Author Topic: Wales vs. the U.S  (Read 2467 times)

Iain

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« on: March 04, 2006, 05:16:43 AM »
Anybody going to be watching the fight tonight?

The Welsh hero is going to be taking on the over-rated Yankee upstart. Or, the over-protected and past his best Welshman is taking on the undefeated king of the super middleweights.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 05:19:36 AM »
So, has the American grown fins, or is the one from Whales sporting prosthetic legs and arms?

A battle of Mabynogionnic proportions...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SkunkApe

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:56:48 AM »
I like Calzaghe in this one, but I wish he was two or three years younger.  I'm afraid Joe's slipping a bit.   I still think he's got enough for Lacy, who he should be able to out-box at mid-range and possibly stop late.

Anybody who has Showtime, check this out.  It's at 9:00 p.m. tonight.  Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy is the undefeated power-punchig American and the IBF super-middleweight champion.  Joe "The Pride of Wales" Calzaghe is the WBO super-middleweight champion, also undefeated, and is the longest reigning champion in boxing today.  He won the title in 1997 and has defended it seventeen times.

The buzz here is that Lacy is a young, strong, murderous puncher, but hasn't fought anyone tough and experienced and can be outboxed.  Calzaghe is a tough and experienced champion that can crack a bit too, but may have made his reputation fighting a string of tomato cans and possibly waited until he was too old to take on a strong challenger.

This match has fight-of-the-year potential.  Two undefeated titlists in a unification bout.  Go Joe, go!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 08:24:49 AM »
Unfamiliar with both, but sounds like a REALLY fun night!  I'm going to check and see if I can pick it up.

edit:
w00t! rolleyes Just got off the phone w/Charter.  I'm hooked and ready...better go get some...beverages...and this will be a Fight Night to remember!

SkunkApe

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »
Enjoy it, Fig, and don't get up!  

Also, HBO is showing the replay of last week's Sugar Shane Mosley and Ferocious Fernando Vargas at 10:00 p.m. (darn good fight) and then showing the live match between hard-hitting rising star Miguel Cotto and the defensively sound Gianluca Branco.  Branco/Cotto should be good, too, but Calzaghe/Lacy is the fight that's got me most excited in a long time.

"For the thousands in attendence tonight, and the millions joining us around the world, live from the MEN arena in Manchester, England, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's show time!"

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »
sshheeewwwww!!!!

i was looking around trying to find the right weapon for wales....

Vodka7

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
Much more interested in Canada v. the US in a different sport tonight Smiley  Been looking forward to BJ Penn v GSP for months now, and Franklin/Loiseau is a great headliner.

Iain

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 02:10:26 PM »
Quote from: yesterdaysyouth
sshheeewwwww!!!!

i was looking around trying to find the right weapon for wales....
If you have a Swansea sized harpoon lying around I won't object...

It's going to be a late night tonight.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 04:25:42 PM »
Nice build up to the fight, interesting background with Jeff Lacy having a wealthy white mentor/benefactor having brought him up out of poverty and advised him as he grew into manhood.  Nice story, but I'm looking to Joe Calzaghe as the Great White Hope.  

What a CLASS act is Calzaghe...softspoken, honest, humble, almost slender and vulnerable in comparison to Lacy's muscular build.  Lacy's got a 3" reach advantage, as well.  Announcers say Lacy's the harder hitter, but that Calzaghe is the better technician.

Oddsmakers have Lacy as a tiny favorite, but not by much...

Lacy's got on a black ball cap turned around backwards...looking very ghetto.  Calzaghe looks like Pierce Brosnan in his tux-like black & white robe...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »
1st round: Calzaghe shut him down completely.  His punches were laser-guided and spot-on.  Rocked Lacy 2-3 times.  Although expectation was for Calzaghe to dance/stay out of reach, they mixed it up and Joe came out on top.  Lacy's nose is bleeding...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »
2nd round: Pace slowed a little...both fighters getting more into their grooves...Lacy looks like he's bracing and on defense...Calzaghe  clearly in command...again.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »
3rd round:  Lacy came out throwing hard, best volleys for both so far...again, Joe's punches landing right where he throws them...Lacy all over the map.  Lacy plodding, Calzaghe still bouncing.  Lacy sweating profusely, and covering up as best he can.  Lacy's head bobbing like a speed bag.  
Points Calzaghe...again.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 04:41:46 PM »
4th round: both fighters tiring; blood from Lacy's nose and right eye.  Couple of long clinches,  Lacy's looking pretty overwhelmed.  Points Calzaghe...again.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 04:46:37 PM »
5th round: Lots of frenzied work from the cutman in Lacy's corner trying to stop the flow.  Lacy comes out attacking, but for every punch he throws, the counter is back at him harder and more damaging...clinches galore, textbook combinations from Calzaghe and wild misses flailing from Lacy.  WHERE is this 3" reach advantage Lacy supposedly has???
More frantic work from Lacy's cutman...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
6th round:  both tiring, but Joe throwing beautiful combinations...Lacy just covering up.  Lacy's right eye swelling really badly, may be closed 'ere long...his head is just bobbing like a speedbag...again.  How is he still standing? TOUGH kid.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
7th round:  Lacy stumbling, but trying to throw some combinations.  Clinches and sporadic combinations with Calzaghe continuing to hack away like he's chopping a tree down.  Calzaghe had him rocked and on the ropes, but ran out of time at the end of the round.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »
8th round: Referee has come over to Lacy's corner between the last 2 rounds and asked if he was alright...new round starts out clinching, both really tired, just jockeying for position.  Both fighters pretty worn out.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 05:02:04 PM »
9th round:  Lacy throwing wild bombs, hoping something gets lucky.  Joe continues the demolition of Jeff Lacy's head.  Calzaghe's combinations remind me of Sugar Ray Leonard during his Olympic career.  Points: Calzaghe.  Again.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 05:06:18 PM »
10th round:  Pace is slowed, but sporadic combinations from both fighters; Lacy's mostly air, Joe's mostly connecting.  Lots of clinching.  Lacy stumbling into the ropes.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
11th:  Lacy got pushed down accidentally right out of the chute.  Lacy's corner told him to go for broke.  I think Lacy's already broke.  Nothing happening there.  The Lacy bobblehead dance continues.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 05:16:09 PM »
12th round:  Flurries from both fighters, Lacy goes down, may have been pushed.  Jumps back up, finishes the fight, but it's all Calzaghe!  Undisputed, unified champ.  
Calzaghe totally dominated this fight throughout 12 rounds, and Lacy barely laid a glove on him.

Iain

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
That was very impressive. Lacy is a tough boy, but I wonder if that shouldn't have been stopped.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 05:37:28 PM »
Quote from: Iain
That was very impressive. Lacy is a tough boy, but I wonder if that shouldn't have been stopped.
I don't think so, but it was clear how totally outclassed Joe Lacy was.

Iain

• friend
Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 12:16:07 AM »
At a couple of points from the 10th round onwards it looked like Calzaghe was hitting him at will and Lacy couldn't do much about it. The business with Lacy's glove in the 12th saved him from a brutal onslaught.

The first fight on the undercard was a good match. The second was poor, and the four round fight was decent. Good to see a night of boxing where there were some real contests that lasted, although I'm not sure how Lacy did that.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Wales vs. the U.S
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
I got to see a replay this morning of the Cotto-Branco fight (both seasoned and fighters who've won 25-30 fights each, no losses).  Cotto, the fighter from Puerto Rico, may have broken Branco's jaw in the process of winning the decision.  Another good fight.