Author Topic: My faith in the TSA is shattered  (Read 7259 times)

zahc

• friend
My faith in the TSA is shattered
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
I always had the greatest respect for the TSA and highest opinion of their effectiveness, and now this.

http://www.wanderingaramean.com/2009/12/tsa-makes-another-stupid-move.html

"Once you’ve downloaded the PDF you’ll see the black boxes.  Simply highlight the text (start above and drag down to below the redaction area) so that you’re selecting all of the stuff in the “redacted” area.  Copy the selection and paste it into the word processing client of your choice."

They published a document online that had statements redacted for security reasons. They redacted them by pasting black squares over the text. PDF files don't care about black squares and the text underneath is still there and easily recovered. I wonder why they didn't think to just black out the lines with magic marker while they were still on the computer screen.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: My faith in the TSA is shattered
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:45:20 AM »
Now that is funny right there.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »
I always had the greatest respect for the TSA and highest opinion of their effectiveness, and now this.

:lol:

I'm working on a guide to decode all TSA approved locks and recreate master keys for all of them.  Most are so trivially simplistic, it will make you want to weep.  You'd think the TSA would promote having secure locks on luggage to prevent bombs or drugs being added without the knowledge of the owner.   Na!  Let's make them easy enough for a six year old to defeat without problems.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
Epic fail.

I love the guidelines on how to determine if a CIA/ATF/etc credential is valid.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
I smell a rat.  The "original" link is dead and the file referenced elsewhere has already been magically "fixed" for you to read. 

Something ain't kosher.  Why haven't they provided the original file so we can view it and see file properties for ourselves?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »

Please tell me you're kidding.  My sarcasm detector is faulty.

@Brad It could be.  This is something that happened MANY YEARS ago to someone, but I can't remember details.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
this is what happens when Martha, who had a 1 day seminar on pdf editing, is tasked with redacting data
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »
I was kidding.

I see that the article is now posted on slashdot.org; surely if there is a mirror, someone posted it by now.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »
I smell a rat.  The "original" link is dead and the file referenced elsewhere has already been magically "fixed" for you to read.  

Something ain't kosher.  Why haven't they provided the original file so we can view it and see file properties for ourselves?

Except this has happened many times previously.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:29:47 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
I wonder why they didn't think to just black out the lines with magic marker while they were still on the computer screen.

Maria Consuela took the marker pens home for her muchachos to play with.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
And, it's hit the major news networks:
[Source]
In a massive security breach, the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) inadvertently posted online its airport screening procedures manual, including some of the most closely guarded secrets regarding special rules for diplomats and CIA and law enforcement officers.

The most sensitive parts of the 93-page Standard Operation Procedures were apparently redacted in a way that computer savvy individuals easily overcame.

The document shows sample CIA, Congressional and law enforcement credentials which experts say would make it easy for terrorists to duplicate.

The improperly redacted areas indicate that only 20 percent of checked bags are to be hand searched for explosives and reveal in detail the limitations of x-ray screening machines.

"This is an appalling and astounding breach of security that terrorists could easily exploit," said Clark Kent Ervin, the former inspector general at the Department of Homeland Security. "The TSA should immediately convene an internal investigation and discipline those responsible."

"This shocking breach undercuts the public's confidence in the security procedures at our airports," said Senator Susan Collins, R-Me., ranking Republican member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. "On the day before the Senate Homeland Security Committee's hearing on terrorist travel, it is alarming to learn that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) inadvertently posted its own security manual on the Internet."

"This manual provides a road map to those who would do us harm," said Collins. "The detailed information could help terrorists evade airport security measures." Collins said she intended to ask the Department of Homeland Security how the breach happened, and "how it will remedy the damage that has already been done."

Security through obscurity, keeping your airport safe!  (Until someone publishes the security policy online, thereby "...help[ing] terrorists evade airport security measures", that is)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
"This shocking breach undercuts the public's confidence in the security procedures at our airports," said Senator Susan Collins, R-Me., ranking Republican member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Reality check, Senator Collins. The public has NO confidence in the security procedures at our airports, and had no confidence prior to this latest boner. Everyone knows the TSA is all about "security theater" rather than real security.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:02:19 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »
this is what happens when Martha, who had a 1 day seminar on pdf editing, is tasked with redacting data
Govt approved certifications without actual knowledge.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »
Umm... why are NSA agents authorized to carry weapons?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »
Umm... why are NSA agents authorized to carry weapons?

Primarily, carrier duties.  Certain material is preferably transported under armed guard.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Primarily, carrier duties.  Certain material is preferably transported under armed guard.
Ah. I was thinking the NSA was messing around in CIA territory.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 04:45:30 PM »

Or sometimes when somebody wants certain data to get out to the public.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »
The whole event smells.  Don't know why.  I just smell something.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
The whole event smells.  Don't know why.  I just smell something.

::sniff::  Oh, that?  It's incompetence.  You get used to it when you deal with TSA on a regular basis.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
I read about this early this morning...one Google search and I had a copy of it.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »
Ironically I don't see anything in the redacted stuff that would really mean all that much to someone trying to sneak through. The simplest solution to beating TSA security is still through employees. You can bet your bottom dollar there are any number of terrorist sympathizers already working inside airports and inside TSA.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

paul

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »
Howdy all...
Lurker needed to ask...
Any arrests under the codes listed in the warnings located at the bottom of every page of the document being discussed? ???
You know, the document that I haven't seen..? =D
p