Author Topic: British police arrest man for being too tall  (Read 7254 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: British police arrest man for being too tall
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
My God! I'm 6'-1" (186 cm) and I currently weigh 16 stone. And here in the U.S. I am considered to be about average in size, certainly not "tall" or "large" or (or so I thought) "intimidating."

The person in the story is probably actually 5'11" instead of American 5'11", which is actually around 5'6"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:06 AM »
The person in the story is probably actually 5'11" instead of American 5'11", which is actually around 5'6"

Huh?

You're going to have run that one by me again...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 02:30:56 PM »
I think I'd like that one run over me again, too...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »

Um, what? I missed something there.... =|
Hi.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
Perhaps he is implying that people in America are more likely to exaggerate their heights when listing/speaking of them?
I have no idea if that is the case at all, but I could see it being common in 'The Hollywood Business'.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
224 lbs is considered healthy for a guy of that height

huh?  I don't particularly buy into "healthy weights" people have different builds, but 224 lbs. is definetly on the heavy side for someone who is 6'1".  Reccomended weight for that height is 170 lbs.  225 lbs. would put you at "obese" by medical standards.  Of course if someone has a large amount of muscle and ~10 percent body fat 225 lbs. wouldn't neccessarily be unhealthy.

He's saying lots of americans say they are taller than they really are.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
What some women won't do to get a date............chris3