Author Topic: any info on a baby eagle?  (Read 4628 times)

Scarecrow

any info on a baby eagle?
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
I am new to the site. was just wondering if anyone had any experience with a baby eagle? I am very tempted to buy a full size .40 caliber baby eagle in brushed chrome finish. I really like the way it looks, just wondering if anyone has anything to say about performance or reliability. thanks
I used to be so indecisive.... now I'm not so sure.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: any info on a baby eagle?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 09:40:03 AM »
From what I understand they are rock-solid reliable, if a bit on the heavy side.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
The Baby Desert Eagle has a few cosmetic differences, but is basically a Tanfoglio/CZ-75.

It shares nothing other than the name with the real Desert Eagle Pistol, although IMI likes to use the latter to capitalize on with respect to their Tanfoglio/CZ-75 copy.

If you can find a good deal on a Baby Desert Eagle/IMI Jericho, by all means get it, it's a solid and accurate gun.

However, if you can find a good deal on a Tanfoglio/EAA Witness/CZ-75, you'll have the same gun.  Wink

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
"Jericho" is a cooler name than "Baby Eagle" to me.

Though I'm not sure why they named a pistol after something that fell apart following a loud noise.  smiley

WeedWhacker

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »
Though I'm not sure why they named a pistol after something that fell apart following a loud noise.  =)

Best statement I've read all year. :D

I really like the 9mm Baby Eagle/Jericho 941. Though I prefer the CZ-75B to it, both are solid firearms worthy of anyone's cash.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:58:25 PM »
I used to own a .45 acp baby eagle. It was very accurate but it tended to FTB or FTE if the chamber got dirty. Usually every 50-75 rounds I needed to brush out the chamber with hoppes and brass brush.

I ended up trading it in plus cash for a XD-9.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scarecrow

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
thanks for the replies. I understand that the baby eagle is another copy of the Cz, and I actually own a full size witness .45. but as I understand there still are some differences, such as the bore. I guess the rifling s supposed to be "better" with the baby eagle? has anyone really noticed a differenece as far as that goes?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:12:40 AM »

Though I'm not sure why they named a pistol after something that fell apart following a loud noise.  smiley

'Cause the Hebrews were on the winning side of that battle.  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 04:53:02 AM »
When I first saw the thread title, the first thing I thought was, chew your food really well before you swallow it, then regurgitate into the baby eagle's mouth. cheesy
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:04:57 AM »
Old Josh blew a mean horn, man.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »
I've owned four Baby Eagles over the years, the full and semi-compact 9x19mm, the full-size .40, and the .45 (available in semi-compact only).

All four pistols preferred Mec-Gar magazines.  Factory magazines may in fact be Mec-Gars; the only time I ordered a "factory" magazine I went through a dealer and I ended up with a Mec-Gar.  The only problem was with the .40, in that two of the three mags wouldn't always lock the slide open on when empty.

The 9x19mm magazines also had a very annoying rattle when loaded to capacity, worse than any other pistol mag I've encountered, including S&W 5906 and Kel-Tec mags.  With one in the pistol and one in a pouch at my 9 O'Clock, I sounded like a cowboy wearing riding spurs.

All three calibers shot well, but I had the best experience with the .45.  I think the Baby Eagle in .45 is a "sleeper," although the prices I've seen at dealers lately may indicate that the popularity of the brand is increasing ($579 new).
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
There delicious breaded and deep fried. Almost as good as a condor omelet.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwbVQetLqfM

How about a baby otter and badger?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »
If they're a CZ copy, should be dead reliable in 9mm at least.

(and not to be a fanboy, but for the same price or less, you can get one of the Czech Republics' finest exports)
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Scarecrow

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »
so from those who have had experience with the baby eagle, could anyone tell me if this magazine would be compatable with the full size baby eagle?

http://www.huntershide.com/item/56546_CZ_High_Capacity_Magazine__Mags_17Rd__.aspx

thanks again

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »
I am new to the site. was just wondering if anyone had any experience with a baby eagle? I am very tempted to buy a full size .40 caliber baby eagle in brushed chrome finish. I really like the way it looks, just wondering if anyone has anything to say about performance or reliability. thanks

One of my ex's has a Baby Eagle as her carry piece.  She has a .40 compact.  Little on the heavy side, in my opinion.  Rock solid and pretty accurate.  She tossed a lot of different types of ammo through it right after she purchased it.  No feed problems.  Ergonomics are decent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
Scarecrow, CZ magazines are not compatible with Baby Eagles.  However, Tangfolio Witness magazines will work for their equivalent Israeli counterparts.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scarecrow

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »
Scarecrow, CZ magazines are not compatible with Baby Eagles.  However, Tangfolio Witness magazines will work for their equivalent Israeli counterparts.

really? I thought that cz, witness, baby eagles all used the same mags? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. well glad I asked then. I appreciate the feedback. thanks

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 01:30:34 AM »

And, IIRC, that AR-24 pistol imported by Armalite also takes Witness mags (but NOT CZ mags)......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

hexidismal

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »
really? I thought that cz, witness, baby eagles all used the same mags? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. well glad I asked then. I appreciate the feedback. thanks

Nope the baby eagle will use the witness mags, but not the cz. I'm quite certain.

am very tempted to buy a full size .40 caliber baby eagle in brushed chrome finish.

Hmm.. you mean like this one ?   Cheesy   Well ok, so it's actually not full size .. it's the semi compact but they are quite close. And it is a .40 and it is brushed chrome. I like mine just fine. It's heavier than you might expect it to be. This does help to keep that snappy .40 recoil manageable though. I believe it to be built a bit more solidly than the cz. I would say its more "inspired by" the cz, rather than a clone. It's fairly different in some respects.

I'm hexidismal on THR, TFL, APS, and many other forums.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
There delicious breaded and deep fried. Almost as good as a condor omelet.

Yep, but nothing tops Baby Spotted Owl Hot Wings and Drumsticks.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scarecrow

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 02:07:32 AM »
Hmm.. you mean like this one ?      Well ok, so it's actually not full size .. it's the semi compact but they are quite close. And it is a .40 and it is brushed chrome. I like mine just fine. It's heavier than you might expect it to be. This does help to keep that snappy .40 recoil manageable though. I believe it to be built a bit more solidly than the cz. I would say its more "inspired by" the cz, rather than a clone. It's fairly different in some respects.

yeah pretty much like that one:). actually the first pistol I ever bought was that gun on the picture. semi-compact .40 except in the black finish. the black finish seems to wear pretty easily though. I sold it, but now I want one again. so gotta go for the chrome finish this time. you're right the weight help with the recoil. makes it easier for rapid firing. how long have you had your's? what kind of ammo have you found that works best?

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »

"Glock" was already taken....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »

"Glock" was already taken....

No, no, no.......first come the "KABOOM"....then it flys apart......you're thinking of Kel-Tec.....  grin