Author Topic: I am SOOO old.  (Read 14044 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: I am SOOO old.
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
I remember "Where's the Beef?" and "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" from TV commercials . . . as well as the Marlboro Man.

I remember when the first UHF TV channels came to Chicago . . . the biggest attraction they had was Mexican bullfights.

I remember riding my bike to Walgreens with a bunch of vacuum tubes from our B&W console TV, so I could use the tube tester and find the bad one.

My first car had a good stereo from the factory - which included an 8-track tape player.

When growing up our phone was a rotary, with a party line.

I remember when Midway in Chicago was said to be "The World's Busiest Airport."

I remember watching when the "Canadian Express" train regularly went past my neighborhood with what turned out to be one of the last steam locomotives . . . and the disappointment when, one day, it came by with a diesel.

I remember the relief I felt in high school when the US left Vietnam.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
Records do sound better than CD's.

I have to agree.  Although I'm not sure as to the reason why.  Perhaps any of us old enough to remember and audiopilliphic to care have experienced considerable frequency-specific hearing loss?  Or perhaps the sensual overload of (your favorite music) through some Macitosh powered speakers in 1975 flavored our memory?

All things being equal, vinyl certainly has more texture, the sound more organic. 

(EDIT TO ADD)  A crispy soundboard recording beats 'em both.   =)

Enough of the platitudes, anyone got real data?

such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:08:14 PM by Two Cold Soakers »
7-11 was a part time job.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
Then this thread is a failure.  =)
It  WAS a gallant effort though.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
All things being equal, vinyl certainly has more texture, the sound more organic. 

Enough of the platitudes, anyone got real data?
You're skating around the edge of the explanation. I don't have data but I do have an explanation. Harmonics, which are the overtones that combine to make the recognizable sound of an instrument or voice, are infinite. Recordings done on magnetic tape and pressed into vinyl are capable of capturing that infiniteness(?) because they record on the molecular level. However when you take the sound and break it up into bits and then set a limit on how many bits you can use you are no longer capable of representing the infinite range of the harmonics. You are effectively clipping them

It is not noticeable to most folks but if you know what to listen for you can hear it. MOST prevelant in the cymbals IMHO. A live cymbal has a metallic ring to it. A digitally recorded cymbal sounds more like a hiss than a metallic ring. Because the recorder cannot capture every bit of information necessary to make that cymbal sound real. Now, if they get to the point where they can record digital info on the molecular level, and I have no doubt that someday they will, then it will become a non issue. I have heard that the newest digital stuff is much better but haven't come across any that I know of yet.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:18:29 PM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
I'll tell you one thing though, if you've ever spliced tape for a project, the first time you record digitally and watch them copy and paste things instead of cut and splice them, you'll never want to go back. It takes, for example, what used to be an hour long episode and turns it into 3 minutes worth of work. The other thing is the accuracy of clipping parts out. Digitally you have the sound wave right in front of you and can clip it anywhere you want. Tape? Better hope you cut in the exact right spot or you're screwed. lol...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »
Vinyl running through tubes and on out to a big pair of floor-standing 1970's vintage ESS/Heil AMT1s. 

Dunno why it sounds better, either, but it's definitely a kick in the pants after enduring harsh CDs running through Sony/Sansui/Pioneer/Kenwood/Nikko/Onkyo transistorized amps.  ???
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »
Recordings done on magnetic tape and pressed into vinyl are capable of capturing that infiniteness(?) because they record on the molecular level. However when you take the sound and break it up into bits and then set a limit on how many bits you can use you are no longer capable of representing the infinite range of the harmonics. You are effectively clipping them

I can understand that.  Thanks.

I've noticed the biggest difference in acoustic music - rock/country/bluegrass - and piano pieces.  This makes perfect sense with your definition of infinite harmonics.  The vibrations of wood and metal go on forever in "real life". 

Way to refire a dormant obsession  - a tube amp to power my vintage Polks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:22:56 PM by Two Cold Soakers »
7-11 was a part time job.

oldfart

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »
Thirty-two?  Cripes, I've got grandkids older than that!

