Author Topic: Interesting comparison of septic systems  (Read 7272 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Interesting comparison of septic systems
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
there was a church converted into a house in catlett that had a room addition built over septic tank   what a disaster that was.

bootlegged a replacement septic system in the same area some years back. baffled her neighbor and the county pricks that were trying to condemn the old lady's house   was the most fun i ever had with a septic system
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
was the most fun i ever had with a septic system
I think that's more than I need to know, thanks.

My impression is that the whole area around Catlett, Cedar Run, and Nokesville lies pretty close to the surface water table, yes?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »
very close so much so that often there is trouble with water leaking into older tanks. says a guy who parged the inside of a septic tank to stop the ground water overload.  the one that was under the room addition

was another in snowhill that thenew construction up hill changed drainage so that water flow was reversed from drain field to tank. should not happen in a correctly done system
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
For us, it depends on the septic system. We've had a few problems from the large amount of water usuage...we can't easily reroute the tub, sink, dishwasher, and washing machine discharge for greywater...

We've had to have ours pumped out a few times over the past 20 years...and, we've expanded the leaching field for better drainage...since we did that, we haven't had any problems.

I've seen a couple of septic systems that have never needed to be pumped out...it just depends on the system, sometimes...

And, if you have never opened a septic tank up, pray that you never have to. It's a smell from hell.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »
For us, it depends on the septic system. We've had a few problems from the large amount of water usuage...we can't easily reroute the tub, sink, dishwasher, and washing machine discharge for greywater...

We've had to have ours pumped out a few times over the past 20 years...and, we've expanded the leaching field for better drainage...since we did that, we haven't had any problems.

I've seen a couple of septic systems that have never needed to be pumped out...it just depends on the system, sometimes...

And, if you have never opened a septic tank up, pray that you never have to. It's a smell from hell.

If your problem is caused by throwing too much water at the system, the solutiuon would be a larger tank, more so than additional leaching area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »
"I've never seen a sludge level even close to the outlet in a pumped system."

You need to hang around with a civil engineer who does septic work.

I saw some really nasty stuff over the years, including a complete failure of a 1,200 gallon tank system that had been badly abused.

The system revolted and backed up into the house. When we got to looking the leach field was so contaminated with sludge and raw sewage that the waste water was running on the surface. The smell on a hot summer day was absolutely horrific.

The grass over the area was an incredible verdant green and it was growing so fast that you could practically hear it stretching.

The tank had over 1,000 gallons of sludge in it, and it was so compacted on the bottom that it had to be shoveled out - the vac truck couldn't pull it up.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
I confess to having lived a sheltered life in that regard then.  I also admit to a visceral dislike of blackwater plumbing work.  I didn't mind doing the new installation of 3" and 4" drainpipes from the river house to the septic tank, but once the poop hits it, I'm outta there.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 05:19:34 AM »
Working on septic systems, once operational, is not only nasty but quite humbling. Anybody who thinks their s**t doesn't stink is quickly dissuaded. But it also is potentially dangerous. Beyond the obvious bacteriological potentials, like nasty bacteria getting into wounds, eyes, mouth, respiratory system, the biggest danger is asphyxiation in a confined space.  This is especially true of large commercial sysytems. Methane and other gases displace oxygen and anyone entering quickly succumbs. It is often the case that the second person presumes the first had a heart attack or something and climbs down in to help and also dies. And then the first emergency services rescuer, although confined space training is much better now. I remember 3 or 4 of these instances [nation-wide] during my twenty years in the field.

Best left to the professionals, for whom I acquired a lot of respect. They truly earn their money, IMO.

Septic tanks usually do not need to be replaced unless they are found to be leaking into groundwater. They are supposed to be water tight, nowadays. However the baffles within them do wear out. Baffles divert water flow downward to keep floaters from going straight across from ingress to egress and out into the field. Depending upon design, these may or may not be replaceable. If not the tank has to be replaced.

I do not believe that a field can be remediated by tilling. Typically the field is dug out and replaced by new media. With the price of the work compared to the price of sand, I don't think it's cost effective to try to re-use the old stuff. But I am speculating and have never seen any research on any thing like this.

Mike is right. A well maintained residential gravity system can last forever if they are properly maintained. Typically though, they will go 15 to 20 are not pumped and the field gets ruined.

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 05:40:51 AM »
was the most fun i ever had with a septic system
I think that's more than I need to know, thanks.

My impression is that the whole area around Catlett, Cedar Run, and Nokesville lies pretty close to the surface water table, yes?

TC

i think you woulda liked it too! old lady was nanny/house keeper for the folks who sold out to developer  as part of land deal she got to keep her house till she dies or chose to leave.  the rich folks in the mcmansions didn't like her lil house. one bottomfeeder got the county to come out after real bad rains when ground was soaked and got the pinhead inspector to condemn her drainfield. and pw county wouldn't give he a permit for new one.we rolled in on a saturday and did a real fast new system and sodded the lawn.  she passed the reinspection. she outlived the prick lawyer next door that started the trouble

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 06:26:54 AM »
Moderator Mal lives out behind Catlett.

I'm going to have to ask him what kind of system his house has. I've seen no evidence of an elevated sand mound when I've been out to his place in the past.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »
Firethorn,

My apologies, you said rotoTILLER, and for some reason I read it as rotoROOTER, as in rooting out the pipes.

No, I don't believe a rototiller will do much of anything at all.

At the very basic level, it would require removing the drain pipes from the field anyway. At that point, since you've got it 3/4 disassembled, why not just go ahead an replace the clogged filter material?

That way you have a fully functional (not partially functional) system.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »
At the very basic level, it would require removing the drain pipes from the field anyway. At that point, since you've got it 3/4 disassembled, why not just go ahead an replace the clogged filter material?

Ah, okay.  I had the feeling that you weren't quite understanding how drastic of an action I was proposing...

I was thinking that the clogging might not actually effect that much soil, and a thourough mixing would break up the clods and such, mix in good soil, restoring drainage.

Rather than having to ship in a good deal of dirt or sand, for example.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »
It may, but it's still a tremendous amount of work for the knowledge that no matter how well you mix it the system is not going to be operating at peak efficiency, and that means that additional problems are more likely.