Author Topic: Turn Off Your AC and Save the Earth!  (Read 7282 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Turn Off Your AC and Save the Earth!
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »
Another note: The UNBELIEVABLE HEATWAVE that killed all those people featured a RECORD HIGH in Auxerre, France (highest of the reported ones in the article) of 103°F.

Now, that's hot, but as we well know, multiple locations in the US have that as AVERAGE highs for the month of August. (AZ, Nevada, etc...)

To give an example of how Europe can afford to eschew air conditioning (the article mentions that France almost always has cool evenings) while the U.S. has a much more varied climate.

Go back and look at that overlay picture of the US on Europe.  That appears to map to the latitudes also.  Where I was stationed in Germany is the same latitude as Canada.   France is about where Montana, Idaho and Wyoming are.  The difference as to what makes Europe have both mild Winters and Summers is the Gulf Stream.  (Why Ireland is green and Britain foggy and rainy.)  It also impacted France and Germany as well.  There was no AC in Germany when I was there, because it only ever got into the high 80's or low 90's only a couple days per year, but the nights were substantially cooler.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Man, I didn't think it was that long since the European heatwave, and I did not remember those high death numbers.

Cooler, semi-arid nights make a big difference in places in the West that get hot during the day. One of the reasons I'm focussing on SW Idaho for retirement. Even if it's in the 90s during the day in August, it still usually drops to the high 50s at night.

I would have a hard time in some of the South, and I guess the DC area as well between the humidity and the nights not cooling as much. When I go to Hawaii, it's also humid without a lot of cooling at night (at least on the coast - the mountains can get darn right chilly), but Trade Winds make a world of difference. Stagnant, humid heat is my dreaded enemy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:34 PM »
Most of the Euros I know understand the US has some oppressive weather. 

However, I was amused a couple years ago when a coworker from out west, who happens to be an avid mountain biker, came to VA to work on site for a week.  He was mouthing off about the lack of real mountains and how the trails couldn't be all that hard.  The next day, humidity struck and he was floored at how thick the air was just walking from the hotel to the office.  His description was "it's like breathing soup".  I was like "yeah mfer, terrain isn't the only challenge here". Shame he didn't have his bike, I'd love to see him suck soup-air in 90deg temps while chasing acclimated bikers at some of the local trails.  What we lack in 1000ft climbs, we make up in roller-coaster singletrack that never lets you catch a break while mother nature turns the area into a sauna.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
I'd say Mid Atlantic, as that's where Mtnbkr lives.

The situation would be a lot different in New England or the midwest where temperatures can drop below zero for days on end.

That's what I was thinking. I also wonder if an un-conditioned home gets to 100F in most climates. I wouldn't be surprised, at least here. I know I've seen mine get at least into the mid-80s, but I don't remember what the outside temp was at the time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
"Most of the Euros I know understand the US has some oppressive weather."

In my experience, they "understand" it in a very abstract way.

Sort of like they "understand" how big Texas is.

They only really get it when they experience their first 95 degree F day with 65% relatively humidity, giving an oh so comfortable "feels like" temperature of 120 deg. F.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
That's what I was thinking. I also wonder if an un-conditioned home gets to 100F in most climates. I wouldn't be surprised, at least here. I know I've seen mine get at least into the mid-80s, but I don't remember what the outside temp was at the time.

I grew up in a big Victorian in Pennsylvania. The roof was silver, which reflected a lot of the heat, but during the height of summer it wasn't uncommon for the attic to be 100+ degrees with all of the windows open.

And not much cooler on the second floor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
The next day, humidity struck and he was floored at how thick the air was just walking from the hotel to the office.  

Never being there long enough to get used to the weather when on work travel, the walk from the metro to whatever work building I was going to had me looking like I was just in a rainstorm. The human body adapts to a lot of climate extremes, but mine doesn't adapt that fast.  :lol:

I don't think the house here has gotten above the high 80s, or maybe it has gotten to 90-91, but no higher without AC even on 110 plus days (that might be after 1+ day of not being here in that heat and not having set the AC to 85 or thereabouts before I left). On a ~100 degree day it will get to 85 or so inside, in the 90s it will get around 80-82. That's upstairs. Downstairs is considerably cooler. Even on 110 degree day, I don't think the downstairs has ever gotten above 80. When it's in the 90s, the downstairs is usually around 75-78. AC almost not needed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
F them. When I change out my 20 year old 2.5 ton unit in the next few years I should up it to 20 tons.
That way I can go from 72 to hard nipples in seconds.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
I am attempting to get through the year without lighting mine off. Looked at my power bills and it wasn't the winter with supplemental electric heat, but the summer that got me. Being in a mountain climate I ought to manage. With scarcity economics will reduce consumption. Translation, I is broke. Or, we could be smart, build nukes and freeze everyone. Better sleep, less bugs indoors, better health, better productivity, some of the many yields of controlling indoor climate.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:08 AM »
It's got to be above 90F and humid as hell before I turn mine on.   Only takes a couple of days to adapt to the heat...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:14 AM »
They can suck it.

