Author Topic: I am SOOO old.  (Read 14047 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I am SOOO old.
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
At 32, I'm way too young to do this, but I'm always shocked when I remember that I'm old enough to have used seventies and eighties technology - and not because it was retro-chic.  That stuff just seems so ancient now, I can't believe I was a part of that time period. 

I've just discovered that my college has a one-room museum of old computer stuff.  It includes a small collection of type-writers, one of which is a 40's-vintage Smith Corona.  It bears a striking resemblance to my Dad's Smith Corona, and I suddenly remembered that I actually used that type-writer for assignments back in high school (early nineties).  I also learned to type on electric typewriters in freshman year. 

Plus a few days ago my wife and I were discussing the records we had, as kids.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: I am SOOO old.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »
Plus a few days ago my wife and I were discussing the records we had, as kids.   =)

Just be quiet and go gum yer applesauce and watch yer Perry Mason reruns while the rest of us keep making the world go round...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:33:14 PM »
I'm 32, and I've been thinking on similar lines lately.  I would love to get back into LPs as a hobby, for example. 

I also just purchased a Wii and have downloaded almost entirely NES and SNES games rather than buying the latest offerings.

I'd also like to get a Mac Plus just for the heck of it. 
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »
As a kid I watched b/w TV, it had its own antenna.

My first couple cars only had AM radios in them.

Our home stereo(phonic) had radio tubes that needed to be replaced occasionally. The stereo would get so warm that if you had a warped record you could lay it on top of it and it would flatten the album out.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
My dad built the first TV in our neighborhood in Flint in the very early 1950's. I was too young to remember it, but there were only a few hours a day when television was broadcast.

Does anyone remember TV test patterns when broadcasting ended at midnight?

My father got into computer engineering in the very beginning. The huge machines he worked with would take up an entire house, and most of that was vacuum tubes. It took another area twice that size to air condition everything. And the computers had a whopping 32K of memory.

I remember as a kid having headphones made from bakelight (sp?) rather than plastic. Hand-held tape recorders were reel-to-reel. I also remember party lines (the kind where more than one family shared, not the kind where you talk dirty to strangers ;) ).

It seems so long ago, almost as though I was someone else.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
As a kid I watched b/w TV, it had its own antenna.

My first couple cars only had AM radios in them.

Our home stereo(phonic) had radio tubes that needed to be replaced occasionally. The stereo would get so warm that if you had a warped record you could lay it on top of it and it would flatten the album out.

I didn't have cable TV until I was 21. My parents didn't think we needed it and it came free with my dorm room when I transferred from community college to a state university. I've had it ever since. We had one black and white TV in the house until my mom bought a used color one from the hospital she worked at for $20. I remember when FOX started their network, it was great to have one more choice than NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS. The closest TV station to us was 80 miles away so we always had fuzzy TV with bunny ears.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »
cable? i remember my first color set
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:56:23 AM »
Does anyone remember TV test patterns when broadcasting ended at midnight?

Yup, 'cause I'm so old.

My parents actually "regressed" from a big wood-cabinet color TV(when I was four) to no TV to a 13" BW (with dials!), back to no TV again, to a 13" color w/ built-in VCR w/ remote control (when I went off to college), and finally to a medium-sized color TV w/ built-in VCR.  They've added a DVD player and HD converter-gizmo. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:30 AM »
My favorite wireless computer in the house:  =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
I'm only 34, grew up with a party line phone, up until I was about 7 you only had to dial the last 4 digits of a phone number withing the same exchange. My first computer was a Kaypro my dad gave me, CPM language and Space Invaders. I never had a game system, played on others Colecovision sets. And finally, I was the remote, including going outside in the snow to turn the antenna by hand.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »
I remember Bod Dylan's song playing on the radio saying "everyone must get stoned" and being shocked
he could get away with it, watching Star Trek, Batman and Secret Agent Man during prime time the first time they aired...& being madly in love with an older women...Penny Robinson.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 06:05:53 AM »
I remember TV and suchlike in the 70s...

Our first color set was one of the big wood grain monistrosities (and yep, I was the remote).

Remember when my brother picked up Pong, and EVERYONE was jealous. I wouldn't have another game system available until I had a job in high school, and bought myself an NES...

