Author Topic: A letter I wrote to BrokenKid's school principal (long)  (Read 4264 times)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
A letter I wrote to BrokenKid's school principal (long)
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:38:47 AM »
This is a letter I sent to the principal of my daughter's school, regarding the new Chorus teacher's curriculum of only evangelical christian songs.  I think the letter more or less speaks for itself, but I'd appreciate comments if anyone has the time and patience to read it.

--
Dear Mrs. [Principal],

A few nights ago at the dinner table, my daughter expressed frustration to her mother and me about the program in one of her classes that is making her feel uncomfortable and marginalized because of her religious beliefs. She indicated to us that at least one other student in her class has expressed similar discomfort to her at what is going on in that class. As parents, we are of course concerned about the well-being and comfort level of our daughter, and as the ministers of a small congregation here in Manassas, we are also troubled by the fact that the issue is affecting other students who share similar philosophies with us and our daughter.

The class in question is Mr. [Teacher]'s chorus class, the [Name Of The Chorus Class]. My wife and I attended the concert that was held in December, and we were both impressed with the level of skill the [Name Of The Chorus Class] demonstrated. Mr. [Teacher] is obviously a talented teacher, and he is doing an excellent job in helping the students grow as performers.

The concern we have is that most or all of the arrangements Mr. [Teacher] is currently teaching the students are Christian pieces. We understand that his prior employment was as the choir director for a church, and so naturally the music he is most familiar with is Christian music. But [School] is not a church, and his students are not self-selected members of any particular faith, as his prior students were. As such, we object in principle to one single faith being the source of all of the music that is being chosen for the class. As a point of interest, one of the songs that the [Name Of The Chorus Class] are currently learning was specifically rejected last year by Mrs. [Previous], the chorus teacher at the time, for being inappropriately faith-specific. That song is called Witness, and includes lines discussing the necessity of baptism, and how ones soul must be a witness for the Lord.

Our congregation is not a Christian one, but I want to be absolutely clear that our objection is not to the inclusion of Christian music in the program; church choirs are a major historical form of choral music, and many of the pieces are masterful and give the students a unique perspective into this important type of music. It would be a terrible thing to exclude Christian choir music from any program that intends to be well-rounded. Our objection comes from the fact that most or all of the music the students are learning is Christian in nature, to the exclusion of other types of music. Surely in all of the many hundreds of years of music history, there are at least a half-dozen or so choral pieces, from a source outside the church, that are appropriate for teenagers.

We would be raising the same objection if our daughter's class were being taught only Muslim music, for instance, or only traditional Celtic songs, or, for that matter, only Broadway show-tunes. This is not about anti-Christian sentiment; it is about recognizing the diverse nature of choral music, as well as the diverse nature of the student body. In my visits to the school, I have seen the traditional dress of at least four cultural/religious groups, and I know for a fact that there are at least six or seven students at [School] who follow the religious and philosophical path we share with our daughter.

While six or seven may not seem like many in a school of twelve hundred, it is a fact that at least two students in Mr. [Teacher]'s class are feeling uncomfortable because they are required to sing only songs that give praise to a deity designated by a teacher, and they're being graded in part on the level of passion they put into those songs. That is an untenable situation for adolescents who are currently in the process of building self-identity: they have developed a belief structure that is not based around Christianity, and yet they must either praise the Christian God to the best of their abilities (thus contravening their own fragile philosophical self-identity), or remain true to their own beliefs (and suffer academically for it, because they aren't "giving their all" to the music). If there are two students that we are aware of who are feeling excluded by this music program, how many more are there who feel similarly, but have simply not made their concerns known?

Further, one of the songs that the students are learning is called Hush! Somebodys Callin My Name, which is part of the Boosey and Hawkes Sacred Choral collection. While its obvious and thorough Christian message is quite enough to make it questionable for use in the public schools, the fact that an asterisked footnote on the sheet music for this song states, *In the Negro dialect, the s is often dropped. (emphasis mine). When questioned about this use of the term Negro, Mr. [Teacher] told the inquiring student that Negro was the proper and correct term to use when referring to them. With all due respect to Mr. [Teacher]'s knowledge and experience, the term Negro has been out of common usage for decades, and has been considered demeaning and implicitly offensive for well over thirty years. I submit that were he to travel to an area with a large African-American population, and make use of the term Negro to any of them (as he put it), he would receive a brief but enlightening educational experience on the current acceptability of the term among the very people it purports to describe.

To clarify one last time, neither we nor our daughter have any issue with Christian music being included in the program. In fact, she has said in the past that she particularly enjoys the gospel-type music often sung in African-American churches. We would be remiss in our duty as ministers and parents if we suggested that the school exclude such a major part of the musical landscape from the music program. But we feel that it is a reasonable request that not all of the music in the program be Christian in nature, that songs that are Christian at least be ones that do not amount to evangelical proselytizing, and that Mr. [Teacher] be advised about the use of terms long considered racist and inappropriate.

It is from diverse knowledge and experience that we gain wisdom and strength. We would like to see that principle applied to the music program at [School] as it is in other areas of the school.

We look forward to your comments on this matter. We would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss this further, if that would be helpful to you. If you need to reach us, you may call or e-mail us at your convenience. Thank you for your time.

Namaste,
-[BrokenPaw and BrokenMa], Shadowgrove Spiritual Ministries
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:11:58 AM »
As a Christian, and someone frustrated by the seeming overabundance of PC in the society as a whole (and public institutions in particular), I find your letter entirely balanced and reasonable. You don't name the class, but I infer that the title doesn't specify a Christian choral influence. Therefore, as you observe, the absence of other material is a disservice to all the students regardless of faith.

I should also say I find your failure to froth at the mouth and threaten legal action disquieting, as it seems the standard media-presented reaction by parents in virtually all such cases. Way to set a trend...

Well done.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:22:03 AM »
SAD,

Thank you.  To clarify, no, the class is called the "[NameOfSchool] Singers".  Last year, they called it the Advanced Chorus, but that apparently was crushing to the self-esteem of the non-advanced.  Or something.

Last year's program had some traditional Christian pieces, and some show-tunes, and some folk-traditional pieces.  It was a much more balanced program, and none of us had any objection to it.  But at the end of last year, the entire choral staff left the school en masse, so this year's program was created in its entirety by the replacements.  I have a feeling that if the staff turnover had been more gradual, the program might not be so heterogenous.

If you like, I can attempt to froth at the mouth some here in this thread, in order to restore balance to the universe...  Smiley

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:26:08 AM »
Excellent letter BrokenPaw.

In a situation like this, a tactful and well-reasoned explanation of why there is a problem and what you would like to see changed will hopefully keep the administration from going on the defensive and refusing to address the situation.  You'll have to keep us updated as to what happens.

- SalukiFan

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 08:31:47 AM »
Quote from: SalukiFan
Excellent letter BrokenPaw.

In a situation like this, a tactful and well-reasoned explanation of why there is a problem and what you would like to see changed will hopefully keep the administration from going on the defensive and refusing to address the situation.  You'll have to keep us updated as to what happens.

- SalukiFan
I agree whole-heartedly with SalukiFan.  Great letter, explained and didnt complain.  If that doesnt get a good response I don't know what would.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 08:40:52 AM »
Great letter.  I would be interested in the outcome myself.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:43:04 AM »
Saluki and Rabbi,

Thank you for your comments as well.  I was trying very hard not to come across as the stereotypical foaming-at-the-mouth type that SADShooter mentioned.  I only sent the thing yesterday, so it'll likely be a little while before the school gets back to me.  I'll definitely update the thread when they do.

I rather expect that they'll pooh-pooh the religious aspect of my concerns by mentioning that not every song in the program is Christian.  But I also expect that the teacher will find himself re-evaluating his thoughts on the term "Negro".  

Schools often won't touch a religious matter, because all too often they're caught in the middle; if they acquiesce to my requests, then all it takes is one person to claim that the school is "once again trying to remove Christianity while exposing kids to every other faith in the world" and the school is in the middle of a political nightmare.

But the race thing they'll be all over like white on rice (so to speak).

That's my guess.  Hopefully I'm just being overly cynical.

-BP

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 09:11:34 AM »
Hmmm. My monitor is still dry. :smile:

Speaking based on a ten-year career in public service, healthy cynicism when dealing with public institutions is entirely appropriate.

Seriously, I hope your tempered approach gets a reasoned response. I have my own views, and hold them dear. One is a firm belief that quality civil discourse is the air an open society breathes. Thanks for the nice breeze. Froth at will.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
Very well said.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 09:51:15 AM »
Nice letter, even and unbiased. Since I have grandkids that live in the Manassas area and are about the same age as your daughter is the school in question a city school or in Prince William County?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 09:54:19 AM »
BrokenPaw,
As a non Christian myself, I find your letter to be an excellent example for others in similar situations. IT lacks any of the typical "foaming at the mouth" response others have mentioned. I would very much be interested in the outcome of this situation, if you would be so kind as to keep us updated.
I often feel as though people of non Christian beliefs go out of their way to feel excluded and persecuted, and it pains me to speak with some of them as a result. Over the last decade, I've found it is most often the Christians who are most tolerant and accepting of religious differences, rather than many "pagans", or other faiths.
We may be treading different paths, but we are all trying to find "god". Well, perhaps not the atheists.Tongue
I see no reason to look down upon another for their beliefs, or object to any visible presence of religion in public places.
Ok, end of thread drift. BrokenPaw, your letter is very well written, and obviously a great deal of forethought was involved in it's creation. I see nothing the teacher should take offense at, and hope a favorable solution is reached for all involved.
Hi.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 11:25:42 AM »
Since I have grandkids that live in the Manassas area and are about the same age as your daughter is the school in question a city school or in Prince William County?
WROlson,  it's a Prince William County school.  Drop me a line if you would like more details.  I'm deliberately obscuring things on the open forum for several reasons, which you can probably guess.

