Author Topic: Caught myself an internet service leech!  (Read 7033 times)

Caught myself an internet service leech!
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 05:04:06 PM »
Isn't a subnet something you use on an underwater vessel?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 05:19:06 PM »
Set the honeypot in a separate DMZ from the rest of your network.  Your stuff is still safe, yet the honeypot is out in the open.  Use an old box running Linux or poorly configured Windows NT with a dummy website, ftp, telnet (yup, even on NT), etc.  

I use dynamicDNS and port forwarding to run a website from my server here at the house.  It works most of the time, but sometimes dyndns.org doesn't update or just shuts down my dns entry (I'm using the free service, that's probably why).  When it works, it works well though.

Chris

onions!

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 06:11:11 PM »
Funny.I read that entire thing & didn't understand more than three words.Wink
I'm glad you guys speak English on THR.
Geez.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 03:28:13 AM »
This is the kind of thing I was referring too earlier:

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/health/5520020/detail.html

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 04:08:45 AM »
G98:

Your leeches may be using something a bit more sophisticated thanone of the commonly available directional antennas made for WiFi.  My neighbor crafted a smokin' receiever out of his old Dish Network satellite dish.  LONG range.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 04:19:41 AM »
Ok I am a little brain dead on wireless and I have not looked for info on setting it right.

Who has a good tutorial on accessing and securing a wireless router?Huh?
I have one from verizon DSL and was wondering if I could run all net access thru one computer even though all of them use the router for network access.  I would like to use one computer for netaccess and firewall and appserver
Brian
<><
:)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 04:38:21 AM »
Every router is different and will require a different set of mouse clicks, etc., but the general steps are the same:
1. Change the admin password.  The default is generally the same for an entire line of routers.
2. Change the SSID, which is the name of little wireless network you set up
3. Change the router's name
4. Set up the highest level of encryption your machines' operating systems can handle.  For instance, Win2000 can usually handle only up to 128 bit WEP.
5. Set up your router to NOT broadcast the SSID

Optional steps:
1. Set beginning DHCP addresses at something other than 192.168.1.1
2. Set up MAC address filtering.  Every netowrk device (NIC, wireless card, etc) has an unique MAC address.  You can set up your router to only allow those addresses to access the network.

Others have written about setting up a VPN.  This is good, paranoid advice...which I have not gone to the trouble of implementing, as the above steps will prevent 99.9% of those who may try to leech.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 06:13:29 AM »
Quote from: Brian Williams
Who has a good tutorial on accessing and securing a wireless router?Huh?
Honestly the manual that came with your wireless router should cover this in step by step detail. If you dont have an actual paper manual try checking the disk that came with it, there is most likely a detailed manual on there.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
I actually considered that firewall/honeypot idea.  I'm working on moving my website, blog, and file server (with all the nice Gewehr98 rifle pics) home to a cute little 3Com web server, and use Dynamic DNS to redirect the URL to this machine.  I could unmask a honeypot and watch my leech neighbor pull the files down, maybe the entire Doom3 demo file, etc.  Could be fun, but I'd rather keep unwanted individuals off my network, period.
That would be best...

However, for your 'give 'em a virus idea'..... wouldn't that be poetic justice if your honeypot actually had viruses disguised as programs / whatnot? I.E, he thinks "ooh, free software, *yoink* "

(It's not like you'd actually be forcing it on him........  )
WEP has worked fine so far, but I will probably implement all the extra precautions Sindawe listed.

Good to see Jim March again, even if he's berating me.  How ya doin', Jim?  Hopefully, your software savvy is keeping Diebold at bay.  Wink
Hopefully, yea.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2005, 09:14:51 AM »
4. Set up the highest level of encryption your machines' operating systems can handle.  For instance, Win2000 can usually handle only up to 128 bit WEP.
You're not nec. limited by the OS with the right hardware. For instance, I have a Westell VersaLink router and a USR 5432 MaxG bridge. Both support WPA without any help from the OS.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 10:33:34 AM »
I set up wireless access for friends and family all the time.  It would be VERY easy for somebody who didn't know better to install a card and open IE and if they get a connection have no idea that they are not using their own connection but using another.  If there are a bunch of unsecure connections available your desktop/laptop has know way of knowing which one is the right one.  It will pick the first one it 'finds'.

