Author Topic: Lost on the Appalachian Trail  (Read 45 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lost on the Appalachian Trail
« on: Today at 11:03:22 AM »
I ran into this tragic story from 2013. An elderly woman was hiking the Appalachian Trail and got lost while going off trail for a bathroom break. She remained lost for a month before dying of exposure (based on the journal they found).

This is one of those instances where she did the recommended thing by staying in one place, but would have been better off moving. Apparently Search and Rescue came within 100 yards of her tent, with dogs even, and missed her.

https://historicflix.com/the-heartbreaking-tale-of-geraldine-largay/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Lost on the Appalachian Trail
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:09:11 PM »
100 yards is pretty far in thicker woods.  I can see how they wouldn't see her.  I am curious if they were making noise, but if she was sleeping maybe it wouldn't matter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Lost on the Appalachian Trail
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:31:54 PM »
100 yards is pretty far in thicker woods.  I can see how they wouldn't see her.  I am curious if they were making noise, but if she was sleeping maybe it wouldn't matter.

No doubt, which is why it appears she made the normally safe move to plant herself. Sadly, she was also pretty close to a clearing they flew over where they would have spotted her. The article mentioned she was "easily lost", and I wonder if she was just too scared to move even 50 yards?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."