Author Topic: Dodge Ram to go Diesel in 1500 Series  (Read 2188 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dodge Ram to go Diesel in 1500 Series
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Looks like Dodge is going to introduce a light duty diesel. Ford has been talking about doing this with the F150 for years, but haven't gotten around to it I guess. There was talk of a diesel F150 back when I bought my diesel F250. I would have been very interested in the F150 version, but am glad I didn't wait for it. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/14/ram-to-build-only-light-duty-diesel-pickup/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Dodge Ram to go Diesel in 1500 Series
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
Finally.

I predict it to be awesome,  provided they get their transmission from a 3rd party  >:D

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »
To bad it's a dodge  :lol:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
< Dodge owner, currently driving a 2005 Ram 1500.

Dodge is dead to me after taking gubmint money.  Doubly so after how they "paid" it off.

My next rig is either a Toyota or Ford.  (drools subconsciously over the Toyota FJ...)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
A certain Toyota FJ will be in my driveway this coming August, when wife's Jeep Liberty is finally paid off.  

I'm going balls-out finding the one I want, which will be the 6-speed manual with full-time 4WD and Torsen differentials.

My move to the country has convinced me that an open-differential 2WD S-10 just ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Before we bought her the 3.7L V6 Liberty, I had a serious jones for the CRD diesel version of the same vehicle.

I was told they were too loud re: cabin noise, but otherwise a hoot.

Why didn't Daimler/Chrysler keep that engine for at least the Dakota? 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
Speaking of which,  there exists a diesel version of the Liberty.   

IIRC, it's got Benz engine of some sort under the hood.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
Jake, that's the CRD diesel Liberty I was speaking about above.

Not a lot of horsepower, but plenty of torque, and a manual transmission, too!   =D

Only problem - folks aren't selling the ones they got, and the ones that do go up for sale around here command a premium.   =(

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:03 PM »
Makes hating dodge much harder....ggggrrrrrr
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
AZ and G98 - tell me why you're liking the FJ.

This isn't to knock it. Though my Trooper is still going strong and is the perfect 4WD for me, they don't make them in the US anymore. I am sort of keeping my eye out for what I would replace it with that I would consider close to its equal. I've mentioned the FJ around friends before and they've been practically unanimous in bashing it. While I don't like the limited visibility of the window design, I like the utilitarian body, and it looks like it would be good off-road, but I keep hearing it's a weak 4WD. If it was a capable off-road / crappy conditions vehicle, I would keep it in the running.

I like 4-Runners from 10-15 years ago, and it was neck and neck between a 2000 4-runner and my 2000 Trooper when I bought it, but I'm not super keen on the current crop. A friend has one and they just seem a bit too urban for me. He used to have a Trooper as well and says his new 4-runner is just not as off-road capable, though it has a lot of nice amenities for long road trips. A Land Cruiser would be ideal but the price is ridiculous. I could buy a new F-150 every five years for the next fifteen and have spent less than a new Land Cruiser.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
I'm also eyeballing the manual transmission full 4WD model.

I see a lot of them riding trails out here in AZ.  Seem much more popular than the zOMG expensive 4-door Jeep Wranglers.

Frankly, I dig the suicide doors. =D

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
I've been hankering for an FJ for about 6 years now.

I like the body-on-frame construction, the TRD offroad package, the 6-speed manual transmission, the Torsen differentials, the powerful V6, the oodles of interior room, and the Tonka appearance.

Having driven a few to get a better feel, I don't like the blind spot, the poor fuel mileage, and the need for premium gas.  

My other vehicle I've been driving at dealerships and putting in 2nd place is a nice used Trailblazer SS with AWD.  Again, the 6.0L Corvette motor makes it a total gas pig, but you don't get 0-60 in 5 seconds for nothing.  

My little 2001 S-10 is just not a good long-distance ride, and while I certainly could maintain it another 10 years, I really don't want to. I'd like to hit my 50 year mark in style, and stark economy has served its purpose already.

My wife's Jeep Liberty is pretty solid and really nice on crappy road snow days, but damned if I don't feel my 6-foot frame isn't shoved into the dash and top of the windshield in that thing.

Being a whopping 5' 2", it's no big deal to her.  I've driven it to Minneapolis and back, and I don't feel it's a fun highway vehicle, either.  

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Dodge will screw this up. A potentially awesome rig but I'm pretty sure they will find some way to frack it up.

If things go anywhere close to expected my plans are to buy a new truck mid to late summer. Right now Ford is the #1 probability, mostly because of the bailout BS.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Dodge will screw this up. A potentially awesome rig but I'm pretty sure they will find some way to frack it up.

I'm trying to figure out why it's so difficult for any of the major guys to come out with diesel in a light duty truck. They've all been talking about it for years, but none of them has ever produced (post the mini trucks of the I guess 70s-80s). It can't be EPA related because they keep coming out with new diesels in the 2500 and Super Duty trucks. I can't believe they're afraid they won't sell any, because I've never heard anything except for "awesome!" whenever light duty full-sized pickups and diesels are brought up among pickup people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »
I'm trying to figure out why it's so difficult for any of the major guys to come out with diesel in a light duty truck. They've all been talking about it for years, but none of them has ever produced (post the mini trucks of the I guess 70s-80s). It can't be EPA related because they keep coming out with new diesels in the 2500 and Super Duty trucks. I can't believe they're afraid they won't sell any, because I've never heard anything except for "awesome!" whenever light duty full-sized pickups and diesels are brought up among pickup people.

Yeah, I dunno why they can't just drop a little 4-banger diesel in a half-ton pickup ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »
Yeah, I dunno why they can't just drop a little 4-banger diesel in a half-ton pickup ???

Not sexy enough to sell to city-slickers.  And they don't know how to advertise it.
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »

my uncle had an 80' toyota with the diesel.  he loved it, and it had excellent mileage.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
What I've heard form people who've looked into it, is that they're afraid it would cannibalize their larger truck sales.

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »
What I've heard form people who've looked into it, is that they're afraid it would cannibalize their larger truck sales.

Chris

not sure why that is a problem, if they maintain the same profit margin.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »
not sure why that is a problem, if they maintain the same profit margin.
Presumably they aren't.  I know I would buy a Ford Ranger sized truck with a diesel, but not an F350.  So I wouldn't be part of that risk, but I suspect others would buy the smaller truck if it were available.  If the profit margin was smaller, that would be a risk to Ford.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
Not everyone needs to haul a six horse gooseneck up hills at 70 mph  :facepalm:

Although it seems that the mileage from some of these newer 1-tons are approaching what we get with our little bitty station wagon  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »

Except the 3/4 ton and bigger trucks are held to different emmissions standards.  Half ton and compact trucks fall under pass-car standards for particulates and NOx which are hard for diesels to meet without (very expensive and mileage robbing) exhaust after-treatment systems.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
Except the 3/4 ton and bigger trucks are held to different emmissions standards.  Half ton and compact trucks fall under pass-car standards for particulates and NOx which are hard for diesels to meet without (very expensive and mileage robbing) exhaust after-treatment systems.

Is that still true? I thought the 2007-08 (whenever it was) EPA rule changed that. The diesel particulate filter on my 2008 truck is definitely MPG robbing. Around 4-5MPG less than the previous model, and specifically for emission reduction.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »
HD trucks (e.g. Kenworths) have had major emmissions reductions over the last 20 years (IIRC 91% particulates, 96% NOx) and its quite possible 3/4 ton+ pickups have seen similar changes in emmissions regulations.  I don't recall, though, any change that brought them under the same rules as pass-cars.
Formerly sumpnz