Author Topic: Mercedes C class .vs. SmartCar  (Read 7276 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Mercedes C class .vs. SmartCar
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:32 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0

Launched the little go-kart 25 feet or so. Enough to end up in oncoming traffic. Inertia, mass, etc. I don't care if it were free and had a lifetime of fuel, I wouldn't drive one.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

brimic

• friends
Re: Mercedes C class .vs. SmartCar
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »
Is it wrong for me to giggle after seeing that crash?

I wish I knew someone who owned a smartcar- I'd send the link to them. >:D

That whole physics thing doesn't work in your favor when driving a fuel sipping car unless you compare older engineering to new engineering.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:13:15 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »
It doesn't even have good fuel economy. 36mpg_combined. bleh.
Honda CR-Z gets the same with more room.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:42:10 PM »
My 88 Honda Civic seated 4 and regularly got up to 49 mpg on the highway.  It didn't look quite so "happy" either.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »
I didn't like seeing the head of the politician was outside the envelope of the smart car airbag, pretty much in contact with the A post. Serious head trauma in 3,2,1...

Now if the would put in enough airbags and a beefier passenger compartment cage they could rely on the soccerball effect. Better to get punted, rather than run over by an F-350. Unless you're punted into oncoming.

Ah scratch that, stupid idea suited only for medieval streets. Or Hayabusa motors.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
I didn't like seeing the head of the politician was outside the envelope of the smart car airbag, pretty much in contact with the A post.

I don't think I could drive one unless my head was sticking out the window or leaning far into the passenger side.

Reminds me of something...
Mother in law used to have a Chrysler Sebring convertable. She let me take it for a drive once, I came back about 10 minutes later and told her "Nice car, but I don't ever want to drive it again." 
I couldn't crouch down low enough to see under the headliner comfortably, and had to raise the seat up so I could see over the windshield to drive it. :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »
Sebring convertible, #1 gay man car in America for awhile, at least until the Miata got popular.
AKA Navy Joe   

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:23:25 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0

Launched the little go-kart 25 feet or so. Enough to end up in oncoming traffic. Inertia, mass, etc. I don't care if it were free and had a lifetime of fuel, I wouldn't drive one.

After a crash like that, just how long a lifetime do you think you would have?  I think they are still looking for the crash-test dummy's legs.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:41:40 AM »
The obvious solution is to eliminate the evil gas guzzling behemoths Americans like to drive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »
Pry my evil gas guzzling monster from my cold, dead hands. =D

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:43 AM »
Funny though - My 2008 has 30 more ci, twice the horsepower (300 over 150), yet my monthly gasoline bill has been halved. Are the "new" engines actually that efficient? Still not giving up my old '88 straight six pickup though.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »
Every time I see someone park a "Smart" car, I expect about 12 clowns to climb out of it . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
Funny though - My 2008 has 30 more ci, twice the horsepower (300 over 150), yet my monthly gasoline bill has been halved. Are the "new" engines actually that efficient? Still not giving up my old '88 straight six pickup though.

You guys and your fancy new trucks...My M715 gets 4-5 MPG on a good day. I wonder what it would do to a smart car? :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:35:48 AM »
You guys and your fancy new trucks...My M715 gets 4-5 MPG on a good day. I wonder what it would do to a smart car? :rofl:
Probably something like this. (Not abolutely certain it's a smart car . . . but it would still look about the same after impact.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:40:14 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
Every time I see someone park a "Smart" car, I expect about 12 clowns to climb out of it . . .

Every time I see a smart car, I want to go over, grab it by the bottom edge, give a good yank and flip it over on it's top.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
Probably something like this. (Not abolutely certain it's a smart car . . . but it would still look about the same after impact.)
But don't you feel better about your air bags now?   =(
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
Every time I see a SmartCar, I remember the old CB slang for the air cooled Beetle:  pregnant roller skate...
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 11:51:33 AM »

Well, it is obviously not a Smart car despite the blogger labelling it as such. A VW, can't pin down the model since there are so many variations, Toureg, Tiguan, Passat SUV, something. And it's foreign. And most of the websites that come to tineye are foreign or re-posts for "funny pictures."
Smart car or not, I'm thinking no one lived.
AKA Navy Joe   

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
Lessee...

KE=1/2*mv2

Yup.  Kinetic energy is directly variable to mass.   

Hence those handy little rules of thumb about who has the right of way - YTT (Yield To Tonnage) or the lugnut rule (He with the most lugnuts, wins!).

5,000 lb SUV (presuming it's a TDI Touareg, which I think is the heaviest VW SUV) vs. 80,000 lb semi???? 

6,700 lb truck (mine) vs. 1,600 lb Smart ForTwo?

Yeah...  I'm gonna stick with my truck, thankyouverymuch.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
I didn't like seeing the head of the politician was outside the envelope of the smart car airbag, pretty much in contact with the A post. Serious head trauma in 3,2,1...

Now if the would put in enough airbags and a beefier passenger compartment cage they could rely on the soccerball effect. Better to get punted, rather than run over by an F-350. Unless you're punted into oncoming.

Ah scratch that, stupid idea suited only for medieval streets. Or Hayabusa motors.

perhaps the external airbags of the mars landers?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
I think I'm gonna stick to motorbikes.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
So where both cars going 40MPH?  The video said 64KPH, so converting (roughly) into MPH is 40.

I have always said to SWMBO that I hope they throw include the price of a coffin or 2 in the price of a SmartCar.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:49:20 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
So where both cars going 40MPH?  The video said 64KPH, so converting (roughly) into MPH is 40.

I have always said to SWMBO that I hope the throw include the price of a coffin or 2 in the price of a SmartCar.

Naah.  Just square off the car and contents, then bury it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
Like a midget bouncing off a sumo.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
Sebring convertible, #1 gay man car in America for awhile, at least until the Miata got popular.

You sir, leave the Miata alone.

It is the poor man's sportscar, and is quite capable in talented hands.
http://youtu.be/s19387t5QHY?t=2m17s

And also capable of awesome mods...
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!