Author Topic: What caliber for wild turkey?  (Read 908 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for wild turkey?
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/452/poultry-slam-2011

I was just listening to the 'Murder most fowl' segment on NPR as I was out doing errands.  So it takes either 4 or 5 (depending on whose story you believe) .40 rounds from a LEO Glock to put down a wild turkey.  The turkey kept charging at the officers after the first two rounds.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: What caliber for wild turkey?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
Where were they hitting it?  Most people I know either use a shotgun or bow hunt turkey.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »
A fifty caliber Sharps works just fine if you are from Texas  =D

I think most people try to shoot them in the head with a shotgun - I presume shoot a little high/wide to get the head with the edge of the pattern and not ruin the meat?

I've also heard of shooting them in the head with a .22 rifle.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
I prefer either a shot glass or a double old fashioned glass for my Wild Turkey, depending on whether or not I am mixing it.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
I prefer either a shot glass or a double old fashioned glass for my Wild Turkey, depending on whether or not I am mixing it.

You beat me to it Chuck. So I'll add: over ice. Though I have to say I've become rather fond of WTs American Honey. Only one glass at a time mind you, it's quite sweet, but tasty!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
Where were they hitting it?  Most people I know either use a shotgun or bow hunt turkey.

That's assuming they actually hit it with more than one round.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
Since we're talking about LEO's and Glocks....did the story mention how many of the shots actually hit the turkey?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.