Author Topic: Tire pressure  (Read 13831 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Tire pressure
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
heh, anybody think these would be a good upgrade from a subaru. summer car, >:D winter car. both from a 2001-2005, somehow it seems like they might be more fun to drive. >:D just have to get to a point i can part with a car that's pretty much been a part of me for ~11 years. :laugh: and is still running good. [popcorn]

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
Then what holds the car up?

The sidewalls hold the car up.

The tire pressure forces the carcass to maintain correct shape.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
The sidewalls hold the car up.

The tire pressure forces the carcass to maintain correct shape.

Kinda. 

The sidewalls and bead PULL the wheel upward.  Basically, the weight of the car pushes the rim downward, which pulls down on the top of the tire (think of the bead and sidewall as a rope pulling upward on the bottom of the rim).  The ground pushing up on the bottom of the tire results in the top of the tire trying to expand outward (due to the internal pressure), which is restrained by the sidewalls and bead pulling downward.  The tire is acting in tension which is distributed by the internal pressure. sidewalls have little compressive strength.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
And don't forget the nitrogen fills because it's like, you know, better than regular old air.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 10:22:28 PM »
And don't forget the nitrogen fills because it's like, you know, better than regular old air.

Brad
I have a theory about that; ya want to hear it?  (of course you do)  The nitrogen-filled tires hold their pressure longer because oxygen and argon are constantly leaking *in* thru the slightly-permeable rubber sidewalls faster than the nitrogen leaks out.  ;)
"It's good, though..."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
or it could just be the n2 not expanding as much and not spreading the rubber thin enough to fit through. :laugh: :angel:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »

If nitrogen is better, would filling your tire with neon or argon be more better?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
hydrogen for the win!!! >:D

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
hydrogen for the win!!! >:D

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "blowout"...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 12:25:26 AM »
I am thinking uranium hexafluoride gas, in case you need to stop and do some roadside fission.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 12:38:47 AM »
I am thinking uranium hexafluoride gas, in case you need to stop and do some roadside fission.
That's not a gas except at relatively high temperatures.  If you're going for density, how about radon or sulfur hexafluoride?
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »

What lure do you prefer, or are you a live bait man?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

birdman

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »
If nitrogen is better, would filling your tire with neon or argon be more better?....  =|

Not really.  There are several factors at work here.  The goal is to reduce pressure changes (constant volume assumed) with temperature changes AND to reduce leakage.

Nitrogen leaks just as easily as air, but it effectively eliminates any water vapor content--which is the largest contributor to pressure changes with a conventional air fill.  (leakage IN of air constituents is effectively zero due to the pressure difference).  While dry air could be used, it's difficult to dry the air sufficiently, and just more cost effective to use nitrogen.

Leakage is driven mainly by molecular size, and nitrogen (or oxygen) are larger than neon or argon, so noble gas fills are bad from that perspective (though SF6 would be great!)

In terms of pressure changes with temperature, since it's non-adiabatic, all the gases are similar, once you have eliminated any condensible parts (water vapor), so that's a wash.

So in terms of ideal gas fillers, we have nitrogen (advantage low cost and dry) and sf6 (higher cost, but very little leakage), so now it comes down to weight (ignoring cost for now).  A 235/50-17 tire has an internal volume of about 47 liters.  If pressurized to 30psi (gauge), the gas fill (relative to the air around it, so correcting for buoyancy) would weigh ~110g for nitrogen and close to 820g for sf6-- an unsprung weight increase of 1.5 pounds per tire!  For larger tires (285/35-19) the difference is even greater, ~120g vs 950gr...and for high sidewall formula tires, even more.

So there is your result, when cost is a factor, nitrogen gives the best performance as it's totally dry and leaks relatively slowly, and if cost is no option, still nitrogen, as it weighs less than the more leak-proof gasses.

The ideal fill would likely be methane, as its molecular size isn't much smaller than nitrogen, it's unreactive with rubber and metals, doesn't condense, and is lighter than nitrogen (saving 50+g of unsprung weight).  Of course, it's flammable, and the methane in a tire if it blew out and ignited would be the same as a pound or more of TNT...so that's probable not good.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »
Of course, it's flammable, and the methane in a tire if it blew out and ignited would be the same as a pound or more of TNT...so that's probable not good.

But it is at time hilarious  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
Don't forget to change from summer air to winter air before long. [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 12:04:04 PM »
You can always fill the tires with water for added traction.  (add antifreeze or calcium chloride in cold climates)  It's amazing how much a tiny farm tractor tire (6.70-15 full lug traction tire) can weigh when it's full of water.  Might not be a good idea with a tubeless tire...

"Grab that tire for me out of the back of the truck"  Hilarity ensues.

Leakage is driven mainly by molecular size

Don't forget about partial pressures.  That's why I said oxygen and argon would leak into a nitrogen-filled tire.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
Don't forget to change from summer air to winter air before long. [popcorn]

But where do I look for winter-grade nitrogen?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
FIFY.

