Author Topic: Can I do this without a roof rack?  (Read 7263 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Can I do this without a roof rack?
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
I have a Thule Escape 2...it's one of those happy little soft cargo bags for your roof.

My new car, a 2010 Honda Fit Sport does not have a roof rack.

Yes, I can spend a couple of hundred and get one, I know...I use this bag once or twice a year.

If I have the screw in tow hooks, one in the front bumper, off to one side, and one in the rear, OPPOSITE side, could I do this:

Take a piece of lumber, like a 2x4, put eye hooks at either end, put the on the bag, one in the front and one in the rear in the "roof rack" slots on the bag, and then strap it to the car that way? The "straight" line tension would be a diagonal across the car, and the other straps to keep it from sliding off the sides?

What say ye?
One day at a time.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Can I do this without a roof rack?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
Given enough rope, you can do most anything.

We used to tie down a canoe on a camper shell without a roof rack.  ;)

You have to be careful not to scratch the roof, if that matters.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
You've never watched rednecks move. :laugh:

Just tie it down through the windows. Then you can climb in the window like one of them Nascars.

Sounds like your idea will work. As long as you can tie it down tight enough to those roof rack slots.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »
I took a 17ft canoe and all my worldly possessions including my 75 pound retriever across 4 midwestern states on top of a Volkswagon Beetle in 1980. Yup, you can haul your bag on a honda but the finish might suffer.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
one or more bathtub mats (with suction cups)under bag reduce scratching and bag slippage..... or so i hear
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
I took a 17ft canoe and all my worldly possessions including my 75 pound retriever across 4 midwestern states on top of a Volkswagon Beetle in 1980.
Did you have to tie Fido down for his rooftop ride?  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
You clearly underestimate the power that is duct tape

I took a 17ft canoe and all my worldly possessions including my 75 pound retriever across 4 midwestern states on top of a Volkswagon Beetle in 1980. Yup, you can haul your bag on a honda but the finish might suffer.
Most impressive
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:45:10 PM »
Yes, I can spend a couple of hundred and get one, I know...I use this bag once or twice a year.

How hard is it to get the headliner out intact?  Since the dealer's install method likely involves just running some sheet metal screws into the roof, I'd look into buying the rack myself, then mounting it properly with bolts through the roof and backer plates fabricated from 16 gauge or thicker sheets of mild steel.  The more surface area the backers have in contact with the roof, the better.  At the very least, use bolts and the biggest washers that will fit.  I can attest that a single 6" circular-saw-blade-and-fender-washer backer will handle roof mounting a 102" antenna right in the middle of the roof, in spite of low-hanging limbs and highway speeds.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »
Be very very aware of aerodynamic lift.

You have no idea how many mattresses on rooftops have been sacrificed to The Great God Bernoulli.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
In before someone posts a picture of that Home Depot car with the broken suspension and 1 ton of plywood tied to it.
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:28:54 AM »
 :laugh:

Did you wait a month on purpose?
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
he didn't need plywood then. [popcorn]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »
Be very very aware of aerodynamic lift.

You have no idea how many mattresses on rooftops have been sacrificed to The Great God Bernoulli.

What does frozen pasta have to do with flying matresses?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »
Bought the lumber, haven't tried it yet- no time and no need as of yet...
One day at a time.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
one or more bathtub mats (with suction cups)under bag reduce scratching and bag slippage..... or so i hear

Heh.

How hard is it to get the headliner out intact?  Since the dealer's install method likely involves just running some sheet metal screws into the roof, I'd look into buying the rack myself, then mounting it properly with bolts through the roof and backer plates fabricated from 16 gauge or thicker sheets of mild steel.  The more surface area the backers have in contact with the roof, the better.  At the very least, use bolts and the biggest washers that will fit.  I can attest that a single 6" circular-saw-blade-and-fender-washer backer will handle roof mounting a 102" antenna right in the middle of the roof, in spite of low-hanging limbs and highway speeds.

Stop reading my mind! 

I also think roof racks ought to be more than just decorative, which is what the sheet metal screws make it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 02:33:28 PM »
Don't they make ski racks and bike racks that clamp onto the door jambs?

Adapt that?  I'm pretty sure I had a BIC (yes, the cigarette lighter/pen maker) bike rack whould could be un-done in a jiffy.

EDIT:  I believe it was around $80  in the late 1980s.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:55:44 PM by 230RN »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sanglant

• friend
off topic, but funny mental image.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
hmm, on a suv there's a lot of unused space under the floor pan. wonder if you could build a short bed (skip?) that could be lowered and slid out the back for loading. the bottom of the truck being flat should save some fuel to. [popcorn]

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 06:34:59 AM »

Would've been handy to remember that last week when I hauled the $5 Huffy 10-speed on the roof rack.  Metal pedals and paint don't go together well.

Yes, it had to go on the roof because the back of the Blazer was already stuffed with two other $5 rusty-but-restorable bikes.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
Double post.  Dunno why.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Ex-Ma, does your Honda have a hitch?  If so, a simple slip-in accessory tray/carrier might be just the ticket.  Handy for other things, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
if i am remembering right, the hitch shelves are worthless with small cars. your lucky to have a hundred pounds of tongue weight to work with. i wanted one, till i did the math. just not worth messing with i think it was good for 20 pounds or so over the rack's own weight on my car. :facepalm: a small trailer on the other hand. [popcorn]

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
No hitch/ small trailer, but I may go that route eventually.

I'm looking for cheap and bought the parts for little money, just haven't tried it yet.
One day at a time.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 07:58:03 AM »
I sheet metall screwed am accessory rack from JCwhipme upon my olde suzuki sidekick.
You might be surprised at how little mechanical fastening there is on a roof rack
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"