What I'm trying to say is that the person 'leeching' might have had no idea that he was doing it and now he's wondering why his router broke.  Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2005, 02:14:57 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I'm going to have to find instructions for the satellite dish thing- I've got an extra old... CRAP I threw it out! Dammit!
Just be like every other l33t haxor and use a pringles can.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »
There are a lot of those spare Dish Network antennae in my neighborhood, waiting to be torn down as they continue demolish military housing.  I may have to grab one, modify it, and do some war driving.  

These cinder block military duplexes I live in are piss poor for WiFi signal, hence my argument that whoever tapped into my network and installed their own workgroup was really looking hard for an external connection.  From my family room office, I had to jack the wireless access point up on a shelf near the ceiling, then install a Hawking high-gain antenna just so #2 stepson could get usable signal in his bedroom, not more than 40 feet from the transmitter.  Even then, the cinder block walls and hallways degrade the signal strength to less than optimal.  Walking around in my backyard with my laptop, the signal from my wireless access point is downright horrible, save for a very narrow corridor where the south window is lined up with the transmitter. I came real close to buying a Linksys WSB24 booster, before they got yanked from the market.  Hence my misconception that the 802.11b node on my Ethernet network here was relatively safe from leeches.  It was, before I forgot to restore WEP.  That's a mistake I won't repeat soon, trust me.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »
Just be like every other l33t haxor and use a pringles can.
BWAHAHAHHAHA  I forgotten about that.  My ex-BIL and his friend did that to build a GPS receiver as one of their engineering projects in college back in '91, along with writting the code to read the signals and plot out the course they took.  All hooked up to and run on an old AMSTRAD 640 (http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=195) he'd gotten from his father.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

matis

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005, 10:38:55 PM »
Jim March,

I have read of your continuing effort on behalf of the 2nd amendment.

Now I see how involved you are in stopping this computer voting fraud system being foisted on us.

My hat is off to you as high as I can hoist it!

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2005, 12:22:28 AM »
Oh yes, Jim March is very dangerous.....   And I am glad.
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2005, 11:33:41 AM »
Just used my handy-dandy laser/sonic rangefinder thingy, which normally sits in the drawer.  110 feet from my cinder block wall to the neighbor's wall across the back yard.  

Still thinking about setting up that honeypot machine, sitting wide open on a DMZ through my router.  If it's a felony to infect his network with a virus or worm via the push method, what's the legal repercussion of him tapping into my accidentally infected honeypot?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2005, 12:13:13 PM »
If it's a felony to infect his network with a virus or worm via the push method, what's the legal repercussion of him tapping into my accidentally infected honeypot?
That's a bit more vague.  Technically, he would be tresspassing on your property to get the files, but there's quite a bit of noise in the industry about honeypots and their legal status (the govt has no qualms about using them though).  I'd leave out the virii and choose instead to log everything heavily with plans to press charges once you have proof of snooping on your network.  Let the legal system do your work. Smiley

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2005, 12:18:31 PM »
Why the hell are you pussyfooting around?

Get yourself a surplus rocket propelled grenade on the black market and show that SOB who's boss!

BE A MAN!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2005, 12:24:44 PM »
Get yourself a surplus rocket propelled grenade on the black market and show that SOB who's boss!
Whussy.  Gewehr98, dust off and nuke the leach from orbit.  Its the ONLY way to be sure. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »
Better yet, connect that nuke to a hidden webpage on your honeypot that contains nothing but a single button labled "Pr0n".  Cheesy

Chris

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Just used my handy-dandy laser/sonic rangefinder thingy, which normally sits in the drawer.  110 feet from my cinder block wall to the neighbor's wall across the back yard.  

Still thinking about setting up that honeypot machine, sitting wide open on a DMZ through my router.  If it's a felony to infect his network with a virus or worm via the push method, what's the legal repercussion of him tapping into my accidentally infected honeypot?
Your machine, your network.  He entered your machine w/o permission.  Hell, if I get infected with a virus from a website that I visit, whose fault is that?

Not to mention the computer tresspass issues.  If he's tapping into just the internet, fine.  But if he actually accesses one of your machines, honeypot or not, he's committing computer tresspass.

You almost certainly can't get him on anything, but he certainly can't bitch.  What's he gonna say "Well, I got into this dude's computer on his network, downloaded some programs off of it, and I got a virus! Can I sue?"