I remember kerosene lamps.  I remember digging a well by hand and going to the outhouse for relief.  I started school in '39 in a one-room school that had 22 students in grades 1 through 8.  I remember the REA bringing electricity to us so we could cluster around the radio to listen to Bob Hope, Fibber McGee and a whole host of comediens who didn't have to rely on obscenity to make people laugh.

I remember carefully searching a map of the U.S. to try to find Pearl Harbor.  I didn't yet know about Hawaii.  I remember seeing a man hanging from a maple tree limb after a group of neighbors lynched him for sexually assaulting his own daughter.  The Sheriff, shorthanded after most of his deputies joined the military, wrote it off as a suicide.  I remember the old German farmer who lived up the road sending me to the general store on my bicycle for enough dynamite to blow some stumps.  He was the same guy who took a shovel down to the Church and dug his wife's grave.

I remember standing alongside the road with a rifle, waiting for the school bus.  When I got to school I just put it in my locker until shop class.  I remember ration stamps for gasoline, sugar, meat, shoes and tires.  I remember all these and a thousand other things we don't even read about any more.

I just wish I could remember where my keys are.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
I'd say oldfart is the oldest guy on the whole net:laugh:

=D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
I'd say oldfart is the oldest guy on the whole net:laugh:

=D

Yep.....when he was a boy, he had to use a hammer and chisel to post on APS....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »
Thirty-two?  Cripes, I've got grandkids older than that!

I don't have grandchildren, but I do have many nieces, nephews, great-nieces and nephews, and some great great-nieces and nephews.

My oldest niece is 52. Her oldest son is 32, and his daughter (my great great niece) is two.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
 I remember the REA bringing electricity to us so we could cluster around the radio to listen to Bob Hope, Fibber McGee and a whole host of comediens who didn't have to rely on obscenity to make people laugh.

Radio?  Is that like YouTube or something?  Pretty harsh filter on that web site, I guess.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 08:38:55 PM »
Radio?  Is that like YouTube or something?  Pretty harsh filter on that web site, I guess.   :lol:

Youtube, is that like the radio tubes we used to put in a radio, or maybe a UHF tube?  I used to watch U52 in the 70's to watch cartoons.  Old Little Rascals re-runs, Speed Racer more.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

280plus

• friend
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »
I miss the rascals. The Bowery Boys too. And the real Godzilla, not this new fake one they have now.  =|

erictank

• friends
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »
I miss the rascals. The Bowery Boys too. And the real Godzilla, not this new fake one they have now.  =|

They have a "new" Godzilla?  You're not referring to the (1998?) Matthew Broderick version, are you?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »
"Plunk yer magic twanger Froggy!   boyyyoyoyoying!!   Hiya kids, hiya, hiha...." =D

"I'm Buster Brown and I live in a shoe.  My dog's name is Tighe and he lives in here too." =D

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2009, 06:39:38 AM »
They have a "new" Godzilla?  You're not referring to the (1998?) Matthew Broderick version, are you?
Yea, that imposter...  :mad:

=D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »
I'm so old I remember 9mm 100 round packs of WWB for $8.99.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
  :O That IS old!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
I'm so old I remember...uh,...I remember...what was it?  Never mind.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2009, 02:51:35 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember thinking how dumb my friends looked wearing Earth Shoes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »
I was sitting on the deck the other night just trying to relax...something I find nearly impossible to do while awake.  I have a great backyard that faces about an acre of woods, but I could barely stand it. Then it occurred to me, that just sitting and just talking to family and friends was about the only non-working activity that my grandparents ever did...excluding gardening and such. I can remember visiting them during the summer in Kentucky and the highlight of my day would sometimes be seeing people drive by - because that was the the only people that I saw that day, other than my grandparents.  I would hear their vehicle from a mile away and couldn't wait to see who it was, and wonder where they were going.  I miss that.