Author Topic: What Caliber for Wild Cow?  (Read 449 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What Caliber for Wild Cow?
« on: February 17, 2023, 07:55:46 AM »
New Mexico is out to eliminate wild cows. Professional Hunters in helos. I mean, their DFG could have started a cow season, though cattle ranchers would probably not be happy about all the "false positives" for wild cows.  =D

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-mexico-us-officials-authorize-helicopter-shooters-kill-feral-cows-gila-wilderness
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: What Caliber for Wild Cow?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 09:44:35 AM »
They could have made money on tags.  Just clearly define the area, make the season separate from other big game seasons and tell the ranchers near the boundaries to paint orange stripes or something on their cows.
Formerly sumpnz

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
I remember reading some years back about Mexican feral bulls being hunted on foot in heavy brush country. It was said to be every bit as sporting as African Cape buffalo hunting.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 10:42:15 AM »
I remember reading some years back about Mexican feral bulls being hunted on foot in heavy brush country. It was said to be every bit as sporting as African Cape buffalo hunting.

Even better to drum up interest.  You could charge $1000 a tag and get tons of people competing for opportunity.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 11:05:23 AM »
They could have made money on tags.  Just clearly define the area, make the season separate from other big game seasons and tell the ranchers near the boundaries to paint orange stripes or something on their cows.

The National Park Service and CA DFG did that for a while on Santa Cruz Island, where the feral pig population got out of control. The island used to be privately owned, and NPS pulled the eminent domain thing, gave the owners pennies on the dollar, and kicked them out.

The previous owners were cattle ranchers who also held hunts on the island. Once NPS took over, the pig population exploded and for a while they let hunters pull tags for the island. Apparently pigs weren't dying fast enough, so they hired professional hunters from Australia to come in and night hunt them with thermals from a helo to wipe out the population.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 11:11:56 AM »
Clearly they didn’t authorize enough pig tags.  Or make the rules enough in the hunters favor.  Plus the cattle ranchers obviously had some good methods to keep the pig population down to manageable levels.
Formerly sumpnz

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 11:40:13 AM »
night hunt them with thermals from a helo to wipe out the population
Huey with a mini?
7-11 was a part time job.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 05:09:21 PM »
"Puff, The Magic Dragon" FTW
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 06:31:33 PM »
"Puff, The Magic Dragon" FTW

OH, yeah!!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
A-10 CAS training runs
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 06:56:50 PM »

Yay !  Invasion Stripes !

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 07:45:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.