My thermostat is set to 72 year round, and in Tampa, that means the A/C is turned off maybe 8 days a year.  Mrs. Mush is going to want a fire in the fireplace on those nights too, so are carbon stays consistent.

We do take advantage of 10' ceiling's throughout the house, ceiling fans, and big shade trees to help the A/C, but that thing stays on.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
It was 94 degrees out, yesterday, when a big tree limb fell down, and took my electric service with it. Too bad the folks from the Boston Globe weren't able to enjoy whatever my house felt like last night. I sure didn't stick around to experience it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:29 AM »
Back in 2010 I upped the insulation in my attic from about R 11 to R 49.

The change, both summer and winter, has been dramatic.

I keep the house around 72 during the day when I'm there, and turn the thermostat up to 80 when I leave for work.

Yesterday it was quite hot and very humid here in DC metro, and when I got home the house had only risen to 75 degrees.

The biggest reason why I use the AC now is not for cooling, but for taking the humidity load out of the air.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »
It was 94 degrees out, yesterday, when a big tree limb fell down, and took my electric service with it. Too bad the folks from the Boston Globe weren't able to enjoy whatever my house felt like last night. I sure didn't stick around to experience it.

So you went to Dogmush's house?  =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
Here in Western Washington, AC is still relatively uncommon, since we typically have perhaps three weeks per year of 80 degree plus temperatures.  http://www.seattletimes.com/business/seattle-renters-get-more-air-conditioning-as-landlords-launch-amenities-arms-race/  says that years ago, AC in the Seattle area was in the single digits, but it is becoming more common in new construction, both houses and apartments.  As both my wife and I are natives of the Seattle area, we complain and feel faint when it gets above 75 degrees, but I must admit that we are glad to have the heat pump on 'cool' when it gets hot. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 03:29:20 AM »
mtnbkr remarked:

The next day, humidity struck and he was floored at how thick the air was just walking from the hotel to the office.

I remember flying to Nawleans* and wondering why the plane windows were fogging up on the descent.

I remember getting off the plane and thinking that I could ball up the air in my hands like you would make a snowball**, and even mail it back to Colorado.

Terry

* For our foreign readers, "Nawleans" means "New Orleans, LouisianA, U.S.A."  Also known as NOLA. :D

** For our Nawleans readers, here's how you make a snowball:
https://youtu.be/KkvDCb5qoE0

:rofl:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:49:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:16 AM »
Back when I worked for Navy Federal Credit Union I was complaining about how freaking hot and humid it was one summer afternoon.

One of my coworkers, an older guy, smirked and told me about how the heat and humidity during his two tours in Vietnam as a Marine wasn't so much a presence, but a living thing.

And it was often an angry living thing.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »
Good news!  My AC is off.  It was 49 degrees this morning!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »
Good news!  My AC is off.  It was 49 degrees this morning!

You have saved the earth today.

But if you turn on your fossil fuel burning earth raper system, well then you're worse than Hitler.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
You have saved the earth today.

But if you turn on your fossil fuel burning earth raper system, well then you're worse than Hitler.

No, no -- Leonardo DeCaprio and Al Gore said that's okay to do (if you're important and/or popular enough).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
I've always said that when I retire and move back to Pennsylvania the first thing I do after I buy a house is install a coal stove.

Not because it's a fantastic source of heating.

But because it will piss off so many liberals.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
I've always said that when I retire and move back to Pennsylvania the first thing I do after I buy a house is install a coal stove.

Not because it's a fantastic source of heating.

But because it will piss off so many liberals.
I wonder if I can patent a stove that burns old tires . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
Back when I worked for Navy Federal Credit Union I was complaining about how freaking hot and humid it was one summer afternoon.

One of my coworkers, an older guy, smirked and told me about how the heat and humidity during his two tours in Vietnam as a Marine wasn't so much a presence, but a living thing.

And it was often an angry living thing.

It was 118 degrees and 98% RH* on the Persian Gulf today.  My crew of 16 and 4 Passengers went through 60 liters of water and two cases of Gatorade in training from 1300 to 1900, and I still had two end up getting an IV.

I've been to Southeast Asia. It's not that bad. At least there's usually some shade.  It's actually my all expense paid tours of the worlds shitholes that has made me so insistent that my home be kept comfortable.  I'd grind up and burn hippies to power my AC compressor in a zombie apocalypse before I'll sweat inside my own house.   =D

*"Oh the middle east!  That's a Dry Heat."  My ass!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
It's got to be above 90F and humid as hell before I turn mine on.   Only takes a couple of days to adapt to the heat...

Humidity and allergies is what will get me to turn mine on. Wife usually beats me to turning it on. She is getting better with the spring delay because our current house has way better cross ventilation than our previous 2 duplexes.

Love having an east facing backyard and west facing front yard.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
I'm not exactly certain that 118 air temp and 98% relative humidity is possible.... The hotter the air gets the less capable it is of carrying moisture...

If it were possible, it would give a relative heat index, or "feels like" temp in excess of 300 deg F if I'm calculating it correctly.