I remember when cable came to the Chicago suburbs: it was a box with a dial on the front, some models of which had a barrel-key (so parents could lock the thing on PBS or somesuch while leaving the kids home during the day)

I remember Tonka trucks, made out of sheet steel

Playing outside, and finding all SORTS of things to do out in the undeveloped fields near my house (this was in Lake Zurich, IL. 'Bout 20 miles outside of Chicago. Recently went back to visit, and those fields aren't even a memory)...

I remember having a rotary-dial phone, which was standard in EVERYONE'S home.

Had one of thse bakelite headset radios: big clunky thing, posered by a 9V, with tuning and volume knob on one side...

I also remember trick-or-treating on Halloween, regardless of what day of the week it was. And being out to 10 or 11 doing it...

Think I need some Geritol... :(
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »
My parents still have their rotary phone on the wall.  The ringer quit working a few years ago. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 08:02:42 AM »
Playing outside, and finding all SORTS of things to do out in the undeveloped fields near my house (this was in Lake Zurich, IL. 'Bout 20 miles outside of Chicago. Recently went back to visit, and those fields aren't even a memory)...

We would go through Lake Zurich to get to my mother-in-law's in Barrington.  We haven't been that way since she died in '95 or so, but even then you could see the difference from one visit to the next.  Depressing.  I hate suburbia.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
If you remember the Banana Man, THEN you are old. Whippersnappers!  :mad:

=D

Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 08:53:56 AM »
He goes way farther back than 69 but this is all I could find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et6Jt2YX44o
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
I remember the first time I thought about getting old.  Freshman year in college, picked up an issue of Playboy Magazine and opened to the 11x17 foldout page in the middle.  After admiring the hardware, glanced over to discern the lady's name, favorite food, turn offs, etc and noticed she was born in 1967.  

The playmate of the month was younger than me.  I was officially old.
7-11 was a part time job.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »
I remember Tonka trucks, made out of sheet steel

I still have my big yellow sheet steel tonka dump truck.  It is beat to all hell, and my kids play with it.  It has been outside for about 5 years straight now, being snowed and rained on and being kicked and tossed and rolled down steps. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
I remember when graphite fishing poles started coming out and how expensive they were.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
I remember the Korean war.  I remember when sterio made it's first appearance.  I still have and can use my slide rule.  My first scooter was a Sears Allstate.  I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot.  I watched Elvis on Ed Sullivan.  I remember all the nuke above ground testing and none of us died.....Springfield 1903 rifles were  sold at the army/navy surplus store for 15 bucks.  The National Guard out at the local air base flew P51s.....chris3

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »
I remember the Korean war.
I remember some of WWII.  I was 9 when it ended.  Rationing was for everybody.  Pick up the phone and get the operator and tell her what number you wanted.
TV, Coputers, portable radios, not on the market.  Power steering, power breaks, air conditioning in the home, not on the market yet.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 11:46:58 AM »
The playmate of the month was younger than me.  I was officially old.

For me it's been the opposite. Doing the same thing, and noticing that the woman is in her late 20s or even (!) 30s, and realizing that this is not a problem. Heck my wife is in her late 20s now. I'm so old.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
I remember working with a model who had been the Playboy Playmate of the Year the year prior and thinking...uh, never mind.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 05:19:11 PM »
Lee...

If you grew up in the Chicago area in the late 70s, one name for ya: Ray Rayner (sp?)

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »
My dad worked for Texas Instruments and helped design the "Speak And Spell" and the owl looking calculator that gave you math problems to solve.  I remember having to "play" with the toys until we broke them and then answering questions for dad until we hated the dang things.

After moving to Colorado, we had 4 TV stations and 2 were PBS.  One out of Broomfield and one from Denver.  The other 2 were ABC and NBC.  It was okay though because living out in the country, we were never in the house unless a blizzard came along.  I remember people that lived in town talking about a "Home Box Office" and I thought it was a special room they got to go in to watch movies. 

I didn't see a CD player until after I was in the USN.  Records and 8 tracks were all we had until I was a sophomore in HS (85), then we got a cassette  player.

Our TV was huge and had a record player  attached.  I think my dad still has it in his garage