Author Topic: World Cup? What World Cup? Now the World Series...  (Read 13992 times)

Iain

• friend
World Cup? What World Cup? Now the World Series...
« on: June 09, 2006, 04:38:07 AM »
The single greatest sporting event in the world is about to get underway - who here is getting excited? Have we all got our USA 'soccer' shirts on? Or do we just not care?

Things are reaching a fever pitch over here with England due to play their first match tomorrow, but the tournament kicks off with Germany tonight.

In the past I've been pretty ambivalent towards football, hardly remember anything from 1990, 1994 and little from 1998. Saw 2002 final in a campsite in Biarritz having missed most of the matches. But this year is a whole different matter, and although I think England's chances are reasonable I'm also looking forward to a World Cup featuring Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Henry and others.

Much interest? The US team might do alright you know.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 04:46:19 AM »
Absolutely ZERO interest here.

I think I'd rather have mtnbkr's daughter kick me in the ghoolies repeatedly than watch soccer.

Aussie Rules Football, on the other hand?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:53:12 AM »
I enjoy soccer, but then I'm an expat myself.  I find it much more enjoyable that American football, which still (to me) seems like a license to fold, spindle and mutilate everybody except the chap who's got the ball! shocked
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 05:17:14 AM »
I'm a big fan of proper football.  I'll be watching at least a match a day since they come on before I go to work.  I'm especially looking forward to the US v Italy and Holland v Argentina.  Those should be pretty good.  I think the US got a really bad draw.  They are in the proverbial "Group of Death" and I think they are going to have a tough time getting to the next stage.  I think it will depend on them beating the Czechs because I don't see them beating Italy.  I'm hoping Rooney gets to play for England.  They have a good team and hopefully, they can play like one and maybe do something this time.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 06:09:26 AM »
" I find it much more enjoyable that American football, which still (to me) seems like a license to fold, spindle and mutilate everybody except the chap who's got the ball!"

Yep, a REAL sport. Not some sissy prance around the field kicking a white ball and you get a penalty if you use your hands sport... Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:16:54 AM »
Quote from: Iain
The single greatest sporting event in the world is about to get underway - who here is getting excited? Have we all got our USA 'soccer' shirts on? Or do we just not care?

Much interest? The US team might do alright you know.
If I catch 30 seconds of World Cup coverage this go 'round, it'll be 29 more seconds than I wanted.

[Dons flame suit for the forthcoming drunken, highly offended, "football" hooligan onslaught]

If soccer didn't exist, we would have to invent it.  The world outside the USA needs some sport to excel at and be able to point to America and say, "See, you aren't the best at something!  So go back home and eat a McMuffin, Yankee swine!" Given that, I am wholeheartedly against the USA doing well at this World Cup business.

Maybe I should amend the proceeding with, "I am wholeheartedly against the USA's mens' team doing well."  I hope (in a detatched, really don't care sort of way) that the USA gal's team does well.  After all, soccer is a women's sport and the team sport determined LEAST likely to cause an injury at my unit when I got my pay from Uncle Sam.

[OK, I'm just yankin' yer chains about most of what I wrote, with the exception of the "29 seconds more than I wanted"  and "team sport determined LEAST likely to cause an injury at my unit" parts. Wink ]

I hope all you soccer fans enjoy your "World Series of Soccer."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:41:52 AM »
Eh, even though I played the game as a youth I've not much interest in it.  Most team sports bore me to tears. Now if this were Speedball, Stick fighting or Sumo THEN I'd be interested.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 07:50:02 AM »
Never watch soccer, probably never will. Give me good 'ole American football anyday.

Now, on the other hand, I've got a friend who's probably the biggest soccer fanatic in my neck of the woods. I predict he'll be glued to the tee-leevison the entire time.
Andy

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »
Ah well, you stick to your sports that no-one else plays much and don't wonder for a second why that is...

I'm kidding too, except that baseball is the most boring version of rounders ever. We used to play a version with a tennis ball and a clenched fist that was a lot more fun, tell you hitting a rounder with your hand takes some doing. I do like American football though, but rugby still holds more interest and football more again.

If anyone cares the opening match was actually pretty good, Costa Rica put up something of a fight and exposed Germany's defensive frailties. 4-2 was the end result though, and two of those German goals were stunning.

