Author Topic: Much to my surprise, a new job  (Read 2877 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Much to my surprise, a new job
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »
"I got a good chuckle out of reading about a 60 year old RISK MANAGER who rides a motorcycle!"

WELLLLLLLL...

I normally wouldn't call one of these a "motorcycle...," but if it makes him feel like a young buck again...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
Congrats!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 04:28:44 PM »
Congrats, Millcreek.  It sounds like this will be a much better deal all around.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 07:11:15 PM »
Congratulations!

I've had quite a few agronomic managers ask me when I retire from the state of Iowa at 62 (16 more years) to look them up and they will offer me a job on the spot. Probably a seasonal agronomist or seasonal risk manager.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 07:42:58 PM »
"I got a good chuckle out of reading about a 60 year old RISK MANAGER who rides a motorcycle!"

WELLLLLLLL...

I normally wouldn't call one of these a "motorcycle...," but if it makes him feel like a young buck again...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OMG! It's an ATV!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »
Mine is a "Trike" and is classified as a motorcycle in my state and has flaming skulls on it, ThankYouVeryMuch!
(the little wheel on the front is an "anti-tipping" wheel)

CONGRATS on the new job! Pays to be in the right place at the right time and to know the right people!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 07:56:07 AM »
"the little wheel on the front is an "anti-tipping" wheel"

Training wheels. Gotcha.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
Congrats on the new job. Getting more $$$ and less hassle to get to the job is pretty nice.

I've been in my job for the last 14 years.  It's actually a really satisfying job, too.  I get out of bed when I feel like it between 7AM and 8:30AM.  My commute is about 15-20 feet.  I linger over my coffee for a couple hours.  Around 11:30 or so, I take my lunch break.  Then around 1:30 I take a nap for an hour or so.  No one complains to me at all about whether I'm accomplishing my task.  I do have some maintenance responsibilities at the office from time to time.  If it snows, I can shovel or snow blow...whichever happens to intrigue me at the moment.  After a walk of about a half mile for exercise I distribute the mail that I have picked up at the mailroom. When the weather is nicer, I get to ride a small tractor around the outside of my "office" once, maybe sometimes twice a week.  I am allowed cold beverages on the small tractor.

The pay is pretty good:  Around $5300.00 a month after taxes.  I get medical insurance and have a fully funded IRA.  I don't think I'm going to retire from my labors.  I love my job so much I'll just stay till I croak.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
Update on the old job: so they have not found someone to replace my skillset (which I warned them about).  They have turfed my responsibilities over to the general counsel while they continue to search.  Unfortunately, the general counsel does not know squat about healthcare risk management/patient safety, so she sends me about two emails a week asking my opinion.  Now these are questions that I can generally answer off the top of my head in less than five minutes, as opposed to her doing hours of research and probably coming up with an answer that is not grounded in the realities of healthcare.   

So I am wondering at what point do I continue to help out, vs. start charging them my consulting rate of $300/hour against a $ 1500 retainer.  This is a non-profit healthcare facility that runs on a shoestring at the best of times, and currently almost 50% of their employees are on furlough.  If this was the U of W, or Kaiser or someone like that, I would be charging them without blinking an eye. Maybe I should just chalk this up to relationship-building, in case the general counsel or others on the leadership team are in a position to help me some day, or I am piling up good points in Heaven.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
If it's just a couple times a week and doesn't appreciably impact your current duties, let it be. Chalk it up to goodwill and keeping positive relationships alive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 11:10:41 PM »
I might let them know I'm happy to keep helping at the current frequency and degree of difficulty.  But that if they ramp up on either side of that spectrum you'd ask for a formal consulting arrangement.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 11:56:55 PM »
So I am wondering at what point do I continue to help out, vs. start charging them my consulting rate of $300/hour against a $ 1500 retainer.  This is a non-profit healthcare facility that runs on a shoestring at the best of times, and currently almost 50% of their employees are on furlough.  If this was the U of W, or Kaiser or someone like that, I would be charging them without blinking an eye. Maybe I should just chalk this up to relationship-building, in case the general counsel or others on the leadership team are in a position to help me some day, or I am piling up good points in Heaven.

Do you incur any potential liability for doling out free advice?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
Do you incur any potential liability for doling out free advice?

No.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 02:11:27 AM »
I'm sixty now as well, I also have a newish job... lowest guy on the totem pole and its difficult/dirty/hard work with very little thinking or experience needed.
plus, I made more money in the eighties.

but, its a 15 minute drive.
I like everyone there, it has bennies and 401k , I hope to last a few yrs - i am quickly getting older tho
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2020, 06:37:20 AM »
If you are not incurring any potential liability, then I agree with what Brad said.  It's a case of not burning bridges behind you.  You may need those connections one day.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
Belated congratulations MillCreek!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.