Author Topic: Monitor recommendations.  (Read 2128 times)

Paddy

Monitor recommendations.
« on: October 06, 2005, 02:38:53 PM »
My 19" Viewmate monitor is in its death throes.  It keeps flashing different colors and dimming. Degauss doesn't help.  Anybody know of any deals for a replacement?  Anything to stay away from?  I'd like to have an LCD, but I'm unemployed right now, so CRT will have to do.

grampster

• friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »
Check with your local Public School.  They may have all sorts of good stuff they might be willing to give you or sell you cheap.  God knows how wasteful they are.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »
My 19" Gateway croaked a few weeks before I was going to get a new computer.

I checked at the office (I work for a large company) to see if they had any CRTs that were heading out to the junk heap. Flat panel are all the rage, don't you know.

Well, I got a Dell Trinitron 19" flat screen CRT for nothing, just the cost of fixing the hernia to haul it home.

It's now sitting, unused, as I have a new computer with a 17" Dell flat screen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »
Whatever you decide to do, I hope it won't involve a Sony.

Sony used to make truly superior big monitors. About four years ago, the quality fell through the floor. Customer service fell through the hole made by plummeting quality.

I'll never buy anything from that @#$%^&! company again.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 05:04:07 PM »
I'd expect to pay about $50-60 for a used 17" 75-90 for a used 19"  most places that sell them used I find offer a 10day return.. if it starts it will likely run for a good long time.  I certainly reccomend Hitachi *long story there*  But I run on a flatscreen AOC.  
You should be able to get a good new 17" flatpanel for around $200  check www.newegg.com" target="_blank">www.newegg.com
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

P95Carry

Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:36:44 PM »
Riley - I run dual NEC ''Accusync" 21" CRT deals - the older one is getting fussy re it's settings but - have had great service from them.  Older one is now near 5 years old and runs 24/7.

Cost tho may be prohibitive as IIRC they are still around the $400 region.

Just in case - run a search at somewhere like http://www.dealtime.com and see what's available - could well be a 19" is available at a good price.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »
Well I was buying some stuff for a client @ Tiger Direct and was making enough on the deal that I went ahead and bought a Scanport N7 17" LCD.  
Got here, gave a really psychedelic fade effect but never anything from any of the 3 PC's I hooked it up to.
Driver? Nope. Not that.

I called the supplier, they said "oh, yeah-- we've returned a bunch of those."
Great...
Don't buy a Scanport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

esheato

• friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 08:02:33 PM »
My ViewSonic died yesterday after five years of near continuous use.

I'm skating by on a 15" ViewSonic in the mean time.

I've been perusing www.newegg.com looking for deals, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

ViewSonic has been good to me, so I guess I'll do the same.

Ed

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 05:05:57 AM »
I've still got a few 10 year old CRT Viewsonics at the office running strong. Also have several Viewsonic LCDs at the office and one at home that I really like. That being said, I've been told to buy only Dell at work the last few years, and their current LCDs are really nice. I don't have any personal longevity data on them though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 07:55:29 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 10:24:24 AM »
Harold--
Holy TOLEDO, those are some great deals!

I may have found a new supplier-- kicks TigerDirect's derriere!

Thanks for the link,
Fig

Vodka7

• friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 11:11:41 AM »
I love my old business-class Sony trinitron, but it's pricey and you can get the same technology in other brands for much cheaper.

Newegg is one of the best places to buy electronics, but they only ship to the US.  TigerDirect is big for people who need the option of shipping internationally.

If you're set on a CRT, a *great* place to look is on Craigslist.  A lot of people have been upgrading to LCDs for years and don't know what to do with a gigantic CRT that costs as much to ship as they can get on eBay for it.  You might be able to find a great monitor locally on the cheap.  ($50-100, no shipping, no tax.)

Paddy

Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
HAH! Finally got a new 19" LCD monitor, $250 at Staples.  This one....
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y1172930Y1085802/103-3471361-2643814

That old POS Viewmate I got at Fry's flashed it's last purple/white/green flash at me.  It's sitting on the floor in the garage waiting for the next dump run.

NickySantoro

Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 09:29:19 AM »
I just picked up a 19" Dell on Ebay from a local seller for $30. Perfect condition, 15 minute ride. Look for auctions marked for  pick up only. Price is much lower because the potential buyer pool is small.

mfree

• friend
Monitor recommendations.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
I'm using an IBM P70... 17" trinitron that's probably 15 years old by now.

Just saying.