Author Topic: Mercedes C class .vs. SmartCar  (Read 7277 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Mercedes C class .vs. SmartCar
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
Is that a Corvette engine in a Miata?!  :O
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
Well, it is obviously not a Smart car despite the blogger labelling it as such. A VW, can't pin down the model since there are so many variations, Toureg, Tiguan, Passat SUV, something. And it's foreign. And most of the websites that come to tineye are foreign or re-posts for "funny pictures."
Smart car or not, I'm thinking no one lived.

I'll bet no one was injured, much less killed. If anyone had been in that VW, it would have been peeled apart by a rescue team. That scene is a little too casual for a fatal accident to have occured.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »
I think I'm gonna stick to motorbikes.

Not a bad idea. You get roughly the same safety and cargo capacity AND get better gas mileage.  :rofl:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »
Is that a Corvette engine in a Miata?!

I've heard of people sticking turbo'd Hyabusa engines in Miatas, but I had no idea that a chevy small block could fit...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »
Looking at a SmartForTwo here as a fun commuter. 

Ain't much different than my Harley when it comes to kinetic energy impacts, so that derisive argument carries no water with me.

Rule #1, don't collide.

Rule #2, see Rule #1 above.

Rule #3, physics always wins, whether you're on the Harley vs. semi-truck, or Smart Car vs. semi-truck.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »
I've heard of people sticking turbo'd Hyabusa engines in Miatas, but I had no idea that a chevy small block could fit...
Where there is a will, there is a way.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
Not a bad idea. You get roughly the same safety and cargo capacity AND get better gas mileage.  :rofl:
Better safety, in some respects, I think. I had a little incident a couple of months ago where I am fairly certain I could not have avoided a collision if I was in any sort of a car.

Also, I look way cooler on a bike than in a Smart.  =D

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Ya know - back when I was kid there were these little cars called "Isettas"

They were DumbCars back then, too  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
You sir, leave the Miata alone.

It is the poor man's sportscar, and is quite capable in talented hands.
http://youtu.be/s19387t5QHY?t=2m17s

And also capable of awesome mods...

Whatthehell kinda engine is that?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »
Whatthehell kinda engine is that?

Seriously?

GM's LS3...
6.162L
436hp
~430lbs

Awesome engine. Probably THE best engine out there, for mass produced sporting engines. In terms of weight, power, packaging, and cost.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »
I've heard that you don't even need to mod the suspension, because the all-aluminum corvette engine isn't really heavier than the stock engine.

In other news, there is a company shoving an all-aluminum, dual-turbocharged V8 putting out like 1200HP into a Lotus chassis, which out-accelerates the Bugatti Veyeron to 200MPH--with rear-wheel drive, no traction control, and a regular 6-speed. I thought a chevy V8 was an odd choice but apparently the modern aluminum ones are pretty amazing in terms of power-to-weight. Apparently, there really is no replacement for displacement.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
I've heard that you don't even need to mod the suspension, because the all-aluminum corvette engine isn't really heavier than the stock engine.

In other news, there is a company shoving an all-aluminum, dual-turbocharged V8 putting out like 1200HP into a Lotus chassis, which out-accelerates the Bugatti Veyeron to 200MPH--with rear-wheel drive, no traction control, and a regular 6-speed. I thought a chevy V8 was an odd choice but apparently the modern aluminum ones are pretty amazing in terms of power-to-weight. Apparently, there really is no replacement for displacement.

Read about a guy who modded a skyline all to hell and gone. Was putting out over 1000hp when he was done. The one thing that really stuck out to me was the mention that they had to put slosh baffles in the oil pan to prevent loss of lubrication due to the car accelerating at 1.5 g's.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »
If you are stuffing this into that, easily the best car I have driven is a '68 Corvair with a heavily tweaked aluminum small block Buick engine where the back seat was.  The suspension was also heavily tweaked.  The result was very nimble, very fast, very thirsty, and a very great deal of fun.  I wonder what it might cost to do the same today...
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 05:07:58 AM »

Someone in the 90s put a Ford GT40-equipped 302 engine in a Miata; I don't see why a Chevy small block wouldn't fit. There's apparently a good bit of room in the engine compartment.

That pic of the LS3 engine in the Miata was... beautiful.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
Local guy took a Smart on TX130 - he said it barely got up to the 85 speed limit with the gas pedal firmly on the floor, and he managed an indicated 94 on a downgrade. Wonder what the Hyabusa-engined modded car would to. (I imagine it was a little twitchy even at 85.)

As far as mods are concerned, one of the quickest "custom" street cars I remember from my youth was a Chevy Vega which had a modified 454 dropped in. Guy told me he had to rebuild the entire frame to accept the new engine & drivetrain - I don't remember what he claimed he did (other than boring the engine out to 492) but I think most of the exterior sheet metal and the seats were almost all that was left of the original car.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
Local guy took a Smart on TX130 - he said it barely got up to the 85 speed limit with the gas pedal firmly on the floor, and he managed an indicated 94 on a downgrade. Wonder what the Hyabusa-engined modded car would to. (I imagine it was a little twitchy even at 85.)

My very mildly modified 72 VW Beetle would easily do 85.  I had it up to 100 briefly once (not recommended).  My 93 Toyota Paseo (1.5l 5sp) would cruise at 85mph all day long in the mountains and still get 40mpg on the highway (got 25-30 in town).  Both sets of figures were measured and consistent tankful to tankful (I kept records of that sort of thing back then).  It had a trunk and back seats (though the latter were a bit cramped for adults).  The Smart Car isn't exactly a step forward on any front.

People seem to forget there have been good cars in the past, that you don't have to buy a gimmick.

Chris

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
A friend back in high school ran autocross in a MG Midget with a Chevy 350. His Dad was an engineer on a tugboat and machined a lot of the parts himself. Sweet little car. It had white paint with fade-away stripes; sounded great, too.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »
That whole physics thing doesn't work in your favor when driving a fuel sipping car unless you compare older engineering to new engineering.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U&feature=related

What a waste of a nicely restored classic automobile.  I absolutely loathe people that do that sort of thing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.