Author Topic: Kids Build 50 mpg / 4 sec 0-60 Soybean-Fueled Car  (Read 4094 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Kids Build 50 mpg / 4 sec 0-60 Soybean-Fueled Car
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 08:40:05 AM »
Yes, but don't you get an overwhelming deisre for moo goo gai pan while driving? shocked

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 11:09:56 PM »
Quote from: Iain
Now all we've got to worry about is the estrogenising effects of soybean exhaust.

Be careful boys. The mechanic of the future may have an awesome curvy figure from behind. But I bet he is mean with a monkey wrench.
I feel emasculated just looking at the picture. Looks like rocky mountain oysters at the moment of harvest.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2006, 03:39:25 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I want one.
You're disgusting.

Oh. You meant one of the cars. Never mind.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
erik,

Actually, you don't even need to convert the oil into biodiesel-diesel engines will burn straight veggie oil.  The problem is making it flow easily- a preheater is usually involved.
--------
   It is true that bidiesel will not be able to fully replace petro, but eventually oil will be too valuable to burn, instead going into chemicals, plastics, and soforth.  There will be a need to shift over to other fuels.  BDiesel, ethanol, electric, hydrogen perhaps, maybe even steam again.  The important thing is to not try to make a switchover as the stuff is drying out, but beforehand.  And as a preparedness-type, the simplicity of making biodiesel and ethanol appeals to me
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 06:37:34 AM »
Forget ethanol, butanol is where it's at. Different organism, different process, results in a better alcohol and some other useful chemicals too (acetone, a little ethanol). Doesn't require the sugar load that traditional yeast/ethanol does, it works with cellulose.

IIRC butanol is 97/100 the caloric value of gasoline, only drawback is that it's got a much higher vapor temperature, you'd need direct injection or intake heaters for cold weather.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 07:03:05 AM »
Quote from: mfree
IIRC butanol is 97/100 the caloric value of gasoline, only drawback is that it's got a much higher vapor temperature, you'd need direct injection or intake heaters for cold weather.
So just burn it in a diesel engine?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

publius

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
Quote from: USP45usp
To power every car in the US, how much land would need to be used to grow enough soybeans to make enough fuel?

How much of the land, now used for produce for consumption, as well as grazing grounds, would be needed to grow enough food for human consumption and enough soybeans for fuel?
You don't have to use soybeans, and we actually need less and less land to feed more and more people as farming advances.