition each, the outer four guns 270 rnds  The base diameter of a 50BMG is about 0.8" and in a belt they are 0.4" apart.  400 rounds is thus 480" and 270 rounds, 270-324".  Since 9 yards is 324", it seems REALLY FREAKIN COINCIDENTAL that the p-51's were carrying around 9 yards of ammo for 2/3rds of their armament, and since all the guns fired, the "whole nine yards" meant the outer guns would be dry. (btw, the spitfire used 303cal belts and 20mm drums, so that doesn't work).  Since none of the other explanations actually match up, why not conclude print is dumb and the most used explanation is actually the real one? 

For the term not to appear in print for twenty years after it's supposed coinage is a rather damning critique of that theory.

With the myriad of reports, memoirs and books written about WWII, isn't it rather likely the term would have turned up in at least one of them?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
Ban reversed.

Looks like some Brits still have common sense.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
For the term not to appear in print for twenty years after it's supposed coinage is a rather damning critique of that theory.

With the myriad of reports, memoirs and books written about WWII, isn't it rather likely the term would have turned up in at least one of them?

How many of the memoirs were written by p-51 pilots between 1946 and 1964?  It's entirely possible that they used the term among themselves, and their children or others picked it up and used it in the vernacular of the day much later...perhaps they felt it was inappropriate to use as a metaphor?  Who knows.  My point isn't that the p-51 answer IS the right one, but it, coincidentally is the only one of the explanations that actually matches the saying (unlike the spitfire one, the cement one, and the tailor one)...so rather than discount it's introduction by literary search, why not assume that the missing information is on the literary side, rather than on the origin.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
One thing that makes more sense is that back in the day sails were made of 3 yards of cloth and if all three sails were up you were giving it the "whole nine yards."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
One problem with the sail reference is that sails weren't exactly standard sizes. That, and a sail made from only 3 yards of canvas would be a pretty small sail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yard_(sailing)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
How many of the memoirs were written by p-51 pilots between 1946 and 1964?  It's entirely possible that they used the term among themselves, and their children or others picked it up and used it in the vernacular of the day much later...perhaps they felt it was inappropriate to use as a metaphor?  Who knows.  My point isn't that the p-51 answer IS the right one, but it, coincidentally is the only one of the explanations that actually matches the saying (unlike the spitfire one, the cement one, and the tailor one)...so rather than discount it's introduction by literary search, why not assume that the missing information is on the literary side, rather than on the origin.

Because a "just so" story that sounds good without any other evidence doesn't make for a likely explanation.

I'll bet there are P-51 pilots still alive. (Not many.) Someone should ask them if they used that phrase during the war.

Further, how many of the memoirs afterwards made use of that phrase? If they had coined it, wouldn't one of them have used the phrase in its intended usage in biographies or other accounts?

For example, I've read Joe Foss's biography, who flew the P-51 after the war. (He flew other planes in WWII.) No use of that phrase at all.   
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
Okay.  I take it back.  They won't ban "the whole nine yards."  Didn't mean to start a debate as to the etymology of the phrase, just commenting on how stupid trying to ban anything relating to firearms is.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark