1 (1.6%)
Poster on another forum sent me
0 (0%)
Stumbled across a link here and stayed
1 (1.6%)
Other
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: So how did you come to join APS?  (Read 13985 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: So how did you come to join APS?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
Any straight gun forum is tedious to me now.  You get all the same responses by a subset of posters with an agenda and they are militant about it.  For one guy a glock is the answer to every handgun question, or some well known poster hijacks every question related to a topic into AGAIN discussing their own specific situation.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
For one guy a glock is the answer to every handgun question, or some well known poster hijacks every question related to a topic into AGAIN discussing their own specific situation.

Yeah, I'm guilty of that, too.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »
IIRC, it was Skidmark's fault.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
IIRC, it was Skidmark's fistfuls fault.

Remember, once you get here there is only one scapegoat, darn newbies  :lol:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 08:39:44 PM »
I got a stern lecture for telling a funny that might have caused offense, if you wanted to be offended.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »
Kicked out of THR for bitching about the lack of an off-topic forum.
And ya'll complain about the mods here.....  :rofl:  I've had some idiotic run ins with the mods there.  I was pretty much told to GTFO after an argument with a mod in PM.  And then banned.

And somehow that gets you admin status here?

I followed the link from the other page. Stayed after I realized every thread was not a grock/1911 debate.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 12:38:18 AM »
I came over here on the initial refugee barge from THR roundtable.

Any straight gun forum is tedious to me now.  You get all the same responses by a subset of posters with an agenda and they are militant about it.

This. Guns are still an interest, but it's mostly a back-burnered hobby for now due to money and time. When I do have a need for some gun info, I either use the power of Greyskull Google or just ask here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 01:30:02 AM »
Any straight gun forum is tedious to me now.  You get all the same responses by a subset of posters with an agenda and they are militant about it.  For one guy a glock is the answer to every handgun question, or some well known poster hijacks every question related to a topic into AGAIN discussing their own specific situation.

And then you get things that are just so weird, you wouldn't have expected them. On APS, that's often a good thing. On other fora, you get crap like this:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=498980

The original thread title was "Milt Sparks going out of business." Skip to reply number 32, to see how that was taken as both a lie, and an insult to the Prophet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 01:36:34 AM »
I randomly tossed a Robert A. Heinlein quote into a search engine and it sent me here.  I've somehow never left. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 01:40:27 AM »
THR outcast.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 01:47:40 AM »
Any straight gun forum is tedious to me now.  You get all the same responses by a subset of posters with an agenda and they are militant about it.  For one guy a glock is the answer to every handgun question, or some well known poster hijacks every question related to a topic into AGAIN discussing their own specific situation.
Or the guy whose answer to everything was a shotgun. :rofl:
I've checked in on THR a few times in the last 10 years and saw nothing new ir useful there. When I have a legitimate gun question these days, I ask it here. The knowledge base here is lacking nothing.

Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
Or the guy whose answer to everything was a shotgun. :rofl:
I've checked in on THR a few times in the last 10 years and saw nothing new ir useful there. When I have a legitimate gun question these days, I ask it here. The knowledge base here is lacking nothing sanity.

FIFY
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »
it's been so long, I really don't remember how/why I ventured over here.   :O

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »
When I first got in to guns I found THR before the split and wondered over here as well.  After the split, I liked the discussions and stayed.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
I found THR years back looking for gun information.  Wandered over to the Roundtable and liked that it was a gun-friendly forum that attracted all types of people from across the spectrum.  When Roundtable was being shut down, I was one of the voices fighting for it to remain open.  When this opened as an alternate to the Roundtable, I came here, expecting to stay at THR and visit here occasionally.  Instead, I come here and visit THR...well, I can't remember the last time I went to THR.  Honestly, I find the firearm advice from you all better, and far less tacticool, and discussions about preparedness to be more about being prepared than about "prepping" for the end of days.  Other than a Scouting related forum, this has become my home on the WWW.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
THR Roundtable/Off-topic Refugee
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
I found THR years back looking for gun information.  Wandered over to the Roundtable and liked that it was a gun-friendly forum that attracted all types of people from across the spectrum.  When Roundtable was being shut down, I was one of the voices fighting for it to remain open.  When this opened as an alternate to the Roundtable, I came here, expecting to stay at THR and visit here occasionally.  Instead, I come here and visit THR...well, I can't remember the last time I went to THR.  Honestly, I find the firearm advice from you all better, and far less tacticool, and discussions about preparedness to be more about being prepared than about "prepping" for the end of days.  Other than a Scouting related forum, this has become my home on the WWW.

I actually got into THR shortly after the roundtable split and joined here to check things out and visited every now and then, while spending most time at THR.

When the late unpleasantness arose at THR, I migrated over here and can't recall the last time I logged into THR. I still sometimes end up reading something there when looking for a specific issue on firearms, but, given that I have 3 children under 5 (for one more month!), I haven't had all that many firearm questions in the past 5 years.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 02:18:56 PM »
I'm wondering how many of the mods transmigrated over to here and might still have mod powers.  I'm pretty sure, for example, that Arfin Greebly was modding here for a while... yes, no?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »
The "ten year anniversary" thread got me thinking. We were founded as a diaspora from THR when their experiment in having an off topic section was adjudged disruptive and cast off into the wilderness on its own. Most people joined at that time, and then it slowed to a trickle. Now, afaik we don't get folks sent here from THR any more, so where are our new members coming from? How will we continue to sustain our population moving forward? All interesting stuff.

Don't actually recall.  Somewhere in with the closing of THR's random chatter forum and THR's hostile takeover/late unpleasantness.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »
I was sent here by several unnamed covert branches of the federal government for which I am a spy. :police:   I take notes and then report back to my overlords there.  Please don't tell anyone, though, because I am a secret agent and no one knows I'm here. :angel: :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
I'm wondering how many of the mods transmigrated over to here and might still have mod powers.  I'm pretty sure, for example, that Arfin Greebly was modding here for a while... yes, no?

There are only 19 mods/admins and 1 global mod (Henry Bowman).

adively
APS Staff
Barbara
Ben
charby
cosine
Ex-MA Hole
Gewehr98
J.J.
jamisjockey
Larry Ashcraft
Monkeyleg
mtnbkr
Nick1911
Oleg Volk
P95Carry
Preacherman
RevDisk
scout26

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 02:39:58 PM »
I was sent here by several unnamed covert branches of the federal government for which I am a spy. :police:   I take notes and then report back to my overlords there.  Please don't tell anyone, though, because I am a secret agent and no one knows I'm here. :angel: :angel:

Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
There are only 19 mods/admins and 1 global mod (Henry Bowman).

adively
APS Staff
Barbara
Ben
charby
cosine
Ex-MA Hole
Gewehr98
J.J.
jamisjockey
Larry Ashcraft
Monkeyleg
mtnbkr
Nick1911
Oleg Volk
P95Carry
Preacherman
RevDisk
scout26

How many of them are active anymore?  I know Preacherman and Larry Ashcraft haven't been around in ages. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
How many of them are active anymore?  I know Preacherman and Larry Ashcraft haven't been around in ages. 

16 of the 19 have had activity since May 2015.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
I came over from THR immediately after Oleg announced the birth of APS.  I have visited THR only rarely since the theft.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame