Author Topic: Moving to Korea  (Read 1606 times)

esheato

• friend
Moving to Korea
« on: March 02, 2006, 03:47:04 PM »
I received orders to Osan AB, ROK today. Since my last re-enlistment in April 05 gave me lots of retainability the USAF sees me fit for duty in SWA. My RNLTD is 10 Dec 06 so I've got time to enjoy CA for a bit more. My g/f and I are both worried about the uncertainties of "us". I guess we'll figure it out in due time.

Anyway...what can I expect?

Thanks,

Ed

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Moving to Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
Lots of drinking, or becoming a gym rat.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Moving to Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:18:01 AM »
Ah damn!
Weren't you saying you didn't want to get station in Korea at our Yuma shoot?
How long until you're out?

stevelyn

• friend
Moving to Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »
Congratulations on your all expense paid trip to the Land of the Morning Drip.......er Calm. You are going to love Song Ton. I did.Cheesy
Don't worry about your gf and "us". That would be like taking a baloney sandwich to a steak house for lunch.

Camp Humphreys 85-86.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

...has left the building.

Moving to Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 08:18:37 AM »
Expect to eat lots of delicious bulgogi. Cheesy

Dannyboy

• friend
Moving to Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 08:43:46 AM »
Is Dec. when you're leaving?  If so, that's a good time because it's cold and you don't have that overpowering stench as soon as you step off the plane.  Other than the smell, I had a great time over there...even if half of my year was spent in the field.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Azrael256

• friend
Moving to Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 10:39:50 AM »
Ok, my roommate is from Seoul, and I've learned a few things:

When someone offers you some kind of sludgy plant substance that smells like a rotting corpse, you're in for a...  uh...  "treat."  Supposedly the "fresh" kind (that means not from a jar) is better, but when it comes to rotting vegetables, I don't think "freshness" is an issue.

Mexicans ain't got nothin' on Asians for spicy.  You think you've tasted hot?  You're in for a BIG surprise.  Chew on a can of Fox Labs OC spray for a week or two and you'll just *almost* be ready for it.

Koreans watch VERY strange television programs.  Roomie has Korean TV piped over the internet, and it's...  different.  I have seen him sit for hours on end watching a TV program that shows hours on end of some other Korean dude playing a video game I've never heard of.  I'm serious about this.  I don't know what was more disturbing: that he could sit and watch this program for hours, or that I could sit and stare at him in morbid fascination for an equal length of time.

And watch out for the Korean Peggy Hill.  That's his mom.  You'll know her when you see her.  Head the other way.  She's a very sweet lady, but she's 31 flavors of irritating.  Oh, and speaking of 31 flavors, the wasabe and kimchee ice cream flavors (I'm not making this up) were invented by the devil to destroy my faith in humanity.  There is nothing in this world worse than digging into what you're sure is a gallon of mint chocolate chip only to find out that not only is it composed of partially digested plant matter, but it's also so frappin' hot that you'll be dunking your head in the fountain out front to try to cool the flames.

Have fun! Smiley

esheato

• friend
Moving to Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 02:33:32 PM »
You guys aren't helping a bit. Wink

I have to be in country by Dec 10th. I've been avoiding it for the past 9 years, but the gig was finally up. I talked to my E-8 about it today and he absolutely loved Korea. He went so far as to say that he would trade me without thinking twice.

I'm excited...kinda.

Ed

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Moving to Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 04:47:10 PM »
The girls for rent all smell of kimchee.

"Buy me juicee?" Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Moving to Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 05:31:16 PM »
Ah yes, juicee girls.  If one is intelligent, one avoids 'em.   Nothing but trouble.  Of course, trouble is sometimes entertaining.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Moving to Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 07:02:32 AM »
Ed, good chance I'll see you there.  I'm due and come off of an assignment freeze in July.

Was there in 02-03 and had a great time.  Lived off base in a hotel the whole year.  They did my laundry, kept the room clean and everything.  If I go back I'm definitely living off base again.  This time though I'm getting an apartment.

Aragon alley is the party place.  Out the gate, across the main road and the first alley to the left.  You can sit there around 5 PM and watch the jucie parade.  Girls going to work.  You can sit out front with a cold beer in hand as long as you don't go over the yellow line.

Don't turn your nose to the local table fare.  It's good food for sure.  LA buffet is cheap and good if it's still there.  Almost to the end of the shopping area on the right.  Songton nights is another cool bar.  Frozen mugs of beer and after the beer is gone you take the bottom off the cup.  Pull out the ice and throw it at the wall.  If you set off the buzzer you get a free beer.  Kinda cool.  

Do me a favor if I don't join you.  Stop into the Apple Sports bar and say hi to Ann and her husband.  He's a retired American military man and she is Korean.  Best bar in the whole area as far as I'm concerned.  Great people, awesome homemade cheeseburgers, XX Dos Equis and no jucie girls to bother you.  You'll find it soon enough.  It has an awesome reputation.

If your a golfer then Osan has the better course.  Kunsan's sucks.  There is an awesome course just before Seoul that military can play for pretty cheap.  Also, visit Seoul when possible.  They have buses going to Seoul on the weekends for shopping from Osan.  Unfortunately you can't have a vehicle there.  TSgt's and MSgt's could drive when I was there.  I plan on shipping the Bronco if I go over there so I can run some of them drivers off the road. Smiley

If you need any other info then email me at work.  I'm on the global.