Author Topic: Kids Build 50 mpg / 4 sec 0-60 Soybean-Fueled Car  (Read 4093 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Kids Build 50 mpg / 4 sec 0-60 Soybean-Fueled Car
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:10:55 AM »
Kids Build Soybean-Fueled Car  Shocked

Feb. 17, 2006
Five kids, along with a handful of schoolmates, built the soybean-fueled car as an after-school project.  (CBS)

Link here with pics/video: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/17/eveningnews/main1329941.shtml

(CBS) The star at last week's Philadelphia Auto Show wasn't a sports car or an economy car. It was a sports-economy car  one that combines performance and practicality under one hood.

But as CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman reports in this week's Assignment America, the car that buyers have been waiting decades comes from an unexpected source and runs on soybean bio-diesel fuel to boot.

A car that can go from zero to 60 in four seconds and get more than 50 miles to the gallon would be enough to pique any driver's interest. So who do we have to thank for it. Ford? GM? Toyota? No  just Victor, David, Cheeseborough, Bruce, and Kosi, five kids from the auto shop program at West Philadelphia High School

The five kids, along with a handful of schoolmates, built the soybean-fueled car as an after-school project. It took them more than a year  rummaging for parts, configuring wires and learning as they went. As teacher Simon Hauger notes, these kids weren't exactly the cream of the academic crop.

"We have a number of high school dropouts," he says. "We have a number that have been removed for disciplinary reasons and they end up with us."

One of the Fab Five, Kosi Harmon, was in a gang at his old school  and he was a terrible student. The car project has changed all that.

"I was just getting by with the skin of my teeth, C's and D's," he says. "I came here, and now I'm a straight-A student."

To Hauger, the soybean-powered car shows what kids  any kids  can do when they get the chance.

"If you give kids that have been stereotyped as not being able to do anything an opportunity to do something great, they'll step up," he says.

Stepping up is something the big automakers have yet to do. They're still in the early stages of marketing hybrid cars while playing catch-up to the Bad News Bears of auto shop.

"We made this work," says Hauger. "We're not geniuses. So why aren't they doing it?"

Kosi thinks he knows why. The answer, he says, is the big oil companies.

"They're making billions upon billions of dollars," he says. "And when this car sells, that'll go down  to low billions upon billions."

---------------------------------

I want one........  Cheesy
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
Oh, no! Now the oil companies will hire hit men to burn down their houses, killing them all. You know, just like all the other guys that invented the coffee-can carburetors that delivered 80mpg.

Or,  "Big Oil" will buy their idea for a million or two, and sit on it. They must have 200-300 of these things in the secret lair by now.

;-)

JEB

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:50:35 AM »
Didn't we have an "Oh, woe is me, I feel that the world will end because there is no more oil" thread on APS just a few months ago???

Didn't some sage like individual post on there that as of that time someone was busy coming up with a solution instead of whining and moaning?  Who was that brilliant individual?Cheesy  He's so smart and handsome and a sharp dresser and a great dancer.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 09:52:34 AM »
Here it is, see post #10.  How does that guy get so smart anywho?  Must be his humility?Cheesy

http://d2302.tt32.wellbuiltnetworks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1613
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:56:36 AM »
Oh, no, soon we will run out of soybeans!

DEATH!  CALAMITY!  END OF THE WORLD!  BEARS AND PUMAS LIVING TOGETHER WITHOUT BEING MARRIED!

WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!

I blame George Bush and Haliburton for this soybean shortage.

Ha, hah, read and learn antis!  You cannot stop free, creative people.  They will go around you and your listless, regimented utopian dreams.  Bwaaahahah!  *where's that EVIL smilie thingy?*

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 10:05:55 AM »
Badger

Go back to bitching about monkey butts and ass antlers.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 10:13:18 AM »
We are surely running out of monkey butts and ass antlers.  How can we survive without them?

I blame George Bush and Haliburton.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »
Darn kids!  Making cars that run on soybeans!

Why, in my day, cars ran on petroleum pulled out of the ground!  We didn't have any interest in making a car run on vegetable matter!  

Get off my lawn!

And pull your pants up!

Smiley
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Warren

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:10:06 AM »
Hey EL T did you sprain anything with full auto self-back-patting there?

Great, just what we need a vegan car...

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 11:33:15 AM »
I don't think I've ever actually seen a soybean.  I just figured Kikkoman grew them in a secret lab where they turned them into black juice that you pour on rice.

Fifty miles per gallon of what?  Is it a beanburner?  Do they just pour beans into the gas tank or are they using Kikkoman's?  Cheeseborough, Kosi, what up, yo?
For entertainment purposes only.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 11:45:46 AM »
Honestly, it is stories like these that reminds me why vocational training in high school shouldn't be cut in favor of things like art or language.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
Quote from: crt360
Fifty miles per gallon of what?
Biodiesel.  Make your own: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »
soybean

Uranus is a gas giant.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 12:11:24 PM »
Oooh,  Charby...
That pic's almost...zenlike...
It makes me want to chant, or meditate, or something...
Maybe, roll a doobie.
I am One with the Universe...
Aaauuummmm

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 12:43:08 PM »
well what ever you do, try not to drool on the j and don't bogart it.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 01:12:06 PM »
Simpler looking than I expected - not much of that growing around here.  So veggie burgers are just a bunch of those things smashed into a pattie?  Hmmm . . .
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 02:15:50 PM »
Now all we've got to worry about is the estrogenising effects of soybean exhaust.

Be careful boys. The mechanic of the future may have an awesome curvy figure from behind. But I bet he is mean with a monkey wrench.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 02:51:12 PM »
To power every car in the US, how much land would need to be used to grow enough soybeans to make enough fuel?