Fjolnirsson, thank you for the kind words.  I have known a great many intolerant Christians, and quite a few very tolerant, open-minded ones.  Likewise, I've known many tolerant, open-minded pagans, as well as several hidebound, my-way-or-the-highway ones.  The person who would be a closed-minded Christian is the same sort as the person who would be a closed-minded pagan; obduracy knows no delineation of path.

I have some of both kinds in my congregation (the sort who believe that intent is the important part of a ceremony, as well as the sort who get Very Upset if the candles are precisely the wrong shade of purple).  It's part of my job to be the mediating influence.  They say that the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else; being a minister has taught me at least as much about keeping an even temperament as I've ever taught anyone else...probably more.  The first revision of the letter was rather more in-your-face, because I wrote it on the first night that BrokenKid told us about the situation.  It took a week of BrokenMa's help and about three revisions to get all of the froth and vitriol off.

I will most definitely keep people updated on the outcome of the situation.

Namaste,
-BP

Preacherman

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »
I have no problem at all with your letter - and as a Christian pastor, I agree with you that this sort of religious heavy-handedness is a bad thing in general and in particular.  I'm always happy to receive converts into the Church, but they come (or should come) out of their own convictions, rather than being beaten heavily over the head with a Bible or Catechism.

You could always make copies of the music and lyrics to Jethro Tull's "Beltane" and submit them to the choirmaster as a tongue-in-cheek alternative to a Christmas carol... Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »
Paw,

Well said, well done.  You and I've spoken about this manner of thing in the past, and I find I learn from you each time we talk.  I'm glad to know my own frothing/redneck tendencies were not entirely foreign to you, until SWMBO helped balance you out.

Good on ya, Maw and Kid.
Shalom, Namaste, Gassho-- Blessings!

Fig

Norton

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 04:46:04 PM »
As a music teacher, this very subject is one that I must constantly wrestle with....the idea of balance between giving students the opportunity to perform great works of music which may be religious in nature and being sure to not cross the line between making art and prostelytizing.

I find that the majority of us err (in my opinion) too far the other direction in that we purposely exclude music of a religious nature solely for the reason that we think someone will be offended.  A huge disservice to the kids that they may never perform much of the greatest literature ever composed....particularly true with regards to choral music.

I've been fortunate in that I've never been questioned about my musical selections (I'll take that as a sign that I've struck that somewhat vague notion of balance).

I think that your letter is one of the fairest and most objective letters that I've seen to a school from a parent in a long time.  As a teacher or a principal, I would be sure to follow up with you with assurances that our school would be more careful to look at our programming in the future so as to not cross that ill-defined balance point.

Thumbs up to you for a sane and well-composed letter.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 07:58:29 PM »
Well said!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 04:40:24 AM »
Minor update:

I received word back from the principal:

Dear [BrokenPaw] and [BrokenMa],
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information with me.  I assure you that we will look into this issue.  I will be discussing this with Mr. [Vice], Assistant Principal and supervisor of the Music Department at [School].  He will be working with you on this matter.  Thank you again and please keep in touch.
Mrs. [Principal]
So we'll see how things go when the designated assistant principal gets back to us.

-BP

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 05:34:03 AM »
Bit of an update...I hadn't heard anything from the school for over a week, so I sent the principal an e-mail:
[Principal],

I'm writing to follow up with you regarding the concern I expressed to you on the 23rd of January.  It's been a week since you responded to me, and I have not yet heard anything from Mr. [VicePrincipal].  I wanted to make sure that I had not lost an e-mail from him in my daily inbox shuffle.

Thank you for your time,
-BrokenPaw
It must have lit a fire under someone, because I got an immediate apology for the delay from the principal, and then the following response from the Vice Principal in charge of the music department later that day:
Mr. & Mrs. Broken,

Mrs. [Principal] had asked that I look into your concerns and respond back to you.  I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  I have met with Mr. [Teacher] earlier this week to go over the concerns that you had.  I asked that he respond back to me in writing addressing those concerns.  I have also asked for copies of the music in question.  Where I have been negligent is then using that information to get back to you.  I will be doing that this weekend.  Again, please accept my apologies for not being timely in responding back to you but I wanted to make sure that all of your concerns are addressed in my response.
So, I'm expecting to hear back from him today or tomorrow.
-BP

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »
You know his response is AT LEAST going through the Principal, and probably the counsel (aka attorney) for the school district before it gets sent to you.  It'll be the height of watered-down PC pablum, apologizing profusely for pi$$ing you off and (if read between the lines) begging that you not pursue it any further.

