Author Topic: A couple of really bad days  (Read 1343 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
A couple of really bad days
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »
Man, when it rains it pours.

Yesterday, I got a call from my accountant. My corporate taxes are ready, but he wants to talk to me about some things I did wrong last year that could get me into trouble. Great.

My dad was released from the hospital. They had him there for evaluation for five days after a bad fall. The release was the good news. The bad news was that they transferred him to a rehab center for physical therapy and other therapy. Supposed to be for two weeks. He's 90, mom's 90, and mom is now alone. There's no place for anyone to sleep at their house, and we only have one bed here.

My brother called late last night to tell me that the rehab center called to say my dad's heart was really bad, and he only had 40% use of his kidneys. The panic in my brother's voice sent me into a panic. I called the rehab center, got the nurse on the phone, and found out that they were just reviewing his history. Nothing new. But they wanted to know if we wanted him revived if he had a heart attack or something like that. She explained that CPR on a 90 year-old could leave him a vegetable. After lots of calls between brothers, we agreed that they should not attempt to revive him. That was a fun decision.

Went to see my dad today, and to talk with the therapists and staff. He's not going to be there for two weeks. He's going to be there for a month.

Meanwhile, he's alternating between crying and shouting. He doesn't know where he is, and wants to go home. He doesn't understand that he has to go through the therapy. If he has another serious fall, the county social services will just put him in a nursing home, probably a hell-hole. He doesn't understand this. He just kept asking my mom and I why we're doing this to him. He thinks he's coming home tomorrow.

My mother's 90th birthday was yesterday. She went for her driver's license renewal, but they want her to take a road test. She thinks she's going to pass. She won't. Then what?

My wife and I took my mom out for a birthday dinner tonight. When I took her home, we talked for awhile. I found out  that my SIL (whom I've never trusted) got my folks' social security numbers a couple of weeks ago. Also, there was a letter from the bank saying that someone had tried to create a PIN for their bank account. That's no coincidence. My SIL is trying to figure out a way to rip them off.

When I finally got home this evening, I checked the traffic for my website. Traffic was down by 40%. I checked my rankings on Google. All of the phrases I've been ranking first-page for have disappeared completely. In light of the situation with my folks, this wouldn't be a big deal, except the website is now my sole source of income. And I have an advertiser who's paid $2K for a month to test click-throughs from my site. The test period ends on Monday. When he sees that traffic from my site to his has dropped by 50% over the final few days of testing, well....

Another call to my brother this evening about my dad. We now have power of attorney, and my brother finally got his hands on my folks' financial info after years of my father refusing to share it. They don't have even half the money we thought they did, meaning assisted living/nursing home care is going to eat up all of their money long before my mom passes away. (She'll live to be 100 easily).

Sorry for the long rant, but I feel like I just stuck my fingers in a 220 outlet.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: A couple of really bad days
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
That answers the question that came to mind when I read your comment in the "New Rules" thread:
Thanks, Grampster. That's the first laugh I've had in a couple of days.

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes and hope that things get better for you soon.
Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:14:01 PM »
Ditto what Lady said.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »
Oh Man; sorry for the troubles piling up on you, ML. One of the greatest surprises I've encountered in later life has been the agonies associated with the end of parents' lives. I was totally unprepared for the time, attention, proximity, monetary, and emotional requirements surrounding dementia, injuries, and illnesses. And of course, by the time that's all over, they're gone, leaving a hole in the fabric that was your life.

Take heart, Man, and just do the best you can.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:23:45 AM »
Praying for you and your family...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:24:44 AM »
I know exactly how you feel. I was facing a lot of the same situation when my Dad fell and subsequently died last year.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Vile Nylons

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 05:35:35 AM »
I empathize with you. The protracted ilnesses and passing of my parents were the harshest days I have ever endured.

You might consider establishing a medical power of authority [medical proxy] so that family dissension does not intrude when proper decisions have to be made. This authority should be reviewed with the medical staff thoroughly. Their default in crisis is Hypocratic Oath which at end of life might be the wrong direction as it was w/ my father. His end was not as merciful as it should have been. It will be a tough spot for your mom as well.

And protect your health as well. I gave 5 years of 24/7 [only child] which I do not begrudge and would not change but it harmed me permanently [fibromyalgia]. I should have been a little more self loving/protective.

Take care and all the best to you.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 05:39:25 AM »
I can click some links for you
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:03:15 AM »
I can click some links for you

Me too.  What's the state and shop location?  We'll do what we can to help.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:06:31 AM »
What you're going through is heartbreaking and unbelievably difficult.  Your description of your parent's situation really hit home, because all that happened with my folks between 2003 and 2005.  It was two years of hell for all of us.

Dad had a stroke in 2003 that left him paralyzed on the left side. He couldn't walk or do any of the other activities of daily living-bathing, toileting, feeding, etc.  He needed 24 hour care, so the only choice was a nursing home.  Mom's health deteriorated quickly with a whole slew of cascading problems, and she reached a point where she said 'no more'.  One day, she asked my permission to pass away. (I still can't think about this without my eyes filling with tears).   She was very relieved when I told her it was ok, and that I would be along after awhile, too.

Anyway, she died within two weeks of that conversation.  Five days later, Dad had a second stroke, on the other side and passed away 10 days later.

On the nursing home.  Medicare will pay for the first 100 days, I believe.  Then Medicaid will pay after that, so you don't need to worry about that.  Nobody will pay for assisted living (unless there's some sort of Long Term Care policy, which most people don't have).

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and please PM me whenever you want.  Maybe my experience with this can be of some help.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »
Sorry to hear all this - will be praying for you and yours.

johnster999

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »
Very sorry for your troubles. Prayers sent.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, all.

I, like probably most people, hadn't really given serious thought to what it would be like to watch parents decline in health. It was something bad that happened to someone else, yes, but I never realized the full impact until now.

My father was a brilliant man, the most intelligent man I've ever known. Now his mind is gone. That's harder to deal with than his physical condition, as I can't even talk to him. I just pray that the rehab therapy will bring strength back to his legs so he can walk. If that happens, we can get both parents into assisted living and their lives will be much better. I know that my mother's stress would be greatly relieved.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Oh, and that problem with Google? Let's just say I'm not the most brilliant person I've ever known. While making changes to the site at 2:30 am ten days ago, I accidentally changed the robots tags to "noindex, follow." The "noindex" is an instruction to the search engine to not include the pages in search results. Duh.

Barbara

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
I'm sorry, Dick. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.