Author Topic: Another school shooting for national media attention.  (Read 7264 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Another school shooting for national media attention.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
But.....that would damage their self-esteem.....

Dunno what area of the brain self-esteem hangs out in, but I'd be shooting for center-of-mass so self-esteem would remain intact.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
So, before we indict every public school administrator for this shooting, and the consequences of every bully in America, remember they aren't all gulity.

If not, it's another example of 99 percent giving the other 1 percent a bad name.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
More nuts and bolts, and pragmatic, it seems to me like the idea of the "school shooting" or other spree shootings at work etc. is a viral meme.

If we could somehow get a gentleman's agreement to not treat these as national news stories, I bet it would reduce the rate at which they happen.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
If not, it's another example of 99 percent giving the other 1 percent a bad name.

Maybe, and while I have known a few very good public school system "educators" I don't have much respect for them as a species.

IMO the problem lies with the system as a whole being broken. And as a result of the condition our public education system the quality and character of teachers drawn to public education has been on a steady decline for a couple of generations now.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:24:49 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:06 AM »
I would say about 50% of the ones that are in the classroom are trying to do the right thing.  Biggest problem is all the buracratic bullshit they have to put up with anymore.  Too much "teaching to the test" as opposed to actually teaching. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
Caught a press conerence of the prosecutor on the case.  He said there's no evidence of bullying.  He characterized the shooter as "someone who's not well."

I find it highly interesting that the prosecutor, David Joyce, asked for a gag order in the case.  He's an elected official, and basically he's asked to be ordered not to talk about the case in the press.  National spotlight shining in his direction and he's made the choice to step aside.  Refreshing that an elected official has made the choice to not stand on the graves of these children, so to speak, and call attention to himself.

Makes me wonder what political hack will do it instead...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Sounds more like he doesn't want the defense to gain sympathy through the media....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »
Sounds more like he doesn't want the defense to gain sympathy through the media....

Or he is of the same opinion as AJ, and thinks the attention such cases garners causes future problems.

Either way, he is a better man then so many of the attention whores in our courts.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
Kudos to him.

Excessive interest in pathological behavior is in of itself pathological...
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »

I agree. Let's see ...

He has already announced that he intends to try the kid as an adult. He has already announced that the kid is "not well." And NOW he wants a gag order -- which would mean that the defense would not be allowed to rebut the prejudicial statements already issued by the prosecution.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that a prosecutor of good intentions would look at a kid who is "not well" and seek the venue best suited to trying to make the kid well rather than rush to announce the intention of trying his as an adult.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
here is an article about a nightclub shooting in AZ.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-nightclub-shooting-leaves-13-wounded-114200223.html

i found it interesting that the author felt compelled to change the topic to school shootings halfway through. must get you better brownie points.  the endings to the stories struck me as being similar.  the horse still isn't moving.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:15:29 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2