Author Topic: High Standard problem!  (Read 1170 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
High Standard problem!
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
Benched my High Standard tonight. Absolutely putting the first cold shot in the 6 ring at 5:00. Does this consistently. Thought it was me. For a while.  :facepalm:

Other than check the scope and making sure it's tight, got any suggestions?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: High Standard problem!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
Magazine.  Try downloading the mag by one and see if it does the same thing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
I only load 5 rounds in a 10 round mag but I'll give it a try. Someone has suggested mag issues but it's happened so regularly on the first shot I can't believe I pick the same one out of 4 to start with every time. I'm going to clean it and the mags up tomorrow and see if that has any effect.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
Other than check the scope and making sure it's tight, got any suggestions?

Start aiming your first shot at the 6 ring at 11:00?  :lol:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
You're not the first to suggest this strategy. Problem is sometimes the second shot does the same thing. Last match I shot a perfect double in the 6 ring at 5:00. Only slightly oblong. Didn't happen on the bench last night. The second shot went right to where I thought it should have. So you can't know for sure whether you should aim off at 11:00 on shot 2 or not.  ;)

:lol:

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
Uh, I hear tell that .22 autopistols are prone to putting the first shot from any magazine in a different spot on account of because that cartridge is chambered with different gusto than one chambered during a firing cycle.  Well, that's the word on the street.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »
Which High Standard?

Could the whole barrel assembly be moving when you holster or sit the the gun down and then going back into place when you put one or two rounds down it?

I have a GD. I could see this happening if the barrel gets taken off a lot to clean it from the chamber end or if barrel lengths get swapped enough times.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
Well, I cleaned it up real good and popped a few rounds off just before the match. First round went into the 8 ring. Seemed like the gun was back to its old self. Proceeded to shoot a 287/300 with it so that wasn't too bad. I'll bench it again but I'm thinking it was related to some kind of misalignment in the last cleaning reassembly. I did find a stray teeny tiny little woodchip caught between the barrel and the frame. Could it be this was the problem? Everything else looked good.