BrokenPaw, some of us Christians could learn a thing or two from you about maturity, tolerance, and love, imho.

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 07:04:02 AM »
I think you did a good job on your letter.  

What your daughter's mucis teacher is doing can be a problem in many places.  I also agree that since the majority of good choral music is Christian, and the majority of public schools students are Christian, I have no problem with the majority of the music being Christian.  However, I do have a problem when all the music is Christian, when the vast majority is in a school where the majority is non-Christian (there is a school in Baltimore County with about an 80% Jewish student body, they shouldn't have 80-90% Christian music), or when the Christian music is primarily evangelical.  Your concerns are especially valid considering your location (Northern Virginia and Central Maryland are VERY diverse areas).
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 07:11:18 AM »
Another update:

After having heard nothing at all from the Vice Principal In Charge of Doing Something About It, even after I pinged him a couple times, I finally lost what patience I have, and called the school last Friday, and asked to speak to the Principal.  She was very upset to hear that (a) no one had contacted me at all, (b) I'd tried pinging her minion twice and gotten no response at all, and (c) that the chorus class in question was now focusing exclusively on the particular song that we had called out as most improper (specifically, the "Negro" one).

It seems that she had spoken to the chorus teacher directly, and asked the man to contact me directly.  Then she delegated the rest of the matter to the VP.

The teacher never contacted me.  The VP contacted me only once, as I posted before.  Nothing for over a week, then.  

Now that I've talked tothe Principal again, and (it seems) gotten her a bit riled at her underlings, maybe something will happen.  She asked me to stay in close touch with her to keep her informed of how things are going.  I get the impression that she may not even trust her staff.  I suppose it's possible that the VP told her things had been handled.

If I don't hear anything useful by the end of this week, I'm going to demand a conference with the Principal, Vice Principal, and the teacher in question.

Further bulletins as events warrant.
-BP

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 07:42:05 AM »
Keep on them.  Remember they work for you.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 11:14:05 AM »
Any news?

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 09:27:12 AM »
I spoke to the Vice Principal In Charge of Blowing Me Off.  I had to call the school to even get that much from him.  He told me how glad he was that I called, because he'd been trying for several days to get in touch with me, but I'd never been home when he called (and apparently my Caller ID was on sabbatical at the time, too, because it mysteriously has no record of him calling...I should make a note to call Verizon and tell them that my service is flaky).  And all of the numerous and multifarious e-mails that he sent me seemed to have gone astray with no bounce messages (it would seem that the sendmail daemon on my server was being even more capricious even than usual, dropping all those (and only those) e-mails he sent me, and never even logging the fact.  Bloody sendmail.)

Anyway, it turns out that the reason that the entire choral program for this semester has been religious in nature is because (1) two of the songs were picked by someone else in the county and (2) -- and here I quote:
it was black...I mean African American History Month, and the other songs were chosen because they're representative of that culture.
Notwithstanding the fact that my initial complaint was made back in January, after the program had been going on for several weeks, well before BlackIMeanAfricanAmerican History Month began.  And notwithstanding the fact that I can probably point out an awful lot of equally "representative" music that is not all Christian...

He assured me that after making the comment about "Negroes", the teacher in question immediately asked a black student whether he (or she -- I didn't get that particular detail) found the comment offensive, and was assured that it was not.  Also, the teacher went and spoke to the head of the music department (who, coincidentally, is black) and told her about his comment, and she assured him that it was not offensive.  Because, gosh, I regularly run around telling my bosses things that I've said when they weren't around, and asking for their assurance that I havent been a boorish ass.

According to VCICBMO, the songs for the next segment of the course will be (and in fact were already planned to be, we promise) more diverse.

In short, they're circling the wagons and blowing me off.  But I can't prove that they changed things up after I complained.  So I'm planning on waiting until I find out the agenda for the next segment.  I don't see that there's anything much else I can do, at this point.

-BP

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »
Tangent warning:
I really don't have a racially bigoted bone in my body.
However, it really torques me about BlackImeanAfricanHyphenAmerican History Month.

When is WhiteImeanAngloEuropeanHyphenAmerican History Month?
What kind of outcry would go up if someone formed and promoted the National Association for the Advancement of White People?  

So, that would be racist, bigoted, small-minded, ignorant and separatist...
But the NAACP is inclusive, unbiased, open-minded, enlightened and promotes diversity?

GGGGGgggggrrrrrrrrr

Tangent off.