I go a few PSI under the max pressure on the tire sidewall- this has never caused a problem.
I yelled at the quickielube monkey once who was letting the air out of my tires to bring them down to 33 PSI when the pressure was at 38 and the sidewalls said 41.

when running consistently over the vehicle recomended pressure, don't you find that the center of your tread wears out first?

it came to me one day while filling my high psi bike tires that the weight of the vehicle will be nearly exactly the total amount of tire tread on the road (in inches squared)  multiplied by psi of the tires.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
You can always fill the tires with water for added traction.  (add antifreeze or calcium chloride in cold climates)  It's amazing how much a tiny farm tractor tire (6.70-15 full lug traction tire) can weigh when it's full of water.  Might not be a good idea with a tubeless tire...

"Grab that tire for me out of the back of the truck"  Hilarity ensues.

Don't forget about partial pressures.  That's why I said oxygen and argon would leak into a nitrogen-filled tire.
how? the water doesn't compress, so you might gain a little on making the suspension work more, but the added weight will kill handling and ride quality. [tinfoil] i.e. the lighter the unsprung weight the faster the wheels can move to get back into contact with the road, better ride, better traction, better stopping, better takeoff. ;)

and geronimotwo, that's the point. the sticker is just for the supplied tires. as soon as you change tires the numbers could be anything. unless you buy tires the exact same size. [hard to do, each maker measures them differently] and with exactly the same load handling numbers [hard to do, each maker measures it differently] and exactly the same max pressure. then you add the weight of passengers, and any gear. [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
Not really.  There are several factors at work here.  The goal is to reduce pressure changes (constant volume assumed) with temperature changes AND to reduce leakage.

Nitrogen leaks just as easily as air, but it effectively eliminates any water vapor content--which is the largest contributor to pressure changes with a conventional air fill.  (leakage IN of air constituents is effectively zero due to the pressure difference).  While dry air could be used, it's difficult to dry the air sufficiently, and just more cost effective to use nitrogen.

Leakage is driven mainly by molecular size, and nitrogen (or oxygen) are larger than neon or argon, so noble gas fills are bad from that perspective (though SF6 would be great!)

In terms of pressure changes with temperature, since it's non-adiabatic, all the gases are similar, once you have eliminated any condensible parts (water vapor), so that's a wash.

So in terms of ideal gas fillers, we have nitrogen (advantage low cost and dry) and sf6 (higher cost, but very little leakage), so now it comes down to weight (ignoring cost for now).  A 235/50-17 tire has an internal volume of about 47 liters.  If pressurized to 30psi (gauge), the gas fill (relative to the air around it, so correcting for buoyancy) would weigh ~110g for nitrogen and close to 820g for sf6-- an unsprung weight increase of 1.5 pounds per tire!  For larger tires (285/35-19) the difference is even greater, ~120g vs 950gr...and for high sidewall formula tires, even more.

So there is your result, when cost is a factor, nitrogen gives the best performance as it's totally dry and leaks relatively slowly, and if cost is no option, still nitrogen, as it weighs less than the more leak-proof gasses.

The ideal fill would likely be methane, as its molecular size isn't much smaller than nitrogen, it's unreactive with rubber and metals, doesn't condense, and is lighter than nitrogen (saving 50+g of unsprung weight).  Of course, it's flammable, and the methane in a tire if it blew out and ignited would be the same as a pound or more of TNT...so that's probable not good.

Dude, lighten up a little.  Look up the phrase "tongue in cheek"...   ;)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »
how? the water doesn't compress, so you might gain a little on making the suspension work more, but the added weight will kill handling and ride quality. [tinfoil] i.e. the lighter the unsprung weight the faster the wheels can move to get back into contact with the road, better ride, better traction, better stopping, better takeoff. ;)

and geronimotwo, that's the point. the sticker is just for the supplied tires. as soon as you change tires the numbers could be anything. unless you buy tires the exact same size. [hard to do, each maker measures them differently] and with exactly the same load handling numbers [hard to do, each maker measures it differently] and exactly the same max pressure. then you add the weight of passengers, and any gear. [popcorn]

this is why it is good to monitor tread wear.  if you see the tread wearing on the inside the tires likely are overinflated.  the opposite can be said if the tread is wearing on the outside, assuming they're not mounted on the front of a ford pickup. ;)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:21 PM »
my chalk method(ok i just can't remember where i picked it up) will tell you before you've ruined a set of tires. ;)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
I read something authoritative a while back that said to go by the medallion.  But I forget the reason behind it.  I'm thinking it's because the rating on the tire represents the max that the tire should be inflated to under any condition, but the figure on the medallion is the inflation for the condition of that particular vehicle's weight and handling characteristics.

DD

The tires on my truck are listed as 44 max psi on the sidewalls IIRC. The door lists 35psi as the pressure they should be inflated to, and thus I keep them at 35psi.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
Dude, lighten up a little.  Look up the phrase "tongue in cheek"...   ;)

Brad

That was lightened up :).  You got me thinking, so I shared my thoughts, I was wondering myself why they use nitrogen even when cost is no option (e.g. F1)

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
Kinda. 

The sidewalls and bead PULL the wheel upward.  Basically, the weight of the car pushes the rim downward, which pulls down on the top of the tire (think of the bead and sidewall as a rope pulling upward on the bottom of the rim).  The ground pushing up on the bottom of the tire results in the top of the tire trying to expand outward (due to the internal pressure), which is restrained by the sidewalls and bead pulling downward.  The tire is acting in tension which is distributed by the internal pressure. sidewalls have little compressive strength.

You might want to double check your FBD on that one.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!