How much of the land, now used for produce for consumption, as well as grazing grounds, would be needed to grow enough food for human consumption and enough soybeans for fuel?

Just a thought.  It's a great idea but what is the ratio of food lands to fuel lands.

Wayne

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »
Quote from: USP45usp
To power every car in the US, how much land would need to be used to grow enough soybeans to make enough fuel?

How much of the land, now used for produce for consumption, as well as grazing grounds, would be needed to grow enough food for human consumption and enough soybeans for fuel?

Just a thought.  It's a great idea but what is the ratio of food lands to fuel lands.

Wayne
I wish I still had a source, but I remember reading recently that bio-fuel can never replace crude oil for these very reasons. It takes a lot of organic matter to make the stuff and I dont think there is enough land to make it. Its still a step in the right direction.

I wish they had a better picture of the car, I have a funny fealing that the performance is a result of the cars size/weight.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 03:38:54 PM »
Upon looking at the pics, a bunch of high school kids, in a high school shop class, with a high school shop budget made that?  I was expecting something like a converted Metro.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Justin

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »
I wish I still had a source, but I remember reading recently that bio-fuel can never replace crude oil for these very reasons. It takes a lot of organic matter to make the stuff and I dont think there is enough land to make it. Its still a step in the right direction.
Reason Magazine's Ronald Bailey wrote an interesting article with regard to biologically-derived vehicle fuels a few weeks back.  He pointed out that it's very likely that within a few years scientists would devise new and better crops that would break down into fuel more easily, yield higher quantities of fuel after being processed, and that there would be other developments to increase power output and make processing and refining more efficient.

While I'm no Peak Oil chicken little, it's my belief that the future will include power generated from more than one method, rather than relying on fossil fuels alone.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 05:34:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong, it is a step in the right direction.  I don't care what runs the car/truck that I drive as long as it doesn't cause problems in another area (like eating, I like eating Cheesy).

I too would like to give the finger to butt holes like chavez and the oil barons that get together and regulate the output of oil depending on how they feel that day.  If it could happen, the car in that time travel movie with Jamie Fox would be great, solve two problems at once, trash and gass.  

Another important factor is safety.  Sure, the lighter you build the car the better the gas mileage but then you have to give up the strenght of the metal around you to help in a crash.  Ever seen a fuel efficent tin can after it met up with a non fuel efficent big rig or a normal sized car.. it ain't pretty.  

Then you have price.  The highly touted (is that a word) "Bio-Fueled Vechicles" around here spend over $3 per gallon of fuel.  Now, it was supposed to be cheaper, and it is to make, but it costs more at the station.  The last time I spoke with Grants, a lawn care taker company in town, they were buying bio-diesel for $3.75 a gallon.  So what happened, they raised their rates, and lost about a 1/3rd of their business.  Sure they got a great write up in the fish wrapper (newspaper) but that doesn't pay the bills.

Americans aren't going to pay for something that is going to actually cost them more no matter how enviromentally friendly it is.  You could make a car that could run on sea water but when sea water is then sold at $3.75 per gallon, then they will go back to gas.  Even if it comes out cheaper in the long run, Americans don't look at the long term but only looks at the now.

Also, here in Oregon they are pushing mass transit.  I tried it once.  In my car, as evil as it is, it took me 20 minutes to get across town.  On the bus, it took 3 hours (one way) to get to the same place and I had to switch busses three times, with a minimum wait of 20 to 30 min. between changes.  Not to mention the cold that I picked up, with about half the bus riders coughing and hacking and then touching everything in sight.

That was the extreme test, I tried the short route to work, I work 3 miles from where I live.  After having to walk 3/4 of a mile to the bus stop (in the rain), I waited and then the bus came.  I got on and we headed out.  I got to work 20 minutes from start to finish.  In my car, it takes a good 2 to 3 depending on traffic.  Sure, I could ride a bike but those that say to do so, don't live in Oregon (especially during the winter).

It's good that we're looking at alternatives, but I just hope that everything is taken into account before something is forced upon us by mandates or laws.

Wayne

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 07:24:49 PM »
Then you have price.  The highly touted (is that a word) "Bio-Fueled Vechicles" around here spend over $3 per gallon of fuel.  Now, it was supposed to be cheaper, and it is to make, but it costs more at the station.  The last time I spoke with Grants, a lawn care taker company in town, they were buying bio-diesel for $3.75 a gallon.  So what happened, they raised their rates, and lost about a 1/3rd of their business.  Sure they got a great write up in the fish wrapper (newspaper) but that doesn't pay the bills.
Bio fuel isnt even close to being cheaper at this point. Consider that it isnt any cheaper than regular gasoline right now, and that is after we have tagged a whole bunch of tax onto that gasoline, which doesnt get applied to bio diesel. Of course it is still a cottage industry, so volume will bring down the cost. On the other hand, we are using a lot of recycled materials to make it, and that supply wouldnt hold out at all with a large demand.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 03:20:14 AM »
Biodiesel doesn't necessarily mean soybeans automatically. Soybeans are a comparatively poor source of base oils compared to oil palm (by a factor of 12x production, IIRC), and there's catalytic depolymerization too (breaking any organic matter down using steam and pressure, was a huge story last year, there's a running plant making oil out of the waste from a turkey processing plant).

Neat stuff, if you watch closely.

Warren

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
Also with hydroponics you need not use up farmland for your bio-diesel, just grow the stuff indoors and stack up levels of this stuff. You could get an amazing amount of usable plants out of a 50 story hydro-farm.