Author Topic: Home Printer Recommendations?  (Read 2170 times)

HankB

• friend
Home Printer Recommendations?
« on: November 09, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
My Epson WF-3640 printer died after a little over 5 years of service. I originally spent around $130 on it new but probably 3 - 5 times that in ink. It was good for me as long as it lasted.

So . . . any recommendations for a decent color home printer that doesn't cost a fortune? I've looked at Epson, Canon, and HP units with large ink tanks that look interesting, but all seem to have both fans and detractors. I'm trying to see what the APS community's opinions are. FWIW, I don't make enough copies that I need an automatic document feeder . . . though I'm not against having one.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Home Printer Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 06:25:54 PM »
Printer only? Or do you want copier or other capability? Either way, go laser. Inkjets are for suckers.

If you go the MFC route, I can highly recommend Brother. I have their MFC-9340CDW and it has been totally reliable and no issues talking to my other stuff. I especially love being able to scan stuff directly to a network folder. Super handy when people send me stuff that i have to sign or whatever. Print, sign, scan to network and email back. I also love being able to do double sided in everything.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
Add me to the list of people who swear by (not at), a Brother laser MFP with duplex. If we need color prints or photos, my wife emails them to Costco, where they produce a much higher quality print/document for cheaper than her color Canon inkjet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
What Ben and Millcreek said.

I've used Brother exclusively at work and have only positive things to say about them.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »
Correct answer is Brother laser.

Second is one of the ones with the ink tanks.

I actually have an HP all in one with HP e-ink subscription. It really works perfectly with my phones and my Linux computers, but I'm supposed to tell you that HP is evil and you should never give them any money. They recently reneged on a bunch of printers that supposedly had lifetime free ink, and bricked them until the owners started paying for ink again. So if you don't like the idea of Carly controlling your printer from her lair, don't buy an HP. But actually I'm pretty happy with mine; I'm sure laser would be cheaper than the ink subscription but it would also probably take me 10 years to break even with the little bit that I print.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 07:10:44 PM »
Aside from the cost of ink, I've had two H-P ink jets die because they weren't used enough and the print heads got clogged beyond what the on-board cleaning utility could handle. A long time ago, an inkjet cartridge included both the ink and the printhead. The newer ones have the print heads separate, and they cost big bux. The cost to replace the print head was more than what I paid for the printer.

I scrapped the last one and bought a Canon color laser printer/scanner/fax. Unless you need photo quality color printing (on photo quality paper), laser IMHO is the only way to go.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 08:20:41 PM »
Here’s another vote for a Brother laser printer or MFC.  They last a long time and don’t require repairs.  It’s all we buy for work and home offices.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
My Epson WF-3640 printer died after a little over 5 years of service. I originally spent around $130 on it new but probably 3 - 5 times that in ink. It was good for me as long as it lasted.

So . . . any recommendations for a decent color home printer that doesn't cost a fortune? I've looked at Epson, Canon, and HP units with large ink tanks that look interesting, but all seem to have both fans and detractors. I'm trying to see what the APS community's opinions are. FWIW, I don't make enough copies that I need an automatic document feeder . . . though I'm not against having one.

Both HP and Epson have large tank printers, supposedly good for a long long time.  All those I looked at were pretty pricey, and the HP ones had no Ethernet interface.   "Networking" was wifi, or nothing.  </boggle>.  (Needless to say, I did not quote the HP to the customer looking for such.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
I'm sure laser would be cheaper than the ink subscription but it would also probably take me 10 years to break even with the little bit that I print.

Lasers are just about competitive with inkjets nowadays, and if you only print a little, that's actually a pro in the laser column. You never have to worry about toner drying out over time and clogging up nozzles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 08:59:22 PM »
My experience with Brother hasn't been great.  But that was from one particular customer who insisted on buying craptacular* sub $100 (I think they were $88) Brother BW lasers for desktop use in a business.  (Instead of the business quality Laserjet that the software vendor said they should have.)  And, ended up with unresolvable intermittent problems with printer redirection in RDP sessions.   Surprise!

(That was one of those "penny wise pound foolish" customers.  Millions in equipment and buildings parked out the back door, but cheaping out on computer equipment.)

</rant>

*craptacular.  right-click, "add to dictionary"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 09:01:10 PM »
Aside from the cost of ink, I've had two H-P ink jets die because they weren't used enough and the print heads got clogged beyond what the on-board cleaning utility could handle. A long time ago, an inkjet cartridge included both the ink and the printhead. The newer ones have the print heads separate, and they cost big bux. The cost to replace the print head was more than what I paid for the printer.

Yep, that happens.   And ink cartridges have a limited lifespan, sitting sealed in their package.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »
Yep, that happens.   And ink cartridges have a limited lifespan, sitting sealed in their package.

Meanwhile, I have an old (VERY old) Sharp laser printer/copier/scanner that has to be close to thirty years old (I've been in this house for 25 years, and the machine came here with me) that still works. The downside is that there are no drivers for it under Windows 7 or Windows 10 so, at the moment, it only works as a copier. For a very long time I kept an old notebook and an even older desktop computer on Windows XP specifically to be able to access that printer but I finally surrendered to inevitability a few months ago and updated all the computers to Windows 10. I ran some test prints on the printer just before updating the XP computers, so I know the printer still functioned as a printer as of about four or six months ago.

That's not a bad run for a printer.

I also have an H-P 1100 desktop LaserJet that's probably about 20 years old. It also still works, and I was able to cobble together a driver combination that allows it to run under Windows 10.

