Author Topic: Another mall shooting at a mall I've shopped at many times.  (Read 7246 times)

Lee

• friend
Another mall shooting at a mall I've shopped at many times.
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
Not a good area any more for sure, but still...I'm sick of this crap.  The Gangsta's basically ruined any downtown shopping in Columbus Ohio, then they started shooting each other in the outlying malls.  And now at my "vacation mall".   I also used to call on stores at this mall when I was in Sales. 
The words of an old racist former co-worker of mine, come to mind every once in awhile.  I won't repeat them in their entirety, but they had something to do with a 4th Reich, and a class/group of non-jewish people who'd become intolerable to live with.  It disgusted me then, and still does, but I wonder sometimes if it might come to that eventually.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/24/justice/florida-mall-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

dogmush

• friend
Re: Another mall shooting at a mall I've shopped at many times.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Violent gangs like this exist in our communities because we allow them to.  We pretend that only the police have a responsibility to enforce safe living conditions and turn a blind eye to predators and thugs living among us.  Much like governments, we get the neighborhoods we deserve.

I'm not going to go so far as to say we should leave the bodies of gangbangers hanging at the city gates for a warning, but tacit approval, either from fear of gangs or distrust of the justice system is allowing this kind of behavior.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
yes to both of you
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
I'm not going to go so far as to say we should leave the bodies of gangbangers hanging at the city gates for a warning

Yeah, there are no city gates anymore  ;)

Just read an article about "knockout kings" - bands of young people beating up a lone victim just for the hell of it.

Can't imagine why anyone would need to carry a gun ...   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »

Because you're a racist and want to shoot black people, silly. Why else?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »

Just read an article about "knockout kings" - bands of young people beating up a lone victim just for the hell of it.

Happily, I just found JHP's that seem to function nicely in my 1911.  Will be carrying her more often now.... :)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
The headline says an "assault rifle" was used in the shooting, but the body of the article says that men with "high-powered rifles" pulled up and started shooting.  I would like to know which style of weapon I should be cowering in fear of.

The article says over 100 casings were found, and that besides the guy being shot at there were hits on the wall.  The article also says that the mall was "crowded" at the time of the shooting.  But there is no report of innocent bystanders being injured.

Deductive reasoning and my Sherlock Holmes junior detective kit lead me to thus conclude either a) the shooters were careful to aim so that no innocent bystanders were injured, or b) that the only bystanders in the vicinity were guilty ones who may or may not have been injured.  I'm going to go out on a limb and pick option "b" this time.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »
The shooting was outside the mall.  I'm assuming the shots hit an external concrete/brick wall....probably away from the main entrance  The area is shaky enough that people don't typically "hang out" around the mall or parking lot - just dash in and out.  And unless the economy has changed things, security was always very present there, even on a slow summer day. ...usually to the point of being obnoxious.  It was Mall Ninja paradise from what I remember.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
http://www.news-press.com/article/20111223/CRIME/111223007/North-Fort-Myers-faces-drug-charges?odyssey=mod|mostview

Jeez ...another article from their local news.  I can imagine the math tests, " how many bullets do it take to keel people at the mall who don't pay fo they cocaine?"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »

Our city built a "visitor's center" on the highway east of town, just before the bypass turnoff.  There's a steady stream of Chicago traffic past there, on their way to their vacation villas.

That would be an excellent place.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
Lee, the link that you had was for Edison Mall in Florida.

Columbus, OH is Easton mall.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 12:09:50 AM »
I'm not going to go so far as to say we should leave the bodies of gangbangers hanging at the city gates for a warning

You might not go so far as to say that, but I will. Sounds like a most excellent idea to me.

In lieu of city gates and hanging, heads on pikes along the entrance roadways (and in front of city buildings, bus stops, etc) would do nicely. You could even do heads in an amusing order, like Burma Shave signs.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
You might not go so far as to say that, but I will. Sounds like a most excellent idea to me.

In lieu of city gates and hanging, heads on pikes along the entrance roadways (and in front of city buildings, bus stops, etc) would do nicely. You could even do heads in an amusing order, like Burma Shave signs.

I always liked that visual for a deterrent....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »

Wouldn't there be hygiene issues?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »

Not if you brush their teeth before you put the heads up.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
Lee, the link that you had was for Edison Mall in Florida.

Columbus, OH is Easton mall.

From my OP: The Gangsta's basically ruined any downtown shopping in Columbus Ohio, then they started shooting each other in the outlying malls.  And now at my "vacation mall". 

From Columbus to Ft. Meyers...and probably many points in between.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
From my OP: The Gangsta's basically ruined any downtown shopping in Columbus Ohio, then they started shooting each other in the outlying malls.  And now at my "vacation mall". 

From Columbus to Ft. Meyers...and probably many points in between.
Ah, sorry - 'tis true.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »

Like Mr. Heinlein had it (Time Enough For Love, "The tale of the twins who weren't"), after a month or so, or when the flies get too thick, replace the heads with a plastic model.  On a pike, outside the place of business they tried to rob.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 01:44:17 AM »
Like Mr. Heinlein had it (Time Enough For Love, "The tale of the twins who weren't"),

I must re-read that, it seems.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »

A hard, clear varnish would probably help with that....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.