Author Topic: Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays (funny)  (Read 1660 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays (funny)
« on: December 16, 2005, 03:46:11 AM »
To all those getting worked up over this issue, Scott Kurtz has said it all:

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:43:50 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's beautiful!
Hi.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 04:51:16 AM »
I don't worry about it.  I learned to say, "Merry Christmas!" back around 1937.  I'm probably too set in my ways to bother changing...

So, Merry Christmas, everybody!

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 07:39:04 AM »
Merry Christmas! doesn't bother me.  Neither does Happy Hollidays!

I get little enough in the way of well wishing that I tend to accept what I can get ... even if I don't celebrate the Capitolistian holiday of December 25th.

I take greetings and expressions of joy in the spirit that they're given.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:24:16 AM »
I think we were probably discussing the same stuff last year.  My comment then was as it is now.  The expression of good wishes given should be taken in the spirit in which it is given..doesn't necessarly matter what package it's wrapped up in.   However, any attempt to neutralize the personal meaning or motive of the giver in order to satisfy some misbegotten notion of inclusiveness deserves contempt.

My holiday is Christmas.   In the spirit of my good will toward you cyber miscreants....Merry Christmas to you all.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 10:42:09 AM »
Not much to do with Christmas, particularly, but this sorta calls to mind a comment from a lady I was runnin' some years back. I was casually commenting on why I did some of the things I've always done:  "You just like to see people be happy, don't you?"

Somebody's gotta splain it to me why I'd want it otherwise...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:48:53 AM »
Like Art, My mouth started saying "Merry Christmas" before the war.  (That's WWII to you children.)  
Still, I don't have a problem with "Happy Holidays".

I AM getting tired of hearing Vaughn Monroe singing "let it snow" on the PA system, though.  Some really good Christmas music ("the first Noel"  "God Rest you Merry", "Little Drummer Boy") belong with the season.
Just as burning leaves, hickory nuts and football games go with Fall.

Fud.
Change is Bad!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »
That's cute..
I'm not offended by Happy Holidays..
I am somewhat offended when an employer tells me to be sure to say ONLY happy holidays in the interest of not offending anyone.
Tell me to say happy holidays because its YOUR business and you pay me to do what you say. But DON"T tell me its to appease some mysterious highly sensitive customer base.

Tell the truth.. "We are simply afraid of any and all potencial legal action, no matter what the actual legitimacy of it's claim may be."
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 03:35:06 PM »
I am somewhat offended when an employer tells me to be sure to say ONLY happy holidays in the interest of not offending anyone.
Bingo! I say Merry Christmas unless I know for certain the holiday isn't celebrated, although honestly, the only people I know who don't celebrate it at least in a secular way are Jehovah's Witnesses.  Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Pagan..doesn't matter..you try telling your kids they're not getting a stocking. Smiley

On the other hand, if I lived or worked in an area that had a large population of people of other religions, I would probably choose to say Happy Holidays, just cause its easier.

So I say Merry Christmas but am not offended at *all* by Happy Holidays. But I am offended by the lack of any religious symbolism tolerated in the workplace.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 03:36:32 PM »
Because seriously, other than that woman at McDonalds, does anyone *know* of anyone who was ever offended by being wished a Merry Christmas?

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 04:07:40 PM »
Try saying "Happy Hanukkah" or, if your daring, "Happy Solstice". It will give you a nice new definition of what people mean when they demand tollerance for their ideas.

I have a hard time understanding why people throw their arms up against "political correctness" and then turn around and demand that things be said in the way that they wish. That's just a different kind of PC.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 04:10:38 PM »
Or Happy Kwanza!

Because you'll get people that buy crap every Sweetest Day complaining  that "It's not a real holiday."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 06:57:17 PM »
Merry Christmas from an atheist.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.