Lasers are the way to go. I hope never to buy another inkjet printer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 09:47:31 PM »
Meanwhile, I have an old (VERY old) Sharp laser printer/copier/scanner that has to be close to thirty years old (I've been in this house for 25 years, and the machine came here with me) that still works. The downside is that there are no drivers for it under Windows 7 or Windows 10 so, at the moment, it only works as a copier. For a very long time I kept an old notebook and an even older desktop computer on Windows XP specifically to be able to access that printer but I finally surrendered to inevitability a few months ago and updated all the computers to Windows 10. I ran some test prints on the printer just before updating the XP computers, so I know the printer still functioned as a printer as of about four or six months ago.

That's not a bad run for a printer.

I also have an H-P 1100 desktop LaserJet that's probably about 20 years old. It also still works, and I was able to cobble together a driver combination that allows it to run under Windows 10.

Lasers are the way to go. I hope never to buy another inkjet printer.

I've seen some HPs get dropped by Win 10.  One specifically that a customer had bought 2005-ish, latest driver was for Vista.  One release of 10 had dropped support for it -- poof!    But the office laserjets are going to be supported for a good long time.  You're going to run into problems finding repair parts before driver support goes away.

And ink cartridges have a limited lifespan, sitting sealed in their package.

Way back when (early '90s) I had a customer buy a high end desktop laser, and a spare toner cartridge.  Didn't end up using it much.  A couple years later, came time to swap in the new cartridge.  Output was crap.  Checked with the manufacturer.  Unused cartridge, sealed in its package, had expired and gone bad.  

So, happens with lasers too.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:23:02 AM by lee n. field »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
I rarely print. I printed so infrequently that the ink tanks tended to dry up before I had really used them.

Got sick of that so I replaced the ink jet with a Canon all in one black and white laser.

I bought it on July 6, 2011.

Had some problems integrating it with my Windows 7, probably because I was running 64-bit instead of 32-bit.

I can print from my W7 machine, but to scan I have to launch my Windows XP virtual machine. Scans like a trooper, though.

Oh, and to show you how infrequently I print...

I'm STILL using the original low-capacity printer cartridge.

When I finally get around to upgrading to Windows 10 I'll probably have to get a new printer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
I went with HP, again. Got the cheaper All-In-One as I NEEDED a scanner, the color printing is just a bonus, it is an HP OfficeJet 3830. They can be had for ~$60.

We also have an HP LaserJet 3005x business printer that my BIL gave me and I repaired by replacing the fuser kit that works GREAT! Amazon has one like mine for: $1,495.99 + $86.60 shipping, so that $75 "tune-up kit" back some 8 years ago was worth it. Getting it all replaced/installed was a bit of a b!tch though.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »

Do you have a budget, either initiation cost or per print? Those will determine a lot of what you'll probably want to consider.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
. . . I actually have an HP all in one with HP e-ink subscription. It really works perfectly with my phones and my Linux computers, but I'm supposed to tell you that HP is evil and you should never give them any money. They recently reneged on a bunch of printers that supposedly had lifetime free ink, and bricked them until the owners started paying for ink again . . .
I remember HP winning a lawsuit when it came out that they were selling "ink included" printers that had only a little ink in the supplied cartridges, but how do they get away with weaseling out of a "lifetime" deal and then get to sabotage (brick) the printers? (Presumably they sent a virus or viruslike instruction with a software update.)

Aside from "HP is evil" I looked at some HP printers this week and didn't like the tricolor print cartridge design - run out of 1 color ink, you have to replace all 3 colors with a new cartridge.

Thinking about a laser color printer . . . thing is, these days the local BB doesn't have any printers (laser OR inkjet) on display actually set up to print like they used to, making it pretty hard to judge print quality.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »
Aside from "HP is evil" I looked at some HP printers this week and didn't like the tricolor print cartridge design - run out of 1 color ink, you have to replace all 3 colors with a new cartridge.

The e-ink subscription really does change everything and to me it makes inkjet printers viable. I don't care how much ink cartridges cost anymore, and I never have to worry about how long they last either. I don't have to buy third party ink or cartridges that might not work in order to save money. I'm always using official cartridges, and if I get one that doesn't work I just send it back. I pay by the page so as soon as I get a new cartridge in the mail I install it and send the ild ones back, so I never run out anymore. It may be a deal with the devil but for me it works out.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
Using a 11 year old Brother 2280DW laser.
Don't tell Brother but I've been using $12 3rd party toners with zero problems
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
Using a 11 year old Brother 2280DW laser.
Don't tell Brother but I've been using $12 3rd party toners with zero problems

Me, too. I searched for toner cartridges on Amazon using my Brother model number, and I was astonished at the number of highly rated third-party cartridges out there for cheap.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »
I should try third party in my Brother next time around. I have always used OEM because of very bad experiences with the HPs at the old job. I don't think I ever got a third party cartridge to work in them correctly. Maybe on the old 2xxx series printers we had, but the newer (at the time) ones were extremely finicky on cartridges.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 03:58:28 PM »
I should try third party in my Brother next time around. I have always used OEM because of very bad experiences with the HPs at the old job. I don't think I ever got a third party cartridge to work in them correctly. Maybe on the old 2xxx series printers we had, but the newer (at the time) ones were extremely finicky on cartridges.

Current cartridge in mine right now. Looks like it went up a couple of dollars since I last ordered one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JA586Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »

Thinking about a laser color printer . . . thing is, these days the local BB doesn't have any printers (laser OR inkjet) on display actually set up to print like they used to, making it pretty hard to judge print quality.  =(

HP makes good lasers.  Even the $120 little desktop cheapo was great, until the cat pissed on it.  But, I'm cool with "HP is evil".  A bunch of different things over the years.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »

The fix for a lot of problems is, remove the offbrand refurb cartridge, install a new HP cartridge.