1 (1.6%)
Poster on another forum sent me
0 (0%)
Stumbled across a link here and stayed
1 (1.6%)
Other
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: So how did you come to join APS?  (Read 13987 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
So how did you come to join APS?
« on: September 09, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
The "ten year anniversary" thread got me thinking. We were founded as a diaspora from THR when their experiment in having an off topic section was adjudged disruptive and cast off into the wilderness on its own. Most people joined at that time, and then it slowed to a trickle. Now, afaik we don't get folks sent here from THR any more, so where are our new members coming from? How will we continue to sustain our population moving forward? All interesting stuff.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Pb

• friend
Re: So how did you come to join APS?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
Came over here after THR got stolen.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
I was dating mtnbkr at the time, so I followed him over here.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
The "ten year anniversary" thread got me thinking. We were founded as a diaspora from THR when their experiment in having an off topic section was adjudged disruptive and cast off into the wilderness on its own.

This is when I came over.

Most people joined at that time, and then it slowed to a trickle. Now, afaik we don't get folks sent here from THR any more, so where are our new members coming from? How will we continue to sustain our population moving forward? All interesting stuff.

Cloning. 

Or bride kidnapping (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_kidnapping).

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
Came over here after THR got stolen.

What he said.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
THR refugee.

As for new members I say let them find us.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »
Don't remember.

Just regret it a little more every day...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
I was wandering in the internet wilderness when I saw a faint glimmer of light off in the distance, I stumbled toward it, stopping to sample the fruits of other arenas which I found to be bitter. As I stumbled closer I saw the light intensify, I took that as a sign that there could possibly be intelligent life close by so I continued until I fell into the den of irreverence. Once here I felt as though I had found a suitable stopping place to rest before I continued my journey across the wilderness. I guess I forgot to leave. ;)

Or, I got pushed out by THR. The other version sounds better.   =|

bob

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
I was wandering in the internet wilderness when I saw a faint glimmer of light off in the distance, I stumbled toward it, stopping to sample the fruits of other arenas which I found to be bitter. As I stumbled closer I saw the light intensify, I took that as a sign that there could possibly be intelligent life close by so I continued until I fell into the den of irreverence. Once here I felt as though I had found a suitable stopping place to rest before I continued my journey across the wilderness. I guess I forgot to leave. ;)

Or, I got pushed out by THR. The other version sounds better.   =|

bob

Keep looking
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
I got bored on THR and noticed the link one day. Took me awhile before I really settled in, but once I did, this became my go to internet haunt.

By the time of the THR civil war, I was pretty much here more than there. I don't think I even knew about any of that until after the fact.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
I was randomly banned for a reason that I never found out. Oleg Volk sent me here when I was trying to find out why. I never looked back.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »
Followed the link on old THR, rapidly quit going there.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
THR... was way down in volume at THR by then. But I was there for the theft/civil-war of the site by Derek Z.

I don't even remember switching over to here, or what first made me join. It might have been early. Monkeyleg cluing me in.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Besides not being wanted anywhere else on the Internet, THR refugee.

Plus, as much as I like guns and like shooting guns, after years at 1911 forum, TFL, and THR, I just got tired of talking about guns all the time. Especially after those forums grew and attracted too many Internet Commandos.  If Roundtable had stayed at THR, I likely would have stayed there (or GRM) since I could have talked both guns and the eclectic stuff we talk about here. I now generally just go to those forums when I'm searching a specific question, though more often than not, I can get the answer here.

Interestingly, there is still a link to APS at Calguns. I wonder how many other gun related forums still have a link to us? I don't know that we've ever actually gotten a member via Calguns.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
Besides not being wanted anywhere else on the Internet, THR refugee.

Plus, as much as I like guns and like shooting guns, after years at 1911 forum, TFL, and THR, I just got tired of talking about guns all the time. Especially after those forums grew and attracted too many Internet Commandos.  If Roundtable had stayed at THR, I likely would have stayed there (or GRM) since I could have talked both guns and the eclectic stuff we talk about here. I now generally just go to those forums when I'm searching a specific question, though more often than not, I can get the answer here.

Interestingly, there is still a link to APS at Calguns. I wonder how many other gun related forums still have a link to us? I don't know that we've ever actually gotten a member via Calguns.

I don't think any gun forums that don't have an Off Topic / General Discussion type sub-forum are going to be able to continue strongly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
I got here when I noticed the link in the upper right corner of THR's home page.  Kinda liked the freewheelingness, frequented both forumses.

How will we continue to sustain our population moving forward? All interesting stuff.

Don't know a lot about  how this works, but I've noticed that our sister site, gunrightsmedia, has a little-used option for inserting tags which from what I gather, search engine bots look for when searching out relevant material.  I wonder if that's possible here, and if posters could insert those tags on this site, if it might increase "hits" by search engines...?

Thereby bringing new folks here...?

???

Terry?

???
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:46:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »
I'm another refugee from the old THR Roundtable.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
Yup. And like some others I've gotten to the point where I don't  need to discuss guns so much.

With all the boards and review places and Youtube I can find just about any information I need without having to start a thread. So this is a hangout with folks who are conservative to libertarian where I don't have to wade through a bunch of lefty crap.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
...So this is a hangout with folks who are conservative to libertarian where I don't have to wade through a bunch of lefty crap.

<terry whispers to self> Boy, he's got that right...
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
I got here when I noticed the link in the upper right corner of THR's home page.  Kinda liked the freewheelingness, frequented both forumses.

Don't know a lot about  how this works, but I've noticed that our sister site, gunrightmedia, has a little-used option for inserting tags which from what I gather,....

???

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/activity.php?

Right now I'm seeing one post today, and six yesterday.  Alas, all of GRM is a "little used option".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »
I really don't remember for sure.
I was fairly regular on the old THR and I think some villainous member from this wretched hive of depravity suggested I check it out. The rest as they say is history.

At the time I was pretty much a forum whore. If there was a forum that involved guns, Harleys, politics, hunting, antique tractors, or traditional archery I was probably a member. Now I'm down to 3 forums I frequent. Here, a photography forum and a sailboat forum.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »
http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/activity.php?

Right now I'm seeing one post today, and six yesterday.  Alas, all of GRM is a "little used option".

Harumph.  Back in the day, APS was the little-trafficked of the two.  Looks like the THR theivening killed GRM.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 05:59:17 PM »
Yup. And like some others I've gotten to the point where I don't  need to discuss guns so much.

Plus, as much as I like guns and like shooting guns, after years at 1911 forum, TFL, and THR, I just got tired of talking about guns all the time. Especially after those forums grew and attracted too many Internet Commandos.  If Roundtable had stayed at THR,

Burned out on too much stupid.

With all the boards and review places and Youtube I can find just about any information I need without having to start a thread. So this is a hangout with folks who are conservative to libertarian where I don't have to wade through a bunch of lefty crap.

Youtube at least can be pretty darn shallow.  Good stuff is buried in a landfill of drek.  Ex.:  for my latest purchase, I see tons and tons of unboxing videos, and "here's how to field strip your XDS", one good disassembly series.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
There were (maybe is?) some serious issues at GRM.  Folks were downright rude to people asking a simple question and it shows now because it is so dead.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »
Kicked out of THR for bitching about the lack of an off-topic forum.
And ya'll complain about the mods here.....  :rofl:  I've had some idiotic run ins with the mods there.  I was pretty much told to GTFO after an argument with a mod in PM.  And then banned.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”