Dannyboy - the US does have a tough group, one of only two groups that you can't say with any confidence who the two teams to go through will be. Italy should go through, but it's fairly open from there. I'm also looking forward to Netherlands/Argentina, that could be a great match.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:07:32 AM »
"If anyone cares the opening match was actually pretty good"

Opening match of what?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:10:10 AM »
Stop sabotaging my thread Irwin or I'll personally make sure that mtnbkr's daughter attends several years of 'Soccer Camp' and develops some serious shot power. Then you'll enjoy the ghoulie kicking even more.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 09:34:48 AM »
You're accusing me of throwing my shoes into your thread, yet you ASKED for it in your first message here...

"Or do we just not care?"

I'm assuming that's the collective we, instead of the Royal we, so ya did it to yourself!

Be a man and...

Oh, wait, you're a soccer fan. Never mind. Cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:40:45 AM »
Soccer? A sport for the Nancys that can't play a real sports like Hockey, LaCross or Rugby.

Okay I needed to be an Asshat once this week.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »
I'm with you Iain.  I'm ready for Ecuador vs. Poland and since my family came from Poland, I am rooting for them in this match.  I think the generation of Americans, like me, who grew up playing soccer, will be much more interested in World Cup matches (especially since the US has a chance of actually winning some matches this year).

I sometimes prefer to watch the matches on ESPN Deportes even though I don't speak any Spanish.  The announcers don't speak in such a boring and monotone voice.  Fuego, fuego, fuego...GOOOOAL!!!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
That first match was pretty good.  The first and last goals were awesome.  Especially the first.  A wobbly knuckleball that moved a couple directions.

Since Iain brought up rugby, I'll just add that it is a much better game than American football.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »
Mike don't make me start in on HOA's. I've no idea what I would say, but don't make me say it.

Cats - the US always has a decent chance, I've seen Brian McBride play quite a bit this year and whilst he's no Henry he is a good tough player who gets into decent positions. You wouldn't be playing Premiership football week in week out if you aren't a good player. Then there is Brad Friedel who I rate highly as a goalkeeper, and I also rate his bizarre US cum north-west England accent. Poland actually have a good chance of winning their group, depends what we see in a minute, but if they've got anything to speak of going forward then they'll stand a chance against a not so great German defense. Hang on, the FA told us not to mention the war...

Where's WildAlaska when I need him? He was going on about watching football (and feeling a bit dirty about it) a while back.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 10:08:17 AM »
Hoping that I am speaking too soon, the first goal will likely be a contender for goal of the tournament.

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 12:30:59 PM »
Nooooooooooo!!!

There's no escape -- even here!!

Sorry, but unless the sport has some life-or-death risk-taking involved (Rally driving, Muay Thai, etc.), watching it just bores me to tears. Which is fine. I don't have to watch football...

Only I do, because they've taken off every good TV program to make way for the fecking World Cup!! Gahh!! A pox on soccer and all football related things in general!!

Football-loving friend: "But everyone loves football!"

Me: "Really? So how many people do you know that watch it?"

Friend: "Loads!"

Me: "OK, now how many people do you know that don't care for it, or actively dislike it?"

Friend: "Ah... (quick mental tally)I see your point..."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 01:38:46 PM »
We have a soccer team? Cheesy

I played soccer as a kid, when I wasn't playing football, baseball, basketball, skateboarding, moto-xing, skiing, riding my bike or doing something else more fun.  It's alright.  I even played on some IM soccer teams in college.  Watching on TV is pretty boring.  They need to shorten the field, widen the goals, and allow body-checking.
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
Quote from: crt360
They need to shorten the field, widen the goals, and allow body-checking.
And you have now invented 'American Soccer', just like regular soccer but with less skill and higher scores for those with ADHD.

Tongue

Lo Co - there is no escape.

Poland lost. Which was a surprise.

Night all.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 02:32:38 PM »
There's plenty of interest here, but most of it's in the spanish speaking community.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
But Iain, it's not even 6.30 yet.  You Brits sure sack out early.  Wink

I'll spend as much time watching soccer as any other professional sport: zero.  But I don't hate soccer, though, because they don't cancel real, interesting radio programs for it.  Can you imagine they used to pre-empt Rush Limbaugh for Cardinals games?  The nerve!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »
Quote from: fistful
But Iain, it's not even 6.30 yet.  You Brits sure sack out early.  Wink

I'll spend as much time watching soccer as any other professional sport: zero.  But I don't hate soccer, though, because they don't cancel real, interesting radio programs for it.  Can you imagine they used to pre-empt Rush Limbaugh for Cardinals games?  The nerve!
Baseball is truly the most boring major league sport. It's only slightly more exciting than watching golf. Or fishing.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »
Now that I think about it, I just realized the allure of all three.

Excuses to leave work early and go drink somewhere.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 04:03:54 PM »
Soccer is about as exciting as Sumo wrestling.