Author Topic: Plans for a chicken coop?  (Read 7247 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Plans for a chicken coop?
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
I kept a kit of racing pigeons for a few years in a homemade loft in the garage.

Chickens?
Keep 'em in the kitchen.
7-11 was a part time job.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
vis a vis meat birds?  i just debone em and store the meat in freezer bags  less space less fuss you just need to gut em and chill em in an ice bath to firm up the meat
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the unhelpful smart assery. I know I can just google it and come up with a metric crap ton of sites of dubious value. I'm asking people who actually know what the hell those plans represent what is a good idea and what is not.

See OP for first question, 4-5 ideally with modularity for more. I'm not sure about the HOA. I was told when buying the place that there was not one, but then some random lady from down the street came to the door and said she was HOA president. But that there were no dues or obligations placed on the community. I dunno if she's a crazy lady with delusions of importance, or if there is some sort of stealth HOA I don't know about that doesn't actually seem to do anything.

If there was an HOA it would have come up in the deed search at closing. If you were sold a house with deed restrictions and they didn't reveal that at closing, you can sue the snot out of alot of people. Most likely there is some kind of loose community organization with absolutely no power, like a community watch, or she's a batshit crazy nosy wench.

I say build the coop.  Find some plans and do it. Skip the truck cap solution.  Building a nice coop will give you more experience and skills to expand on in the future.

Here's plans for a real nice one at instructables
http://www.instructables.com/id/Backyard-Chicken-Coop/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
A man should be able to design and build a chicken coop.  [/heinlein]

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »
Does the wife want chickens and the coop is a means to that end, or does she want a cute chicken coop in the yard and the chickens are a means to that end?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
Does the wife want chickens and the coop is a means to that end, or does she want a cute chicken coop in the yard and the chickens are a means to that end?

She wants fresh eggs. And possibly for me to stop talking about how awesome having chickens would be.  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.