Main Forums > The Roundtable

Colonial pays huge ransom

<< < (2/8) > >>

Cliffh:
What am I missing here?

Seems that, if you have a good, recent backup you could simply restore the system and be back up & running?

I realize it'd be a bigger deal than if my laptop got shut down, but still....

lee n. field:

--- Quote from: Grandpa Shooter on May 13, 2021, 05:52:54 PM ---I just read an article about Colonial paying a $5,000,000 ransom to the hacker group that tied up their computer system (which apparently did not cripple the pipeline) after claiming they would never do that.  Aside from that being a dangerous concession to terrorism, doesn't that signal the world that we are so weak that they can shut down our systems at will?  What's next, the railroads, canals, power grids, medical technology.......?

--- End quote ---

100 bitcoin, would be my guess

(last  ransomware I helped with, small business, was asking .5 bitcoin.)

230RN:

--- Quote from: ConstitutionCowboy on May 13, 2021, 06:25:09 PM ---Trace the money and blow them off the face of the Earth.

Woody

--- End quote ---

A "turn the other Little Boy" attitude if ever I saw one.

lee n. field:

--- Quote from: Cliffh on May 13, 2021, 06:47:25 PM ---What am I missing here?

Seems that, if you have a good, recent backup you could simply restore the system and be back up & running?

I realize it'd be a bigger deal than if my laptop got shut down, but still....

--- End quote ---

Depends on how big and complicated their systems are, how good their backups (and security) are.  How well things are documented.  Did it get into the SCADA stuff?

Ransomeware stress tests your recovery.  And even if they get a good decryption key, they're looking at a lot of work.

(Last ransomware remediation I did, last week, they had no backup.  Zero, zip, nada.  Fortunately for them the new owner had moved from a locally housed application, to the cloud based version. )

ConstitutionCowboy:

--- Quote from: WLJ on May 13, 2021, 06:34:35 PM ---Wrong president

--- End quote ---

Yup. Elections have consequences.

Woody

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version