Author Topic: Can anyone identify this melody? Certain it's Russian orSoviet - Oleg?  (Read 3619 times)

DJJ

• friend
This was in the Discovery Channel series on Soviet aircraft titled "Wings of the Red Star", whose soundtrack featured Russian/Soviet music. It had some of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", and another one that turned out to be a song called "Katyusha".

It was a march, heavy on the percussion. This is a MIDI I put together:

http://media.putfile.com/Russian-or-Soviet-melody

Ring any bells? It's been suggested it's the one the submariners sing in "Hunt for Red October", but I don't think it is. Anybody have a tape or DVD they can check?

So far, APS is batting 1.000 on my research queries. Don't let me down!

Edit: can't seem to get the link to "Katyusha" to work. Doesn't matter.

RGO

Can anyone identify this melody? Certain it's Russian orSoviet - Oleg?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 06:25:54 AM »
The song the submariners sing in "The Hunt for Red October" is the Soviet national anthem, which is not what you posted.  The song you posted IS in the movie, though, during one of the battle scenes, I think.  I don't know the name of it, but you may be able to look up the songs in Red October to narrow it down.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 06:36:35 AM »
I tried - the song may appear in the movie, but the soundtrack only has songs written for the movie, so it's not there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:07:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure that it is in Hunt for Red October, and I THINK it's the song that's playing in the background as the Red October puts to sea.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 07:40:58 AM »
I HAVE the song that Mike Irwin mentioned on my laptop and I'm pretty sure the song you posted is it.  I recognized it off hand and then listened to my version and they sound the same.  I thought that was the Soviet National anthem.  That is what the mp3 is labeled as, "Hunt for Red October - Soviet National Anthem."  But mp3s are often mislabled, so I can't say for sure.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 07:54:53 AM »
Can you post it, email it, or put it on putfile for me?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »
Do you have Limewire or a similar P2P service?  If so, search for "Soviet National Anthem" or "Hunt for Red October."  Downloading it from there will be quicker than anything I can give you.  If not, let me know and I'll send it to you.

My search turned up the same file labeled as "Soviet Navy Hymn", so that is another possibility.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 08:26:49 AM »
I'm going to get arrested by DHS for downloading all this communist music...  I listened to the Soviet National anthem and it sounds different than the song from "Hunt for Red October."  It's much more orchestral and choral, so it may just be the way it's played is throwing me off.  But I think it's a distinct song.  Which leads me to think that the song from "Hunt for Red October" may, in fact, be the Soviet Navy Hymn.  Resonable for a movie about the soviet navy.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
Negative on the Limewire or P2P.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 11:53:24 AM »
Check your e-mail...

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 01:11:30 PM »
That's certainly the same piece as mine. Much better sounding than my MIDI, too. Still don't know what it is, but at least I'm not imagining I heard it. Thanks.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »
"Hymn to the Red October" -Basil Poledouris, composed for the movie.

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Music/SearchResults.aspx?SEARCH=HUNT+FOR+RED+OCTOBER&sec=Album&si=ccity-prod&channel=b2c&partner=cc&catOid=-13220

Click on the first sample file to listen. The riff you MIDI'fied is at the end of the sample. Wish I could understand Russian so I knew what was being sung...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »
No luck on the google... anybody else have a translation of that??

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
Yep, turns out this was actually a Soviet-sounding tune written just for the movie. The Discovery Channel used a mix of the real thing and a Hollywood knockoff.

Now the final, burning question is this: What was it that Nikolai Volkoff used to sing? Cheesy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 05:55:20 AM »
Now the final, burning question is this: What was it that Nikolai Volkoff used to sing?
I'm pretty sure it was a bad imitation of a rhinoceros snorting Jello.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB