Author Topic: New here  (Read 3265 times)

bermbuster

• friend
New here
« on: December 14, 2005, 04:51:30 AM »
I've been lurking so I figured I had better introduce myself at least as much as I am willing to do over the internet.  I am female, harmless, live in the South.  I read about APS from another site I read.  I shoot at paper targets with little handguns.

I hope to learn from this community.  Seems like a nice place to hang out.

bb

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
New here
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 05:19:08 AM »
welcome!

I am female, harmless, live in the South.
southern women are never harmless. Wink

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
New here
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 05:19:17 AM »
Quote from: bermbuster
I've been lurking so I figured I had better introduce myself at least as much as I am willing to do over the internet.  I am female,...
Can't have to many of those around. Wink Welcome...
...harmless,...
With a handle like bermbuster that's doubtful...
live in the South.
another big plus - what part?
I read about APS from another site I read.  I shoot at paper targets with little handguns.
What other site? Try this one if you havent' been there yet and you are a firearms enthusiast. The High Road Oh and regarding little handguns - bigger is better. Wink
I hope to learn from this community.  Seems like a nice place to hang out.

bb
It is... It is... Cheesy
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

DrAmazon

• friend
New here
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 05:22:52 AM »
Nice to meetcha!  Good to know that there's a few more females posting and reading around here!  I too am female, live in the South (or so they tell me) and shoot at paper targets, but with medium to large handguns.

I have to admit that it's a nice place to hang out.
Experiment with a chemist!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
New here
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 06:29:12 AM »
Greetings from Yankeeland; welcome to APS.Cheesy

The most important thing that you will learn is to ignore El Tejon.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

SADShooter

• friend
New here
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:43:44 AM »
Welcome! As a southern boy who married a southern girl, I have to agree with Werewolf. Southern ladies may appear harmless when they want to, but appearances can be deceiving.

Anyway, you'll like it here.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

New here
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 06:55:47 AM »
bermbuster,
Welcome to APS.

Southern Gentleman , Rebel here.

Fried Apple Pies fixed in cast iron skillet makes one a better shooter. Stick of beef jerkey in hip pocket makes one  hit all targets and fell all game. Spoil the dogs with peppermint and they retreive your birds first.

Need anything else - just holler. I'll be the tall lanky guy doing the "James Dean Lean" against the fence post  in jeans, oxford shirt, tennis shoes over that-a-way   Smiley

Regards,

Steve

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

New here
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »
Glad you're here, 'buster!

I'm the John Goodman lookalike sitting by the campfire singing Kum Ba Yah and doing amateur psychotherapy in exchange for imported ales.

Nobody bothered to mention to El Tejon and I that a cease-fire has been declared in the War of Northern Aggression, so he and I fight skirmishes every so often, when he shows his Yankee insolence. He usually gives as good as he gets, but don't tell him I said so-- he's already big-headed enough.

Pull up a log, we'll stoke the fire some more and you can tell us about your handgun preferences and what you do to advance RKBA and 2nd amendment rights.

grampster

• friend
New here
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 08:39:06 AM »
Hiya 'Buster.
Saw an earlier post, 'nother thread.  Didn't know you wuz fe-type-male.  We redneck ridgerunners from the North appreciate the gentle side of the critter lineage.  Welcome to the campfire.  You'll be a welcome addition and a needed reign in when teeth start showing around here.  As for Fig and El T, hmmmm, most of their skirmishes are all bluff and bluster. Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Phyphor

• friend
New here
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 08:47:14 AM »
Hey, Bermbuster, greetings from the left coast *scuffle in the background...no I don't want a #@%&ing rappachino, get lost cretin! ... danged hippies *

Welcome to the show.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
New here
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 08:49:26 AM »
A hearty "Welcome" from the only normal person here. Cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
New here
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 09:06:50 AM »
Howdy Bermbuster..  

I'm the long haired country boy from Iowa. We don't drink sweat tea here, makes the pigs restless.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bermbuster

• friend
New here
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 09:53:45 AM »
Well, my my.  What a warm and gracious welcome from all y'all.  

Many thanks to everyone who posted.  I not only live in the South (SC) I am OF the South.  Floridian.  Mother's side has been there for at least 8 generations.  My dad's side is from Alabama and they go back at least 8 generations.  Don't get me wrong.  I love this country and have been fortunate to travel through most of it.  But they just cain't make iced tea right outside the South.

I'm a middle-aged broad.  My dad taught me to shoot when I was a young girl.  Last summer I went shooting with a friend of the family and LOVED it.  Nice range.  He is a cop and had a very nice selection of pistols.  I decided this was something that would interest me. I contacted the local gun club and joined.  Also took the course for CC but cannot see myself actually carrying all the time.  Perhaps that outlook will change but at this time shooting is simply a sport for me.  I just didn't want some "Barney Fife" pulling me over for some reason and asking, "You got a permit for that thang, little lady?"

I guess it was THR where I read about this board.  There are so many posts over there it's hard for me to keep up.  I use Firefox and click "new posts", go through them and open new tabs the ones I want to read.  Shoot, there are usually 15 pages of new posts unless you stay logged on all the time.

Again, thanks.  I look forward to listening and learning.

Oh, regarding 2A, I joined the Liberty Belles.  I don't know if that was a constructive use of my money yet.  Have considered the NRA but I really DO NOT want to get mail.

bb

TarpleyG

• friend
New here
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 11:02:30 AM »
There are so many posts over there it's hard for me to keep up.  I use Firefox and click "new posts", go through them and open new tabs the ones I want to read.  Shoot, there are usually 15 pages of new posts unless you stay logged on all the time.
http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=485

Just be careful or you'll end up like this poor guy.  Note the number of posts and number of posts per day.  Welcome!!!

Greg

USP45usp

• friend
New here
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 12:43:28 PM »
But they just cain't make iced tea right outside the South.
Ain't that the truth.  I haven't had a good iced tea in any dining establishment since I left the South.  Can't get any good soul food outside the South either Sad.

Northern Florida here.  Not born there but my father was born in Florida so that is where he retired back too.  

Now I'm in Oregon.  Don't ask me how I got here, I still don't really know :confused:

Welcome to APS Smiley

Wayne

Stickjockey

• friend
New here
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 02:38:21 PM »
Perhaps that outlook will change but at this time shooting is simply a sport for me.
Hang around here much and it probably will.

Welcome!
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

New here
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 02:45:15 PM »
Welcome! Smiley

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
New here
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 09:24:52 AM »
Welcome aboard.

Waitone

• friend
New here
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 09:32:56 AM »
Welcome from a fellow southroner.  At one time I was married to a southron belle.  The term "Iron Magnolia" is an apt description.  "Velvet and Steel" is another.

I'm a middle-aged broad.  My dad taught me to shoot when I was a young girl.  Last summer I went shooting with a friend of the family and LOVED it.  Nice range.  He is a cop and had a very nice selection of pistols.  I decided this was something that would interest me. I contacted the local gun club and joined.  Also took the course for CC but cannot see myself actually carrying all the time.  Perhaps that outlook will change but at this time shooting is simply a sport for me.  I just didn't want some "Barney Fife" pulling me over for some reason and asking, "You got a permit for that thang, little lady?"
You are going to do just fine here and at a sister site.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

New here
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 10:25:48 AM »
"Middle Age Broad"

That's Suthern for "I may be female - still not gonna take crap from anyone no matter my age".

I'm 50, never acted my age, never planning on it. Age is just a number anyway. I had a 35 y/o female start to razz me when Long John Silvers gave ME a "50 and older discount". Classmate got a discount too...she has gray hair showing- I have none. She is orginally from Michigan.  I told her she is now a "middle aged broad".  
I got hit on the shoulder - then she does that head tilt and grin..."discount is a discount - right?"

SC.

I was making the "loop" one summer running and gunning and stopped in a Fillin' station. Fella had the normal stuff a Southern Fillin' Station has like a coffee can allowing one to buy Shotgun Shells individually. New Jersey Tags pull in ...yep, got them knee high socks loafers and bermuda shorts. Florida bound. I ain't even gonna try and describe the wife...

" them are Bullets!!"

"Nope them are shotgun shells, Cartridges..." I cut him off, not gonna do any good..

"Yep"  reply , trying not to correct them myself...

"What are bullets doing for sell on the counter next to the peanuts?"

I look at these folks, dead serious " We aim to keep the South a Secret".

Lady looks at the Filling Station guy, and behind him is the sign..."We shoot every third saleman - second one just left".

Looking at me "That your car...plates not from here..."
"Ma'am , Southern is Southern"
"What do you do?"
"Him - he Runs Guns"  Tongue

Folks left, Chrysler just slinging chat.

Local Law pulls in with his young kid. Kid gets to digging in the can of shells...

"Folks kinda left in a hurry, what you boys discussin' .
"Debatin' if we could still lob a slug and hit that Chrysler"
kid pulls a .410 slug outta the can
'Like this one daddy?"
"That's right son...bigger is better tho'"

Cheesy

grampster

• friend
New here
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »
sm,

If she gots grey hair and she's from Michigan, you need to be very, very, very careful in her presence.  She'll hand you yer lunch and then eat it while you lay on the ground watchin'.  That little love tap she gave you on the shoulder is sorta like the mutter of a little thunder when you start to see the smudge on the horizon.

We raise em up to handle themselves up here in ridgrunner country, son. Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

New here
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »
gramster,
figured that would awake you from your nap.

Barbara - before you jump my case...

Classmate could take care of herself. Had to teach her "Southern"-like "tump", and "saucered and blowed".
She had a great sense of humor - "Is that Southern for a great first date?".  

Now I really surprised her, I asked if she knew about the filet migon from a Walleye. She stepped back, tilted that head the way women do..."You are not--.err...I mean ...ain't supposed to know about that...".

She was letting her hair go to show 'maturity' for a job interview. Then she did the hair coloring bit with accents..."Needed to get the job and piss off the young and nubile".

We were somewhere and she told another gal she "was crazy as a loon".  " ...and listen you little hussie, I'm from Michigan and I KNOW how crazy loons get..".

Hey, I stayed out of it. She does "loons" I do "road ticks". Who says folks cannot work as team no matter which side of Mason-Dixon line they are from?.  

Tongue

New here
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 03:30:32 PM »
Now how the heck did I get in the middle of this one?

Sweet little old me...sheesh.

grampster

• friend
New here
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
Barbara, Michigan, female, In the middle, what can I say.  You got my back, and I'm seriously content.