Author Topic: Home Raided Over Facebook Photo of Son With Rifle  (Read 7474 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Home Raided Over Facebook Photo of Son With Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:21:13 AM »
It will get worse.  More raids, aka "inspections", traumatized families, etc.  Coming soon to homes near you.
And the cops will probably make life 'interesting' for the gentleman in the story because he refused to cooperate.  They will be back I would bet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:06:40 AM »
But I thought "most" of the cops were good guys on our side?

I wonder if I'm on a "list" after posting a pic of the grand son with the Cricket rifle?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:20:15 AM »
And NJ just keeps giving me new reasons to be glad I got out of that hellhole.

But I thought "most" of the cops were good guys on our side?
Like so many other things, location location location.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »
"The War on Gunownership".. that's what is going on here  :mad:

How many here have a competent legal representative on retainer? It's coming to a time where even trivial involvement with firearms may get you 'special' government treatment.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
The kid in the photo no doubt has better trigger finger discipline than the cops. No way would I let them into my house either.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
And the cops will probably make life 'interesting' for the gentleman in the story because he refused to cooperate.  They will be back I would bet.

Of course they will- when the family is gone during the day at work/school. All they need is to 'hear' or 'smell' something suspiscious and they have 'probable cause' to burglarize check out the premises.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »
But the person who reported the false allegations of abuse cannot be held liable, she noted.

“You can’t be prosecuted for making an allegation of child abuse –even if it’s false,” she said.

They also said they investigate all reports.  Somehow I doubt that would hold up if citizens started reporting allegations on local politicians and police officers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
So I guess it was not entirely clear.  The police showed up.  The wife didn't let them in and texted the husband who showed up and refused to let them in with his attorney on speakerphone.  So the house wasn't actually raided. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Home Raided Over Facebook Photo of Son With Rifle
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »
So I guess it was not entirely clear.  The police showed up.  The wife didn't let them in and texted the husband who showed up and refused to let them in with his attorney on speakerphone.  So the house wasn't actually raided. 

Oh now you want to go all reality?!

Al jones is taking you off his mail list.

Seems like cps is the bad guy here and to a great extent their hands are tied. They HAVE to check all complaints. And the cops are stuck going with em.

In the real world an incident luke this is known as a get outa jail free. If the cops wanted to play the "i smell something game they woulda done it then.
Doing it when no ones home doesn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
Not quite.
His initial report:
http://www.deloc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8175
The fight has officially been brought to my front door

Last night I was out with a buddy of mine. I got a text from my wife that the cops and dyfs are at the house and they wanna check out my guns and needed me to open my safe.
I'm instantly on my way. I get in contact with evan Nappen on the way. I explain the situation. I walk in my house and hand the phone to the first cop I see. Then direct all of em outside. Dyfs got a call because of a pic on my son holding a gun. They wanted to look around and check all my guns out, make sure they were all registered. Obviously that didn't go well because I refused. I had Nappen on speaker phone the entire time so they had to deal with both of us. They kept trying to pressure me to open my safe. They had no warrant, no charges, nothing. I didn't budge. I was told I was being "unreasonable" and that I was acting suspicious because I wouldn't open my safe. Told me they were gonna get a search warrant. Told em go ahead. Nappen (my lawyer) asked me for the dyfs workers name. she wouldnt give it. i asked for credentials and she wouldnt show em. i tried to take a pic of her and she turned around real fast and walked away. After a while of them threatening to take my kids, get warrants and intimidation they left. Empty handed and seeing nothing.

People it can happen that fast. Most people wouldn't have stood up to them like I did.
Emphasis mine.

The cops and DYFS employee were in the home (presumably let in by the wife) and demanded that he open his gun safe.  He declined and told them to leave his house.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »

The guy did the right thing. No warrant, no entry. 

Yes, theoretically, Child Welfare have to investigate every allegation. And it's not unexpected the police tag along. Blame should go to a) person that called it in, and b) the police for unreasonable widening the scope from child endangerment to a fishing expedition. Is the kid in the safe? No? Can the guy legally have the firearms? Yes? Next item on the checklist.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »
While the thread title may a bit hyperbolic, cops/DYFS showed up, warrantless, with expectation of entry and search, demanding same until refused. This implied assumption of power is the problem. A homeowner who expects legal procedure to be followed is "unreasonable". Where have we heard that before?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
Actually, most bothersome to me after the clear intimidation of lawful gun owners is the fact that the DYFS official refused to provide a name or credentials. THAT is extremely wrong.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
Actually, most bothersome to me after the clear intimidation of lawful gun owners is the fact that the DYFS official refused to provide a name or credentials. THAT is extremely wrong.

yup  and that should hurt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
I certainly can't speak for NJ, but in many states, it is illegal to make a false report of child abuse.  Maybe this is the case in NJ, but I am skeptical.

I was a contract therapist for a number of years for my state's CPS.  In Michigan, they do not have to investigate every claim of child abuse.  They have to investigate every credible claim of child abuse.  If someone calls in with something that is BS or not actual abuse, this is not going to be investigated.  CPS, for the most part, has plenty of work to do with real, actual child abuse.

I wonder if there is more to this besides a Facebook picture.  I am not suggesting actual abuse, but I wonder if this guy has some one that is mad at him and has made other allegations.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
"The War on Gunownership".. that's what is going on here  :mad:

How many here have a competent legal representative on retainer? It's coming to a time where even trivial involvement with firearms may get you 'special' government treatment.

I put the CalGuns Foundation hotline in my cell contacts last year. They specifically set it up so CA gun owners can do what this guy did - get an attorney on the line ASAP and hand the phone to the cops.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
They also said they investigate all reports.  Somehow I doubt that would hold up if citizens started reporting allegations on local politicians and police officers. 

Back when I was a prosecutor, and handled a nasty child abuse case, the defendant's family called in a report allegation on me to Child Protective Services.  They showed up to investigate.  he was 2, so an interview was out of the question, but they did check his back for the alleged bruising (with  my consent).

Oh, and the two people who called in the referrals were prosecuted.  Ohio has a law making it illegal to knowingly make false child abuse allegations.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
Forgot to add, the OP's story is crap.

Back when I was a new prosecutor working child neglect cases for CPS, I was asked to get a removal order because a man took his 7 year old out and let her shoot guns with him.  "Hell no!" was the response she got.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
Forgot to add, the OP's story is crap.

Back when I was a new prosecutor working child neglect cases for CPS, I was asked to get a removal order because a man took his 7 year old out and let her shoot guns with him.  "Hell no!" was the response she got.
How is that relevant to the OP?  This wasn't a removal order, this was an "investigation" in which the CPS analog was accompanied by at least three LEOs.  How does the fact that you once denied a removal order have any bearing on this case?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
How is that relevant to the OP?  This wasn't a removal order, this was an "investigation" in which the CPS analog was accompanied by at least three LEOs.  How does the fact that you once denied a removal order have any bearing on this case?

Because he's offering the sane alternative to the reactionary silliness by the authorities in this case?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
this illustrates the problem I have with registration.
big brother doesn't need to know who owns what.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friends

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
Call me.  I can tell you about real child abuse from my LE days.  Lit cigarettes and electric stoves do not make good companions for little kids.  A flight of stairs in handcuffs makes a good companion for his mother.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
>Actually, most bothersome to me after the clear intimidation of lawful gun owners is the fact that the DYFS official refused to provide a name or credentials. THAT is extremely wrong.<

That's what stuck with me, too...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)