Author Topic: Pietta to start making clones of the Colt Python  (Read 13966 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Pietta to start making clones of the Colt Python
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:17:23 AM »
Just found this elsewhere: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.strelectvi.cz%2Fforum%2Fpietta-p-1955-colt-python-replika-t33724.html&edit-text=&act=url
Might be a good thing for those who want a Python without paying Python prices. Or for those who have one and want a range beater. How's the quality of Pietta guns?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

De Selby

• friend
Re: Pietta to start making clones of the Colt Python
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:29:00 AM »
Scary.  Just scary.

Think Kia making a clone of an Aston Martin.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:39:11 AM »
Pietta reviews on the intertubez seem to be fine.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:57:08 AM »
Pietta reviews on the intertubez seem to be fine.

That's because of the improvement - I had one in the days when they were actually softer than originals
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
Ugly guns and now without the Colt cache.

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
I blame Rick Grimes.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:58 AM »
Eh.

I'd buy a revolver to shoot.  I'm not into the whole Colt revolver mystique. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
Scary.  Just scary.

Think Kia making a clone of an Aston Martin.

So actually reliable for a change.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
If the pistol still handles and functions well, it might be okay.  With revolvers, I don't know how much of that was in the design versus the gunsmiths putting it together.  I had always heard people comment that Pythons and Anacondas were some of the easiest and smoothest revolvers to shoot.  

For me, the "Colt" name might be nice, but I am not paying big money for it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:52:54 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:06:05 PM »
Perhaps this will spur Colt to do something useful for a change.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 12:08:03 PM »
Just found this elsewhere: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.strelectvi.cz%2Fforum%2Fpietta-p-1955-colt-python-replika-t33724.html&edit-text=&act=url
Might be a good thing for those who want a Python without paying Python prices. Or for those who have one and want a range beater. How's the quality of Pietta guns?

F.lliPietta (Pietta Brothers) make very good quality black powder guns, cap & ball and Colt Peacemaker types.  They used to be considered second rate to Aldo Uberti's reproduction, and Uberti was considered to be the best of the Italian BP clone makers known in America (there are a couple european makers said to make better ones but only distribute them in europe).
In recent years Pietta has altered some of their production techniques and the general quality of their guns has gone up.  They make a repro of the Le Mat (a 9 shot Confederate cap & ball gun) that is top notch.  
Current quality is very very close to Uberti.   Uberti has always made fine guns but has historically been lackluster in how they color caseharden their guns.  In this respect Pietta has always done a fine job.  I do note some of the more recent Ubertis have a better color casehardening job than older ones.

I would be very curious to see how their Colt Python turns out.  
I wouldn't worry about it being made out of too soft steel, the Italians do know how to make and use good steel for their modern weapons .... it has however not been something they used to think of first importance in the low-pressure world of blackpowder.  Armi San Marco, a now defunct company, made some horribly soft guns in their declining years, but they still worked even if their finishing looked like it was done by Guido the Gorilla.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
Well if Colt continues to be the dumbass that it is...

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »
Not that I would buy one, but I also think the quality might be quite good. I'm VERY happy with the quality of my 1851 BP revolvers made by Pietta.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
I too have a Pietta cap and ball replica.  It's a fine gun that works well, is fun, and was cheap.  I see no reason they couldn't produce a decent Python clone.

Not that I really have any interest in a Python, clone or not.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »
Not that I would buy one, but I also think the quality might be quite good. I'm VERY happy with the quality of my 1851 BP revolvers made by Pietta.

What's the likelihood of the Pietta Python being added to California's "safe handgun" list?  Unlike single-action revolvers, it's not exempt.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »
Uberti and Pieta have been making Colt single action and Remington 1875 clones for years along with the BP guns.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
I can't afford a real Python, or even a real Diamondback, so if the price on this clone is at all reasonable, I'll probably find a way to buy one. I have fired a Pietta black powder "Colt," and I thought the quality was right up there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »
What's the likelihood of the Pietta Python being added to California's "safe handgun" list?  Unlike single-action revolvers, it's not exempt.

Heh. What are the odds of winning the lottery?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »
With well-maintained modern machine tools, maybe a Python clone from Pietta won't take as much hand fitting as the ones that were made on the buggered up machinery they were using in Hartford.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 03:38:34 AM »
With well-maintained modern machine tools, maybe a Python clone from Pietta won't take as much hand fitting as the ones that were made on the buggered up machinery they were using in Hartford.

The fit and finish were the whole point of the Python (and the snake series generally) though - a repro that doesn't deliver that would just be a heavy revolver with a trigger that isn't as good as a smith.

I don't mind italian repro revolvers, but there's no objective measure on which they compare to a Colt or USFA for quality. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
The fit and finish were the whole point of the Python (and the snake series generally) though - a repro that doesn't deliver that would just be a heavy revolver with a trigger that isn't as good as a smith.

I don't mind italian repro revolvers, but there's no objective measure on which they compare to a Colt or USFA for quality. 

very true.  However, to the fan boys who would buy it simply because "it's just like the one Rick Grimes carries on The Walking Dead," that hand fitted action and hand-polished finish won't matter.  The general appearance will help them sell a lot of them...especially if they have a six inch version with a stainless/bright chrome finish.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
The Pietta seems to be a nicely finished gun (as well as can be determined from photos through glass) but it doesn't have a top rib on the barrel. Don't ALL Pythons have ribbed barrels?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »
The Pietta seems to be a nicely finished gun (as well as can be determined from photos through glass) but it doesn't have a top rib on the barrel. Don't ALL Pythons have ribbed barrels?

Granted, I don't have my reading glasses with me, but that photo...looks like a vented rib to my eyes, like a Python.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
Just found this photo...

http://m.armietiro.it/la-replica-fap-pietta-del-python-a-iwa-2015-armi-6367

It's a vent rib barrel.  Doesn't look bad at all.  Waiting for a range report from anyone...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »
Just found this photo...

http://m.armietiro.it/la-replica-fap-pietta-del-python-a-iwa-2015-armi-6367

It's a vent rib barrel.  Doesn't look bad at all.  Waiting for a range report from anyone...

"The Colt Python rises again with Pietta

If it has a´familiar air, don't worry, because it's a faithful replica of the mythical Colt Python, developed by the Pietta factory.  The model will be called the 1955 model P and will come with 2.5, 4, 6 and 8-inch barrels."

You're going to wait awhile, because it's not due out until September.