Author Topic: NYPD: 1000 "anti-terror" cops with tanks and weapons  (Read 7433 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
NYPD: 1000 "anti-terror" cops with tanks and weapons
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09/08/exclusive-elaborate-new-york-city-post-911-security/

Say what?

WTF are 1000 "anti-terror" cops going to do during a terrorist attack?  Don't these people know that terrorist attacks are performed by terrorists?  And that terrorists operate in relatively small groups, utilizing subterfuge and stealth until they rapidly strike a high value asset with little or no warning?

What are you going to do with 1000 cops with tanks and machine guns, for a terrorist attack?

Aside from "anti-terrorizing" your own population?

This is a projection of force that is meaningless for its publicized purpose.  And it is deliberately engineered to have a chilling effect on anti-Statist political efforts.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: NYPD: 1000 "anti-terror" cops with tanks and weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Theater.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
What are you going to do with 1000 cops with tanks and machine guns, for a terrorist attack?
Collect tons of state and federal money for having such specialized (and generally useless) cops. Though I suspect that a lot of these guys aren't trigger-pullers, but intel-collectors. From this and other articles it looks like the NYPD's trying to go from police department to intelligence agency.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
I would bet that the 'tanks' are the same wheeled armored personnel carriers or armored trucks used by SWAT to enter a hot zone, and the 'machine guns' are AR15/H&K MP5/Ruger Mini-14 that they have been using for years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09/08/exclusive-elaborate-new-york-city-post-911-security/

Say what?

WTF are 1000 "anti-terror" cops going to do during a terrorist attack?  Don't these people know that terrorist attacks are performed by terrorists?  And that terrorists operate in relatively small groups, utilizing subterfuge and stealth until they rapidly strike a high value asset with little or no warning?

I shall inform law enforcement post-haste of this developement.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
I shall inform law enforcement post-haste of this developement.

I sense snark.

Maybe Israel faces mob-style terrorist attacks more akin to a war zone.

But NY doesn't.

When your police department is hard to tell apart from soldiers... something is terribly wrong with either your police department, or your neighbors.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
Well, they'll be prepared for the next 'killdozer' incident when they push another citizen too far, though I'll be rooting for said 'killdozer' guy.

More likely they will be ready for riots when the welfare checks stop coming, in which case I'll be rooting for the police.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
Collect tons of state and federal money for having such specialized (and generally useless) cops. Though I suspect that a lot of these guys aren't trigger-pullers, but intel-collectors. From this and other articles it looks like the NYPD's trying to go from police department to intelligence agency.

Trying?  They have.  NYPD has police officers working oversees in terrorism hotspots. 
The effort even stretches far from New York, with nine liaisons assigned to such overseas hot spots as Tel Aviv, Israel; Amman, Jordan; and London.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/2818211
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »
I'll take Standing Army for $500.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »
WTF are 1000 "anti-terror" cops going to do during a terrorist attack?

The bigger question is what are they going to be doing the rest of the time  ???

:O

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
The bigger question is what are they going to be doing the rest of the time 
Tiddleywinks, Euchre, or harassment of common citizens walking their dog, just for fun?

"Rights! Rights? You don't need no stinkin' rights!"
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
Just another reason why having the Federal Govt throwing money around for all sorts of things is screwing up a lot of stuff in this country. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
any outrage from new york  or at least a state bordering new york?  we've heard from international and the folks 1000 miles away
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »
New Yorkers had their sense of outrage beaten out of them by police decades ago.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
New Yorkers had their sense of outrage beaten plungered out of them by police decades ago.

Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
New Yorkers had their sense of outrage beaten out of them by police decades ago.

On a radio news report one NYC citizen quiped that he believed these security procedures should be in effect all the time, not just for situations like this....... :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
kinda a states right thing?  except when the folk in other parts of the country don't like what they want in new york?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »
kinda a states right thing?  except when the folk in other parts of the country don't like what they want in new york?

;/

There are some things "states rights" don't cover.  Whether or not this is a violation of the intent of the bill of rights we can discuss, but to just waive a hand and say "you guys don't live there" is asinine.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
You don't need to be a NY resident to be outraged, or concerned. (I was born there, but have been gone a long time.)

I am also a citizen of the United States, and need to watch and care what happens elsewhere.

If one is vigilant, and watches what happens elsewhere, one can learn, understand, and prepare in their own area.

Ignorance is a bad disease, while knowledge is power.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »
It's all "Deadliest Warrior" stuff now, isn't it?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »
so the folks in the city are less informed than the folks in flyover country?  about their own city? its needs/demands?  and should seek guidance/permission from folk elsewhere?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »
so the folks in the city are less informed than the folks in flyover country?  about their own city? its needs/demands?  and should seek guidance/permission from folk elsewhere?

"Flyover country"?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
"Flyover country"?
The area between the two coasts where all of the gun-toting, bible thumping, cousin humping, toothless rednecks live.

Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
The area between the two coasts where all of the gun-toting, bible thumping, cousin humping, toothless rednecks live.

I'm quite aware of what it means. I was happy up until know not to know anybody who uses the term non-ironically.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »

If they honestly believe their civilian police force should morph into a para-military intel orginization? Then yes, they are uninformed about their city.